Volvo XC40 Forum banner

XC40 Recharge

100K views 318 replies 51 participants last post by  SeattleCat 
#1 ·
I've paid the $1000 deposit for a pre-order of the full EV XC40. I owned a 2014 BMW i3 full EV for three years, and just about to take delivery of my third BMW PHEV. In July, my lease of the BMW 330e PHEV ends and I'm looking forward to the XC40 Recharge. That will give me a 2020 BMW 530e PHEV for inter-city trips and a city car in the XC40 Recharge. The Recharge is a much more impressive car than the i3, on paper and in driving the ICE XC40. Suppose I open the discussion on the Recharge with some questions and comments. I do not see any other posts on the Recharge.

First, none of the four local Volvo dealers in the Houston area know anything about the car or the pre-order process. One wondered if it was going to be like the "Care by Volvo" program where the business arrangements are directly with Volvo with the Dealer serving only a delivery role. I don't think this makes any sense for Volvo, but time will tell. The Polestar 2 uses exactly the same driving train and battery as the Recharge and it is currently in pre-production testing at the China factory. First deliveries in the USA are projected to be in June. This, and the price, are very much up in the air, at this time; because of pending new Trump Tariffs on China. The XC40 Recharge is also supposed to be manufactured in the China facility, but it is also to be made in the Ghent, Belgium factory and I expect that this will be the source for USA Recharge deliveries. In a perfectly rational World, the West Coast would get China-made cars and everything East of the Rockies would get Belgian-made cars. But, it isn't a perfect World, is it? A European site has the production date for European deliveries listed as "coming". I am certainly hoping for a mid, rather than late, 2020 date.

I'd love to take a Sweden delivery of the Recharge, but there is no info on this, yet. Norway and Sweden have the most advanced charging networks available, so I wouldn't anticipate any difficulties with this.

Anyone else want to contribute to a discussion of the XC40 Recharge?

See less See more
#2 ·
Ted, thanks so much for getting the conversation started around the XC 40 Recharge, and congratulations on your order. I’m considering ordering one too as I live downtown in a big city and really don’t even need to own a car to be honest. So I appreciate your info and sharing your experience. Please keep that up. I’m looking into starting a new forum category or two specific to the Recharge. In the meantime I hope other posters will reply to your thread here.

#4 ·
Yes, a dedicated Forum would be good, but I suspect we'll need a few more users for that to be viable. I've thought that the uncertainty surrounding further China tariffs was a big driver on Volvo's failure to add any new info on the Recharge. As I understand it, the Polestar 2 is exclusively being produced in China and I suspect that Volvo is using the Polestar 2 as a stalking horse for what they will be doing with the Recharge. Supposedly, there will be a big announcement on the status of China tariffs on Jan 15, but this administration lies about everything, so I'll believe it when I see it. I also question whether any responsible company would make investment decisions based on tweets, or USA govt statements.

I've been very disappointed with the lack of any followup, at all, from Volvo. Not only have there been no public statements, I as a "reservation" holder have received ZERO contact from Volvo regarding my reservation. No goodwill being generated there. BMW is also starting production of it's BEV SUV, the i3X in China for the Chinese market and has announced it's plans to export these China-built vehicles to the ROW. I suspect that the uncertain China tariffs are also impacting BMW's plans for the USA for the iX3. At the moment, it "first to the market" for me.

#98 ·
I'm surprised that Volvo has provided little to no communication. This seems to be very similar to Polestar 2 deposit holder experiences. I have a deposit in for a P2 and may actually see it in the next few weeks. However I think the Recharge might be my better option even if I have to wait a few months. Much of the XC40R's guts are the same as the P2 but I think I may be more happy with the SUV setup. I do like the screen built into the dash, heat pump, mud flaps, colour choices, leather and price tag.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
I just put my deposit down, as well. I'm not fully committed to the Recharge yet, but it appears to be the only model in the right niche. I owned a 1999 Volvo C70 coupe years ago and loved it, but eventually traded it in for a 2011 Leaf. I love driving the Leaf, and especially love the reliability and freedom offered by all-electric driving. In 9 years the only repairs/maintenance I've had have been new tires, a new 12-volt battery (not the traction battery) and one software update. I never go to gas stations or even charging stations, since I charge at home every night. But the Leaf is showing its age and it had some new model shortcomings like a poor heater, second class sound system, and of course, deteriorating battery which limits the range.

