Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This discussion started in another thread but should probably be broken out separately.

Previous post: XC40 P8 deliveries delayed?

Because the XC40 Recharge (and other BEVs) use regen for a considerable amount of their braking, they don't use their brakes as often. This leads to less brake wear (good), but also allows the rotors to build up more surface rust. This isn't normally an issue but a couple of us have noticed after driving in the rain that the vehicle can have a hard time after it has been parked over night because the brakes are rusting to the pads a considerable amount (more than I've ever experienced before). This is pretty formal for all cars but there seems to be an excessive amount of it happening with the XC40s.

For the last few day's we've had quite a lot of rain and I've had this happen a few times now. This morning the brakes were very stuck, the car actually squat a good bit before it finally broke free. Once it broke free, there was an audible noise from the rear that I believe was the brake pad rubbing on a high spot from the pad and rotor rusting together. This went away after an application of hard braking and everything sounds fine now and my 20 mile commute went normally.

I'm not sure I've ever hard brakes rust that severely, especially not for sitting over night in a garage. I think this could be corrected with updated rear brake pads that are less rust prone.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Funny VW says this is a reason why they did rear drums on the ID.4

·
Registered
118 Posts
This discussion started in another thread but should probably be broken out separately.

I'm not sure I've ever hard brakes rust that severely, especially not for sitting over night in a garage. I think this could be corrected with updated rear brake pads that are less rust prone.
A previous software update (week 5) supposedly included the following:
"Optimization of the automatic function that cleans the brake discs."

·
Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
208 Posts
I've been exclusively using OPD, so lots of regeneration braking and little mechanical braking. I've noticed when leaving my garage a dragging sound, which I believe is the rust on the calipers. I haven't noticed any effect on performance, like needing extra acceleration to break the calipers free.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I would get that dragging scuffing noise even on our Acura RDX.

·
Registered
14 Posts
For what it's worth, I got the same thing on my BMW i3. As someone else said, it seems to be a pretty common thing and not necessarily something to worry. Of course, I'm not a mechanic, so take that with a grain of salt. :)

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
You can also break hard from 40 to stop somewhere safe every now and then to polish off the pads.

There is also I read an option to get porche break pads which I believe are tungsten carbide. Personally I am going to use the braking hard method. When the wives or dog are not in the car :)

Reactions: BikerBill

·
Registered
5 Posts
I started this discussion on a previous thread. It took 4 days, 3 hours to get my car back. I thought they were going to ask for ransom! Got 3 different explanations as to why it took so long and why it occurred. Not a mechanic but as best I can tell pad stuck to caliper on passenger rear wheel but it took a while to get to that conclusion and then to get correct parts. Also car had to be checked out by regional tech manager, which I think was a good move. My take is that since this is a new offering they are being particularly careful in how they approach problems and also they are obviously still learning about the car at the dealer/ regional level. The car drives perfectly now but it hasn't rained since I got it back. Time will tell but so far so good.

·
Registered
609 Posts

Because the XC40 Recharge (and other BEVs) use regen for a considerable amount of their braking, they don't use their brakes as often. This leads to less brake wear (good), but also allows the rotors to build up more surface rust. This isn't normally an issue but a couple of us have noticed after driving in the rain that the vehicle can have a hard time after it has been parked over night because the brakes are rusting to the pads a considerable amount (more than I've ever experienced before). This is pretty formal for all cars but there seems to be an excessive amount of it happening with the XC40s.

For the last few day's we've had quite a lot of rain and I've had this happen a few times now. This morning the brakes were very stuck, the car actually squat a good bit before it finally broke free. Once it broke free, there was an audible noise from the rear that I believe was the brake pad rubbing on a high spot from the pad and rotor rusting together. This went away after an application of hard braking and everything sounds fine now and my 20 mile commute went normally.

I wished I had seen your post first. I had started a thread about “Brake Problems” after I decided for the car to get towed to Dealership after 15 miles of loud “thudding sound” which I didn’t think was “normal” in any circumstances. It went down hill trying to get the car in Reverse out of garage and the word “squatting” you’d used is perfect explanation. It was certainly doing that then a super loud “thud” as if it was finally “released” then the Swedish thudding loud sounds as the wheels turn
My car is still at Dealership since Thurs. by time it got there by tow, the tech didn’t hear anything. I even drove with him and sure enough didn’t hear anything.
Supposedly they’re waiting for a 3rd party tech to further check to conclude issues and decide whether or not they will release the car.
Question : Has the noises return ? Did the Dealer change any parts ?

thanks !

·
Registered
609 Posts
I started this discussion on a previous thread. It took 4 days, 3 hours to get my car back. I thought they were going to ask for ransom! Got 3 different explanations as to why it took so long and why it occurred. Not a mechanic but as best I can tell pad stuck to caliper on passenger rear wheel but it took a while to get to that conclusion and then to get correct parts. Also car had to be checked out by regional tech manager, which I think was a good move. My take is that since this is a new offering they are being particularly careful in how they approach problems and also they are obviously still learning about the car at the dealer/ regional level. The car drives perfectly now but it hasn't rained since I got it back. Time will tell but so far so good.
Same boat. Car been at dealership for days they still not sure what they’re looking at. Question: Do you know if any parts were replaced and or fixed ?

thabks !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For what it is worth this problem has not replicated itself to the same extent for me since my initial post. I'm not sure why that would be the case as I've driven in rain a few times but I would speculate the pads wearing in to be responsible for the change. I still get a little bit of "stickage" but it's comparable to what happens with any car at this point.

