Volvo XC40 Forum banner
301 - 319 of 319 Posts
I have been driving mine now for 3 weeks. Mechanically it works great. I am only getting 150-170 on a full charge! The problem is the electronics are messed up. It wont let me add my profile back and I can no longer do a factory reset, Every time I use the car I have to re-pair my phone and agree to google and location. Bringing it in Tuesday for a fix, but it is a real pain in the behind. Shame on the engineers that did sucha poor job on this. Yes, I'm happy the car runs, but for that much money the whole shabang should work right!

Ouch. Sorry your having such a bad software time SK. Has your car had the latest update? If. It it should help the power consumption and maybe stability of the software.

Please let us know what they do to your car and the results of taking it in. So much for the 2 years or 20,000 miles before going in :(

Thanks for the support. I don't know if i have the update, i will find out tomorrow. BTW a/c minimal, that might be the heat pump issue!
You are correct that the car should work, but the Retailer should not have released it to you three weeks ago. They were told to wait until the software was ready during the week of April 25. If you bring it back now, they can put the correct software in which should help with the issues you are experiencing.

I got my P8 today, 489 days after my deposit. I was post #3 in this thread :). Really happy to finally have the car. I've learned a lot and feel like I could write a novel about my customer experience in the last year and 5 months. There were a few great parts (like the ability to track the ship transporting the car from Europe to the U.S.). And there were a lot of not-so-great parts (mostly the void of information and communication from Volvo). In the end, I'm thankful for the opportunity/privilege to be able to have such a nice car (many are not so fortunate), and I'm thankful for this forum/community for all of the information and help you've provided to each other ... I've learned a ton from you all. I can now officially join the "XC40 Recharge - New Owners" thread :)

Congrats on you car!!!!

Now you get to be part of team “has real answers”.
and totally right that we are lucky to have ordered or the actual having of such a lovely car.

Now please go find a nice muddy or snowy steep slope so I can find out how well the off road mode works :p ( semi joke)

Enjoy the car.

Reactions: westmo
I have been driving mine now for 3 weeks. Mechanically it works great. I am only getting 150-170 on a full charge! The problem is the electronics are messed up. It wont let me add my profile back and I can no longer do a factory reset, Every time I use the car I have to re-pair my phone and agree to google and location. Bringing it in Tuesday for a fix, but it is a real pain in the behind. Shame on the engineers that did sucha poor job on this. Yes, I'm happy the car runs, but for that much money the whole shabang should work right!
The range and inefficiencies of the car are the big thing stopping me from getting one. Add to that the not ready for prime time electronics and I will pass for now. The car would be for wife and she would freak out with range anxiety if the range were in mid 100s and then all the electronic quirks. Hate to say thi, bit one of the more refined EVs on the road is the Chevy Bolt.Sure they got screwed with LG battery fire issues, but their range and electronics seems well baked. My wife loves the XC40, but I am scared to be dealing with these issues if they pop up on her.

Has anyone shopped around to see if we can negotiate $ off MSRP? My experience in pre-ordering cars in the past is that once a dealer is selected, you cannot shift the order to another and thus you lose your negotiating leverage.
was there any response to this question re negotiations? If buying off the lot, will dealers negotiate on an xc40 recharge?

was there any response to this question re negotiations? If buying off the lot, will dealers negotiate on an xc40 recharge?
dealers here in GA are taking up to,$4k off the Recharge on a purchase, have a PenRed account and another $1K. On leases they are passing the $7500 fed credit through to the lease and generally about $3k, but the lease money factor translates into 5.6% and the rental/mileage rates are crazy high. One option we are considering is to lead and then 6-12 months in buy it if it trouble free and minimizethe lease costs and then have the credit already applied.

One option we are considering is to lead and then 6-12 months in buy it if it trouble free and minimizethe lease costs and then have the credit already applied.
I didn’t know that could be done. We just signed our 3 yr lease a couple days ago. Dealer indicated that six months prior to lease end we could talk to them about purchasing the existing car (or buying/leasing a new car). I thought doing anything earlier would trigger big contract termination fees. So I figured we were “locked in” for at least 2.5 yrs

I didn’t know that could be done. We just signed our 3 yr lease a couple days ago. Dealer indicated that six months prior to lease end we could talk to them about purchasing the existing car (or buying/leasing a new car). I thought doing anything earlier would trigger big contract termination fees. So I figured we were “locked in” for at least 2.5 yrs
You should be able to buy at any time. I have not leased a Volvo but all my previous cars ever month there was a buyout number. Termination fees are if you try and turn car back early.

Reactions: westmo
You should be able to buy at any time. I have not leased a Volvo but all my previous cars ever month there was a buyout number. Termination fees are if you try and turn car back early.
Termination fees are applied for ending the lease prior to the full term of the lease.

Even if you buy the car, the lease contract may have a fee added to the buy out price. The fee is often the unrecouped interest charges, depreciation and additional costs.

Remember, when you have lease a car, you have no equity. The buy out is the initial cost minus the assumed depreciation. There may be an ill defined lease termination fee that is contingent on whether you turn the car in, buy the car, or buy another Volvo.

Read the lease carefully and specifically cost or early termination plus the possibility of added fees from unexpected depreciation. Remember, those leases are written to favor the company providing the lease. They often have arbitration clauses preventing any legal action.

I will read my current Acura lead, but any time I have called them the payoff on the statement is what they tell me I would write them a check for. They’re may be some processing fees and maybe other makes are sneaky, but I trade in cars before lease end all,the tie, and the payoff on the state,ent is what I owe. I suspect that payoff has some stuff built in.

No there are negotiating the price. Volvo has said upfront this is the price, no negotiating. Then with the global shortage of computer chips for vehicles, other manufacturers are not negotiating and even selling over MSRP due to low supply of new cars.

Termination fees are applied for ending the lease prior to the full term of the lease.

Even if you buy the car, the lease contract may have a fee added to the buy out price. The fee is often the unrecouped interest charges, depreciation and additional costs.

Remember, when you have lease a car, you have no equity. The buy out is the initial cost minus the assumed depreciation. There may be an ill defined lease termination fee that is contingent on whether you turn the car in, buy the car, or buy another Volvo.

Read the lease carefully and specifically cost or early termination plus the possibility of added fees from unexpected depreciation. Remember, those leases are written to favor the company providing the lease. They often have arbitration clauses preventing any legal action.
When we were picking up my wifes XC40 T5 in Bursting Blue, i asked the finance manager some lease questions. The only fee to buy out prior to lease end is the normal lease hand-in fee, $350 and then sales tax on the car's value. So in theory I could lease the car in and in a few months buy is for the payoff + $350 + Taxes.

Sorry for the delayed follow up. Once the dealer updated the software, everything worked fine. I am even getting better range. The a/c is now working. The next problem is figuring out how to get the music I own in the car without having to fiddle with my phone when I am driving. You Tube music is about as clear as mud with their explanations. I had to buy an app because despite what YTM says, it won't upload WMA. I was able to upload my MP3, but I can't get them on any kind of library or play list. Again, nobody seems to care. Once you buy the car you are on your own.
In fairness, the service people at the dealer were excellent ad really seemed to care. There is just a huge knowledge gap. Volvo corporate: you stink!

Ha ha the music over laps with the infotainment thread. Nothing like a list of 1000 artists you have to scroll though by hand every time !!

301 - 319 of 319 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.