I'm looking for a small EV SUV. The Kona is too small and cheapish and the luxury brands like the Jaguar I-Pace are too big, too flashy, and too expensive. I test drove the Volvo XC60 plug-in hybrid as well as other plug-in hybrids. The Crosstrek was my favorite, but its electric range was just too short and in any event, I wouldn't be free of the gas pump. Besides, I've reached the conclusion that hybrids are a transitory phase that will disappear. It just doesn't make sense to have two power plants. It's too complicated, too expensive and takes up too much space. So for now I'm camped out waiting for the Recharge.

Thanks for starting this forum thread. I look forward to hearing more from others as things get closer.

#7 ·
I’m in Seattle.

Like Ted, I have not had any response yet to my reservation/deposit (which I submitted on Jan 3).

I also learned yesterday that there is a hybrid (PHEV) version of the XC40 Recharge that is apparently now being produced and sold outside the U.S. I thought there was only one version/model of the XC40 Recharge - the “all electric” or “pure electric” version (BEV). But apparently they will produce both a PHEV and BEV version of the XC40 Recharge. I don’t think they’ve made that very clear in their marketing, and it wasn’t clear in the online reservation terms and conditions either (the only term throughout the doc is “XC40 Recharge”). Also in those T&C’s it says “3.5 Please note that it might not be possible to change the specification of your Volvo after we have sent you the Reservation Confirmation.” ... but during my online reservation/deposit there was nowhere that any model/options/specs were selectable that I recall?

#8 ·
I don't think the PHEV version is called a Recharge, just the XC40 PHEV, but I could be wrong. I knew they had one in Europe which is why I decided to test drive the XC60 PHEV. It handled fine, but the dash and controls were overly complex, I thought. The BEV version should be better in that respect without the need to switch between gas and electric, or have city mode, freeway mode, etc. I haven't heard from Volvo, either.

#10 ·
The Volvo marketing info I have seen says they are going to offer PHEV's throughout the line. I just got a 2020 BMW 530e PHEV with the new 12 KWh (10KWh net) battery. I want to replace my BMW 330e PHEV (6 KWh net battery) with a vehicle like the XC40 EV. At present, My wife can do 75% of her local use on the 530e battery and I can do 90% on my 330e. I would like for my wife to be able to use the XC40 EV and not have the hassle of mentally working out where she switches over from EV to gas in her 30 mi commute. I also like having her in a high clearance vehicle for the 12" floods we regularly get in Houston intersections. I'd take the 530e whose 22-25 mi EV range would satisfy 100% of my local needs and we'd have it for trips without worrying about charging. It also rides like a limo and with all the discounts and incentives comes in at about where I expect the XC40 EV to be priced (both before TC).

#11 ·
Westmo - when I got my reservation confirmation, it said that I would be contacted when it was time to get ready to produce the car for my specified options. They advertise 7 colors, I believe, so I'm sure that's selectable, and I imagine there will be other options offered at that time.

I never really wanted an SUV because I don't need a big one and I thought they were environmentally irresponsible gas hogs as well as selfish to go around blocking the view of normal sedans and coupes, etc., but a small SUV EV obviates most of those concerns. I've decided I do want the extra height now in self-defense. SUVs and pickups have taken over the market so much that I need one just to be able to see. Now I have to take my life in my hands every time I back out of a parking spot in a lot or garage with straight in parking. There's almost always an SUV on one or both sides blocking my view to the sides. The backup camera is fine for straight back, but doesn't help to see cars or pedestrians coming from the sides, often moving fast. Similar problems happen when I want to turn right at a stop sign, but a big SUV wanting to turn left pulls up next to me blocking my view of traffic to my left. I have to wait for it to have clearance both ways and turn. I also go geocaching and often park in rutty, muddy lots or on unpaved shoulders of mountain roads, so AWD and high ground clearance can be helpful, although the Leaf has always done OK.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ditto, Rat. It's self defense, but it unfortunately comes with much worse comfort on the pot-holed Houston streets. We just traded the wife's BMW X5 PHEV for the 5 sedan and it was like riding a bucking Bronco. Wanted it for the ground clearance, but too many trade offs. We tried the ICE XC 40 and it seemed to be the best compromise in size, comfort, and height. We could find no "perfect" solution. We are hoping that the extra battery weight will smooth things out more than is already the case, but the XC 40 had a more comfortable ride than the X5, as it was. Test drove the Audi eTron four times and comfort was excellent but it's just TOO BIG!

I've owned many performance cars, but stopped doing track days when I turned 70 and lost my "seat of the pants" sensitivity to what the car was doing. I remember the same message: "You will get a chance to configure in a future message". I also got the impression that the Recharge was going to be very highly specced as normal and the major choice would be Color.

#13 ·
It's interesting because in the body of the pre-order confirmation email it says "We will reach out to you when it is time to configure your vehicle details and get it ready for production" but in the attached Terms and Conditions it says "5. COMPLETING THE PURCHASE OF YOUR NEW VOLVO 5.1 After the Reservation Confirmation has been sent, a Volvo Customer Care representative will contact you as soon as possible (no later than 7 days from the Reservation Confirmation) to discuss further details. We will then place the order for the Volvo XC40 Recharge car on your behalf with your chosen Dealer. If you wish to discuss pricing or financing options you should contact your Dealer directly."

#14 ·
Yes, I remember it exactly that way now. So much for 7 days.... I'm really disappointed in the followup by Volvo for what they say is a very important initiative. I don't mean followup in the form of firm commitments, but followup in terms of letting those of us that have paid money up front know that we are on their radar.

#15 ·
I too am very disappointed in Volvo regarding followup after pre-order and really any further information about the car. I also pre-ordered a Mustang Mach-e because of unknowns around price and range. 200 miles will be a non-starter for me unless it is a real bargain, but it's likely to be much more expensive than the Kia Niro that gets 250 miles with a smaller battery. Ford has managed to keep interest in the Mach-e active by taking the car around for viewing at dealerships and smaller auto shows. They've also sent out email to let people know what they are planning. Maybe more information about the XC-40 Recharge will be forthcoming around the time of the Geneva Auto Show.

#16 ·
Me too. Have a pre-order for XC 40 Recharge, Mach-e and the Tesla Truck. Just saw the Mach-e at the Houston Auto show and it's gorgeous in white--a real winner. My reservation is for the $40K Base model Mach-e and I'm expecting it to be less than the XC40, for about the same range. I expect the next model up of the Mach-e to be about the same cost as the XC40: about $50K before incentives, with greater range because it has a longer floorboard for a larger battery. I also expect the Ford dealers will be discounting a few months after intro, because they are Ford dealers. Will the Volvo have brand cachet compared to the Mach-e? Perhaps, but I don't think enough to offset a price several thousand dollars more than the Mach-e and lower range, unless Ford completely screws up the intro. If the XC40 were available today, I'd buy it. At the end of the year--jury's out. There will be some competition then. The now-available Hyundai and Kia EV's are setting a price point substantially below what I think the XC40 will retail for. While the Volvo WILL have brand cachet over the Koreans in the short term, not so sure in the longer term. Kia, in particular, is coming on as a premium-grade vehicle. The only thing holding them back is their dealerships--VERY low rent compared to Volvo.

#17 ·
I had a Google alert on XC40 Recharge but had to cancel it. I was getting four or five alerts a day, occasionally more. The links brought me to various sites, often with wrong or conflicting information, mostly just puff pieces with no real or new information. One article (Forbes, I think) even said it was being put out by Volkswagen. Well, VW is European and the first three letters are right. Close enough. I'll set the alert again every couple of months.

#18 ·
Same for me. I've hung in there because it seems that Volvo is ignoring us and some press release may be the only way to find out. I suspect the car will be released in Europe first and a presser from there may be the only way we will find out. If I had any confidence at all that Volvo would actually contact me with info (as one of those "thousands of orders") I'd drop the alerts, too.

#19 ·
I wrote to Volvo customer service to comment on how in three months since the reveal there has been virtually nothing forthcoming to keep interest in the XC40 Recharge, in contrast to Ford, Tesla, and even VW. They responded:

"I wanted to reach out to you let you know we have not received any new information regarding the XC40 Recharge. Customer's will be notified via email when it is time to configure the vehicle and at this time we should have more information on pricing/ packages. Please let us know if you have any other questions. "

I have many other questions, but I'm sure it's unlikely that I would be getting any answers.

#20 ·
I'm interested in the XC40 Recharge and I considered pre-ordering but Volvo hasn't made clear exactly what pre-ordering does. I guess you will get notified earlier when the cars are available. But the reason I'm reluctant is because the $1,000 it actually goes to the dealer and tells them "I'm very anxious to get this car and I'm going to pay full retail or more for it". If I knew that a pre-order car would lock in the price at MSRP it would be more attractive to do it, but Volvo specifically says that pricing is up to the dealer and there aren't many Volvo dealers in the area.

#23 ·
Hard to give you a definitive answer as Volvo has been totally silent since I placed the pre-order. I might cancel it if I even knew how to do that. At the time of sign up, Volvo said that they would ask for my "preferred dealer" when it was time to place an order. Have heard nothing since. Anticipating the typical Dealer shennanigans, I e-mailed each of the three Volvo dealers in Houston asking them how much they would discount off MSRP, so that I could choose which dealer to designate. All I got back was being placed on the standard ad push from each of the dealers. We don't know if pre-ordering even places us on a priority delivery list. When Audi had a pre-order list for the e-Tron, you got to do a test drive about a week early. Frankly, I'd cancel my pre-order and get the $1000 back if I could find out how to do that. I tend to agree with you that it just puts us on a "sucker list" for the dealer.

#21 ·
fbrunet99, your concerns are valid. I signed up to take a test drive for a new model Subaru last year (Crosstrek PHEV). I kept getting marketing emails (and still get them). When I showed up at the first dealer after being notified they were in, I couldn't take a test drive because all the models had already been sold for over MSRP. At the second dealer the salesman took me out to the car and before letting me in said I had to agree to pay $5,000 over MSRP in order to test drive. I scoffed. He went back inside to get the key and never came out, leaving me standing in the rain. I went back to the first dealer a few months later and this time they had the car for me to drive, but the only one they had had both a dead 12V battery and a dead traction battery, so it couldn't be driven in electric mode, but when I walked away, the manager chased me out to my car and said he'd sell it to me for $2,500 over MSRP. In the forums for that model, everyone was confirming they had to pay over MSRP. That seems to be the norm for new models in short supply, at least in the PHEV/EV world. It seems the sales people and maintenance people are clueless about them, too. I had a good experience with making a deposit on my Nissan Leaf in 2011, though. The price was fixed well in advance and so were the color and options. Volvo hasn't communicated, but at least the dealers aren't inundating me with ads and spam.

#22 ·
Re: Sales and maintenance people are clueless about EVs: I've heard several times that there is a disincentive for dealers to sell EVs because there is almost no maintenance needed. Once they sell you the car they won't ever see you again for oil change, timing belts, alternators, etc. They might see you for brake inspection or something but EVs have less brake wear too due to the regenerative braking.

#24 ·
I thought Volvo might have taken a lesson from its horrendous Care By Volvo Subscription introduction in the US that left many people frustrated including - like me - a first-time Volvo purchaser. It’s disappointing they are apparently repeating the same m.o. of taking people’s money and then dropping all communication for months. I hope someone at Volvo might read this and get the message that they are going to lose business if they don’t step up.

Don’t worry about the dealer getting your info as a jazzed customer. You are, and they’ll figure that out eventually anyway. No one is going to be getting any breaks on the Recharge for a while, anyway.

#25 ·
I cancelled my order. Just bought a 2020 BMW 530e PHEV at a good price, which will serve 90% of my driving in EV mode. I'll take another look at the Volvo in a couple of years. If there had been any information from Volvo on timing/price/delivery process, I might have waited.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.