Volvo XC40 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
La la la. No bad sounds for my car. Just a quiet purr ….

I hope they fix your car soon as you have had awful luck. It can only get better right?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Not sure. If this keeps happening they will be buying my car back soon. This is 17 days without it combined and brakes classify as a safety issue I would think where they get 1 attempt to fix them, and they have had 2.

Reactions: SeattleCat

·
Registered
277 Posts
Better than a crunching sound ;-)
Interesting - had the issue somewhat with our 2019 XC40 that the brakes would stick a bit but never where it took chunks of the pads off. Now with our 2021 recharge when it is put in gear I can hear the electronic release of the brakes and then once I release the brake pedal the car moves easily with no sticking. We live in south western Ontario near Niagara Falls and have lots of humidity and when after washing the car I do not take any extra measures to dry the rotors or pads - just park in the garage and then when we go to use it again later that day or next day or two days later no issues.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Interesting - had the issue somewhat with our 2019 XC40 that the brakes would stick a bit but never where it took chunks of the pads off. Now with our 2021 recharge when it is put in gear I can hear the electronic release of the brakes and then once I release the brake pedal the car moves easily with no sticking. We live in south western Ontario near Niagara Falls and have lots of humidity and when after washing the car I do not take any extra measures to dry the rotors or pads - just park in the garage and then when we go to use it again later that day or next day or two days later no issues.
When they replaced pads/rotors last time I was fine, put the car in gear it would roll. The first time they did pads/rotors was similar build up. Car would usually not roll without a slight acceleration, then a clunk one day and they replaced pads/rotors first time. This was was fine up until the clunk which was much louder than first time, but car sat 3 days vs. 1 the last time. They need to change the pad formulation on the reas or design in a parking gear that engages to prevent the shafts from turning in the rear.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Oddly I can't find many part numbers for much of the P8 online. When I look at the parts they replaced on my P8 it was:

31687441 - rotors, that come up as XC60 XC90 rotors online with 18 braking system
32287446 - pads, that come up as a wide range of Volvos

If I am looking up the gas 2021 XC40 online correct; that rotor appears to be either 31471476 or32300123 and the pads comes up as 32276933 (replaces 31471471) or 32276934 or 32276931 (replaces 31471408) 17 or 32300811 18 as well as a few more options, but never see the same number listed as for the P8.

At the end of the day my guess is the pads are the issue in that the material binds to the rotor. I wish there were decent third party ceramic pads to try, but I can't seem to find any. Trying to fond some third party ceramic pads to try.

Reactions: shawkinaw

·
Registered
934 Posts
OK, so EBC got back to me and they say their DP62246 is their version of Volvo pads 32287446. I have always like EBC brakes, was hoping they made the Red, but Green will do. Now to see if I can convince Volvo to try them and still warranty me.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
OK, so EBC got back to me and they say their DP62246 is their version of Volvo pads 32287446. I have always like EBC brakes, was hoping they made the Red, but Green will do. Now to see if I can convince Volvo to try them and still warranty me.
Are they ceramic?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Says Kevlar, but I have an emall back to them asking if they have metallic content or are they just ceramic with kevlar. I used the Red Stuff on my Audi A6 and really liked them. They had good stopping power and lowered the dust from the Audi considerably. The green stuff should be fine for the rears as they don't do much braking.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Their answer back is they are "organic" and will not disclose the contents, seems odd, but my guess is they are not very metallic if any metal at all. Service manager is on vaction this week so will wait until he is back next week and see if he wants to discuss with Volvo to try them and see.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I assume organic means natural and the opposite of the toxic metal dust our normal breaks produce. One of the many reasons I like evs for the regenerative non metallic dust creating behavior.

hope they go well.

·
Registered
934 Posts
"organic brake pads are a real thing and are made from natural materials such as glass and rubber, often reinforced with synthetic Kevlar, that have been bonded together with high heat resistant compounds. These kind of brake pads are the most inexpensive option, they are much softer, quieter, but also wear much faster."

Also I found an interspersing thread on a Subaru forum where the answer was ceramic pads and the person upgraded to slotted rotors.

Now I need to convince Volvo to try this and still support it under warranty.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Lawyer said the brake issue is not serious enough to qualify as a safety defect and thus I need to meet the 3 attempts or 30 days out of service.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Lawyer said the brake issue is not serious enough to qualify as a safety defect and thus I need to meet the 3 attempts or 30 days out of service.
Would this be considered your 2nd attempt ? Does all 3 attempts have to occur within a specified time period ?

·
Registered
934 Posts
This is attempt 2 for brakes, but I am thinking clock will be the trigger since I am at 19 days (2 for phantom keys, 12 for first brake repair, 5+ and counting for second brake attempt.) In GA after 3 attempts you need to send a demand notice and give them a final attempt, I believe at 30 days they no longer need to be given any more attempts. I figure at best I get the car back later this week or next week which will be around 24+ days. And if all they do is pads and rotors again I expect this to happen again in a month or so. If they fail again I assume even Volvo will not want to try any more as I think they are baffled now as well. I will suggest to them to try OEM pads that are organic or ceramic as long as they support the effort and not tell me I am on my own.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Dealer called, calipers are on order. I suggested they talk to Volvo about trying organic pads. There is no ETA on the calipers, but sound like a few days at best.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Thanks, but struggling on how the calipers are doing this. The constant grinding and the the fact that the grinding gets louder under braking tells me the calipers are working, but we will see.

Reactions: AlanKilian

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
68 Posts
Thanks, but struggling on how the calipers are doing this. The constant grinding and the the fact that the grinding gets louder under braking tells me the calipers are working, but we will see.
"HE KEITH" have you personally been in contact with Volvo Customer Service? You can reach them via phone and/or email along with snail-mail. They responded to me very quickly when after 4 days we needed a new IHU screen and we were without a brand new, 4 days old, new XC40. After some problems with reloading everything since the dealership was kinda in the dark, we were only the 4th they sold, Customer Service provided me all the info to get everything reloaded, AND they also provided me with some "financial assistance" for my "troubles" with a brand new Volvo.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I have been in contact with Volvo for months. They hear me out, log my concerns and point me to the dealer. The dealer has been good, but some things they need authorization for from Volvo. I did get the $750 gift card last month after they had it 12 days as that TSB offer they had for people taking delivery before 6/1 (I just made it 5/29).

·
Registered
934 Posts
Dealer service called, still no ETA, calipers that are on order. Volvo deciding what to do about pads, but will get new pads and rotors as well. 21 days and counting. Getting closer to 30 days every day.

61 - 80 of 128 Posts