Volvo XC40 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Practical improvements: LTE stability, bug fixes to eliminate the need to reboot the IHU on a weekly basis, the ability to monitor my 12v battery (this may exist already, idk)

Aesthetics: I'd like another instrument cluster option or 2. or at least more customizability/color changes etc, not sure if a start up/power down taillight animation is possible but hey a guy can hope

Lifestyle: DOG MODE/CAMP MODE, bike hitch mode so I don't have to trick the car, PAAK would be nice but no way would i not also bring my real key given how glitchy things have been

I could take or leave apple car play tbh

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge 1.8
15 Posts
It'd be nice to have

1: -Park Assist
2: Instrument panel to show cars around you as you drive. Seen this in the Genesis, very cool.
3: Side camera turns on when you put you turn signal on. Seen this in a Hyundai, very nice when parking near a curb.

·
Registered
260 Posts
i would love to see the temperature of the battery pack - that would be useful information for preconditioning/driver knowledge.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Practical improvements: LTE stability, bug fixes to eliminate the need to reboot the IHU on a weekly basis, the ability to monitor my 12v battery (this may exist already, idk)

Aesthetics: I'd like another instrument cluster option or 2. or at least more customizability/color changes etc, not sure if a start up/power down taillight animation is possible but hey a guy can hope
I would like to see more info like the Polestar has. I wonder if Polestar has their own team on the software or have they partnered with Volvo on that as well? If so then clearly the code base is there.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
It is sad that polestar and Volvo do not share work. Seems like both are having to re invent the wheel.

Is the polestar hardware that different?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ability to display engineering information such as battery temperature (as mentioned above), motor rpm, kW numbers on the driver display to go with the analog line already there. Probably as options, because some people prefer to keep things simple.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I have wanted my geek out data since I got the car. Especially if I can pull it to my phone/pad:computer. Hat would be hours of entertainment and information :)

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
It is sad that polestar and Volvo do not share work. Seems like both are having to re invent the wheel.

Is the polestar hardware that different?
i am betting other than the display that the IHU and other components are shared. I am curious how the Polestar and Volvo teams work on software, if they share the duties or each do their AAOS integration and overlays on their own. Would also be interested to know how Geely fits into all this, are they involved with the software dev as well for their other brands?

Reactions: SeattleCat

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have wanted my geek out data since I got the car. Especially if I can pull it to my phone/pad:computer. Hat would be hours of entertainment and information :)
i’m still trying to get the emulator running in Android Studio, but the OS has all of this info available there’s just no app to display it.

Once I can actually get some of the sample code running I’ll see if I can start pulling and displaying some of the nerd-out data.

Reactions: bluecar

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
i’m still trying to get the emulator running in Android Studio, but the OS has all of this info available there’s just no app to display it.

Once I can actually get some of the sample code running I’ll see if I can start pulling and displaying some of the nerd-out data.

Sweet :) I look forward to it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
  1. Return of Pilot Assist to the steering wheel buttons. It is much better to be able to activate/deactivate Pilot Assist with your left thumb while Adaptive Cruise Control is being used (much easier than having to drill down in the menu to turn it on or off while driving). Perhaps leaving the choice to the driver - have menu selections that give you the choice of (a) Pilot Assist always on with ACC; and (b) Pilot Assist off with ACC (but manually added via steering wheel). Best of both worlds.

My 2022 already does this. You can set pilot assist in the settings so essentially anytime I press the ACC button it's also Pilot Assist.

I'm with the folks asking for stability. My car is at the dealer for LTE/GPS issues right now :(

It would be cool to see the polestar power upgrade as an option!

·
Registered
451 Posts
My 2022 already does this. You can set pilot assist in the settings so essentially anytime I press the ACC button it's also Pilot Assist.
Actually, your 2022 does -not- do this. What the person (you quoted) was saying is that EARIER (previously, prior to v1.7) -- the RIGHT button on the LEFT thumb (caps for clarity) would toggle. So where you are right that you can go into settings and turn on/off Pilot Assist -- the switch between ACC/PA was done "on the fly" on the steering wheel. No need to go into settings/menus.

Example: You're driving down the road with full PA engaged, and the car is doing great. You enter into a construction zone, that has a lot of chicanes or other left/right maneuvers. Chances are good the PA system wont work great, but the basic ACC (adaptive cruise control) will be satisfactory.

In the CURRENT (v1.7 and later) iterations, you basically have to 100% turn off the system, -or- go into the deeper settings menu (unsafe while driving to do this, especially in a construction zone).

In the OLD (pre v1.7), you just hit hit the right arrow (" > ") with your left thumb, to toggle between ACC and PA, such that now the car would still ACC, but the auto steering "portion" was turned off (PA). In this case, you're now steering, but the speed sensitive to traffic remains.

This is just one example of the many use cases where you may want one, versus the other, and a quicker way to toggle between. FYI -- in my 2022 polestar 2, you were(are) still able to switch between the two using the steering wheel control as aforementioned here.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Actually, your 2022 does -not- do this. What the person (you quoted) was saying is that EARIER (previously, prior to v1.7) -- the RIGHT button on the LEFT thumb (caps for clarity) would toggle. So where you are right that you can go into settings and turn on/off Pilot Assist -- the switch between ACC/PA was done "on the fly" on the steering wheel. No need to go into settings/menus.

Example: You're driving down the road with full PA engaged, and the car is doing great. You enter into a construction zone, that has a lot of chicanes or other left/right maneuvers. Chances are good the PA system wont work great, but the basic ACC (adaptive cruise control) will be satisfactory.

In the CURRENT (v1.7 and later) iterations, you basically have to 100% turn off the system, -or- go into the deeper settings menu (unsafe while driving to do this, especially in a construction zone).

In the OLD (pre v1.7), you just hit hit the right arrow (" > ") with your left thumb, to toggle between ACC and PA, such that now the car would still ACC, but the auto steering "portion" was turned off (PA). In this case, you're now steering, but the speed sensitive to traffic remains.

This is just one example of the many use cases where you may want one, versus the other, and a quicker way to toggle between. FYI -- in my 2022 polestar 2, you were(are) still able to switch between the two using the steering wheel control as aforementioned here.
The pre 1.7 is how Volvo has had it for years. To drill down in a menu system while driving to deactivate PA makes no sense from a safety perspective. Toggling on/off with the left this is safer and much better.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Ah I see what you mean. I don't get the need I guess. I'm currently in a 2020 s60 loaner and find it kind of annoying to have to toggle it on. That said it's weird the left/right on the left side of the steering wheel have no use.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Ah I see what you mean. I don't get the need I guess. I'm currently in a 2020 s60 loaner and find it kind of annoying to have to toggle it on. That said it's weird the left/right on the left side of the steering wheel have no use.
Yeah I can totally understand why it wouldn’t matter. Our XC40 belongs to my wife, and she told me she doesn’t miss it because she never toggled it. That said, I find myself driving ACC vs PA at various times, so I enjoyed having the granular control. Odd also that Polestar still has it the old way, too.

BTW— to your comment about the buttons doing nothing — I forget where I saw/read it but I had seen somewhere that either Volvo or Polestar said they would implement features, over time, that would utilize those buttons. I’m not really sure what they would be, as I’d hope/assume they’d pertain to Pilot Assist (given the proximity to the cruise control buttons). Who knows?! LOL

·
Premium Member
Volvo XC-40 pure electric
24 Posts
Hi there!

1) Apple car play support (ASAP)
2) Hope to see (some day, not on the next update) Park Assist (XC40 in Brazil comes with perpendicular parking sensors on the bumpers). Even full driving system, like Tesla :D
I agree! They need better Google attention to Portuguese number recognition for addresses. I end out changing to English to enter an address and back to Portuguese for navigation itself.
Apple support would be glorious!

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
As long as it does not get confused and lock the doors with your keys inside ….
They'd solve that problem by using the phone as the key. After all the key in electronic anyway. That should eb easy.
Then it will be easy to complete the entire automatic cycle, plus driver profiles.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
As Volvo strides to remain competitive, I would expect the software engineers will continue to focus on DC fast charging. Now that Tesla has begun to open their super chargers in The Netherlands, Volvo may need to adjust their algorithms to maximize charging speed when using a Tesla charger.

Where I live, Electrify America has been building 350kw DC fast chargers. Not sure if software could be adjusted to condition the Volvo battery to charge faster while utilizing this new equipment.
As I understand it the registration process itself established the connection logic so any connected car will charge with spsefifc logic without driver knowledge. It's still in beta in the Netherlands, but I was told that each manufacturer will need to exchange data. That is no problem for anything sold in the EU because all them already have CharIn CCS compliance. If anybody doe not know CharIN is the parent of CCS.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts