Volvo XC40 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Did you use the car since you washed it?

Rolling the car around at low velocity would not produce enough heat to dry them. Is why I get up to 40 mph before hard non abs breaking (the p button). I do this 3 times in a row after washing them and I have had no issues

I do agree though that this is something that is not exactly ideal! If I did not have to drive to hand wash the car I would be tempted to was it and put it away as well.

Good luck.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I slammed the brakes on rolling back and forth. If I have to wash then drive then Volvo will be buying the car back after the 4th set of rotors and pads. I also dried the brakes with my blower below to make sure the rotors were dry.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
If slow moving not enough kinetic energy stored to convert via friction to heat.

I would argue that the method being used it not working.

But you have been doing this for a while. Anything different this time than others that did not break
The car ?
1. Time until driven?
2. Temperature?

·
Registered
934 Posts
If slow moving not enough kinetic energy stored to convert via friction to heat.

I would argue that the method being used it not working.

But you have been doing this for a while. Anything different this time than others that did not break
The car ?
1. Time until driven?
2. Temperature?

Was 3 days before I drove it, temps were a little cooler and we have a lot of rainy humid days. It is not the first time I have washed the car since getting the brakes done last time, this is 3rd wash since. If I have to worry about weather, humidity and making sure I drive the car after was then this car is junk. Oddly even under mild braking they seem to engage the brakes now as even when I was driving slowly and applied brakes the noise got worse so it seems they do at least make the pads drag a bit, maybe to trying to avoid these issues. Also the IHU is acting up again, might be the Spotify app, but I doubt it, once I start playing a song if I hit pause on the screen or the pause button the music will not stop. I am so conflicted, I really like the car when it is no issues, but if every other month I need to have issues fixed it is not worth it.

I already email Volvo and dealer reminding them this is attempt 2 at brakes and when I bring it in will mention the IHU/Software as another issue. I figure at this rate by end of year or a little after, wither the car is fixed of they will have bought it back. And no way I would get another one.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Here is clip right after I started driving this morning if you crank the volume up you will hear it while driving and then when braking.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Yuck ….

that is not a good sound :(

·
Registered
934 Posts
Next time It goes to Volo on a flatbed maybe if Volvo keeps paying to flatbed my car they will get the hint. I wish I had waited for the dashcam to finish booting to hear the clunk. I will go through the cam footage tonight to see if it caught it.

Reactions: SeattleCat

·
Registered
934 Posts
Just talked to service manager, he will have loaner ready for me and have shop foreman handle the car and contact Volvo. I will also talk to Volvo as it looks like they will again have the car for a while. Was very clear to Volo in my email that as soon as the car meets lemon law requirements I will file for them to buy it back.

·
Registered
934 Posts
My suspicion is the pad material is not very strong and when the brakes seize the clunk is part of the pad breaking off and the grinding is that piece wedged in between the pads and the rotor. At some point if they do not reformulate these pads they will be buying my car back as I don't see this being the last time. I am even careful when cleaning the car not to get wheel cleaner or anything back into the pads. Total ridiculous that I have to worry that any time I wash the car I may create a break issue. I really was debating C40 to replace her T5, but I am a "One and Done" mind set for me with Volvo.

I would be more understanding, but every time is a debate with dealer about a loaner as well., "first come, first serve" and I was like you have had my car 3 times I am not going to keep renting or ubering around.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
109 Posts
Just talked to service manager, he will have loaner ready for me and have shop foreman handle the car and contact Volvo. I will also talk to Volvo as it looks like they will again have the car for a while. Was very clear to Volo in my email that as soon as the car meets lemon law requirements I will file for them to buy it back.
That is unusual and you don't hear many others with this problem. I haven't changed my ways from my previous cars and get car washed at auto car wash normally once per week then drive home normally about 2 miles and park in my garage. I only drive my car 3 or 4 days a week and not had any problems with brakes.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Oh my, so sorry to hear that..... to Seattle's point, Volvo needs to pinpoint the root cause, otherwise it's as good as suggesting that after every wash (assuming it seizes up), bring to Dealership to replace pads AND rotors while leaving the Car at Dealership for a week. Simply doesn't make sense -- there's a bigger issue here. For ANY car, we shouldn't have to drive it back and forth or ensure all wheels are dry before parking in the garage.
Since my own incident of the pads and rotor replacements in June, i've washed the Car several times....thankfully, have not experienced the same ordeal.

I hope they're able to shed some light at the Dealership given this is a repeated issue ! And costly to Volvo as well.
Let us know what the outcome is....

·
Registered
934 Posts
I am baffled as I have washed it twice before this latest time with no issues. I wash my car the same way every time. I always wash my P8 and her T5 at same time. Her T5 gets less use than mine and sits just as long, no issues there. I try to wash it 1-2 times a month. At this rate pads and rotors every other month will get very expensive and I will start having Volvo send a flatbed next time. If they are just going to put same pads and rotors on then I see me back again in a month or so.

And I agree I am not changing my habits to protect the brakes. I may start reaching out to a lemon law attorney to get some advice as I would think brakes are a safety function and I am not sure the law gives them as many attempts for safety related failures.

Reactions: MMK

·
Registered
934 Posts
I am glad I at least glad I got the $750 gift cards, but honestly not worth all this hassle. I would prefer a trouble free car. No way I see this car going 6 years for me. Really wishing I had leased then I would beat the heck out of it and throw them the keys in 36 months.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I forgot about my security cameras. The below link is the video from 2 of my cameras. The camera in the basement garage doesn't have sound which is why I put the outside camera in the corner as it has sound and you can hear the massive sound of the pads being ripped from the rotors.

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
68 Posts
I forgot about my security cameras. The below link is the video from 2 of my cameras. The camera in the basement garage doesn't have sound which is why I put the outside camera in the corner as it has sound and you can hear the massive sound of the pads being ripped from the rotors.

"Ripped" is a pretty strong word.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I would rather never hear any sort of ripping sound around Margo …

La la la places hands over his cars ears

41 - 60 of 128 Posts