·
Registered
609 Posts
For what it is worth this problem has not replicated itself to the same extent for me since my initial post. I'm not sure why that would be the case as I've driven in rain a few times but I would speculate the pads wearing in to be responsible for the change. I still get a little bit of "stickage" but it's comparable to what happens with any car at this point.
Great to know ! Thanks for the feedback. Just now I had shared messages on this thread with the service Mgr to give him a head start. I found out my P8 is the first one at their service station, so needless to say, they have NO clue nor experience of how best to approach it. Aiyai yai yai….

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wished I had seen your post first. I had started a thread about “Brake Problems” after I decided for the car to get towed to Dealership after 15 miles of loud “thudding sound” which I didn’t think was “normal” in any circumstances. It went down hill trying to get the car in Reverse out of garage and the word “squatting” you’d used is perfect explanation. It was certainly doing that then a super loud “thud” as if it was finally “released” then the Swedish thudding loud sounds as the wheels turn
My car is still at Dealership since Thurs. by time it got there by tow, the tech didn’t hear anything. I even drove with him and sure enough didn’t hear anything.
Supposedly they’re waiting for a 3rd party tech to further check to conclude issues and decide whether or not they will release the car.
Question : Has the noises return ? Did the Dealer change any parts ?

thanks !
Problem has not returned.

Work order shows noise coming from right rear caliper sticking causing brake pad material to separate and stick to rotor. Replace right rear caliper and pads and bled brakes. Repairs inspected by District Tech Rep.

Car was repaired at North Point Volvo, Alpharetta. GA. Service Mgr might be able to offer your service people advice. Also understand Dyer and Dyer Volvo, Chamblee. GA had a car in at same time mine was in with exact same issue so they too might be able to offer assistance. District Tech Rep for Atlanta area should have insights from both repair jobs.

Good luck.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Problem has not returned.

Work order shows noise coming from right rear caliper sticking causing brake pad material to separate and stick to rotor. Replace right rear caliper and pads and bled brakes. Repairs inspected by District Tech Rep.

Car was repaired at North Point Volvo, Alpharetta. GA. Service Mgr might be able to offer your service people advice. Also understand Dyer and Dyer Volvo, Chamblee. GA had a car in at same time mine was in with exact same issue so they too might be able to offer assistance. District Tech Rep for Atlanta area should have insights from both repair jobs.

Good luck.
THANK YOU very much - Passing these insightful info to the Service Manager here in Grapevine, TX

·
Registered
609 Posts
Upon Tech's independent findings, I was informed that there were signs of the Brake "chipping" - so they have decided to replace the Pads and Rotors.
I find it interesting those have to be replaced when the Car is only a few months old since manufactured. But HEY, thanks for this Forum, I was persistent that they check what other Owners have shared, and what other Dealers had done. From there, the Techs couldn't just "dismiss" the issue and release the car as it DIDN'T make any noises AFTER it had been dropped off by the Tow Truck ! I even drove the Car with the Service Rep later that day, sure enough NO thudding or sounds coming out but persisted for them to look thoroughly (had shared posts from this thread) as I wouldn't have had it towed for NO reason!

Once I get an official work order, I will post the update in case other New Owners search for a thread on "Brakes", they'll be able to get more insights.

THANK YOU all !

·
Registered
934 Posts
Upon Tech's independent findings, I was informed that there were signs of the Brake "chipping" - so they have decided to replace the Pads and Rotors.
I find it interesting those have to be replaced when the Car is only a few months old since manufactured. But HEY, thanks for this Forum, I was persistent that they check what other Owners have shared, and what other Dealers had done. From there, the Techs couldn't just "dismiss" the issue and release the car as it DIDN'T make any noises AFTER it had been dropped off by the Tow Truck ! I even drove the Car with the Service Rep later that day, sure enough NO thudding or sounds coming out but persisted for them to look thoroughly (had shared posts from this thread) as I wouldn't have had it towed for NO reason!

Once I get an official work order, I will post the update in case other New Owners search for a thread on "Brakes", they'll be able to get more insights.

THANK YOU all !
Some design that a new car with low miles is having brake and rotor issues already.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Some design that a new car with low miles is having brake and rotor issues already.

I assume they tested this car? Heck I assume they tested it in the cold wet Scandinavian zone.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I said to Tech "....the brakes are chipping already ? Car was just manufactured few months ago...." Now according to him, he has seen it on another Nissan sports ....who knows ! But i'd rather them take it seriously now and replace parts then later when they would deem it as "wear and tear so sorry you have to pay for them...."

Bad is - Yes, this is surprising, rain/shine, had never experienced it on any of my Cars before
Good is - They're taking notes, and replacing, not taking any chances

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
245 Posts
I was talking with a co-worker, who said "time to switch to stainless steel". This got me curious, so I did a little reading. It sounds like SS rotors are available, but not ideal for brake rotors. Iron rotors have better braking characteristics and handle heat dissipation better.

But I wonder, since our cars use regen for the majority of stopping duties, whether SS rotors make sense.

Idle thoughts....

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
There are expensive and better breaks from Porsche that I do believe you can get. It sure how much they would cost.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts