Volvo XC40 Forum banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I tried a little experiment today. We have a HUGE hill to climb (which I did with opd off), but on the way back, (as I climbed the small hill to get to the big hill) I turned on opd while depressing the "gas" (OMG! I have to get used to another term for it! :) ). Then I coasted/depressed accelerator on the way down and saved LOT of energy and brakes by having opd on. As I approached the level part at the bottom, I turned opd off with accelerator depressed again. I'm getting smoother at it. Personally, I dislike having to depress the pedal the whole time that I'm driving.

But . . . back to my original wish . . . since Volvo discouraged using opd on the fwy, then it would be good to have some way to turn it on/off easily on the go. The video did not give a reason why it is discouraged.

Good discussion! Thanks all.
I wish they would day why they discourage it …

As to saving energy with opd … you did not. Both opd and non opd use the same decel system. It blends the braking so seamlessly you do not realize it is doing it.

Next time you are going down a bit hill in non opd using the brake pedal look at the regen bars …

·
Registered
58 Posts
I tried a little experiment today. We have a HUGE hill to climb (which I did with opd off), but on the way back, (as I climbed the small hill to get to the big hill) I turned on opd while depressing the "gas" (OMG! I have to get used to another term for it! :) ). Then I coasted/depressed accelerator on the way down and saved LOT of energy and brakes by having opd on. As I approached the level part at the bottom, I turned opd off with accelerator depressed again. I'm getting smoother at it. Personally, I dislike having to depress the pedal the whole time that I'm driving.

But . . . back to my original wish . . . since Volvo discouraged using opd on the fwy, then it would be good to have some way to turn it on/off easily on the go. The video did not give a reason why it is discouraged.

Good discussion! Thanks all.
It would be nice if you could turn it on and off with google assistant.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Maybe I am missing the point what is the issue with OPD on highways, I just turn the active cruise control on and let it handle it all with my foot off the pedal, it handles the speed in traffic etc keeping your space in traffic. Why wouldnt you use it?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Maybe I am missing the point what is the issue with OPD on highways, I just turn the active cruise control on and let it handle it all with my foot off the pedal, it handles the speed in traffic etc keeping your space in traffic. Why wouldnt you use it?
I don't use cruise control.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo P8. MFD 1/21. 20" ride. OTA 11/02. White aka ORKA.
762 Posts
99.9% OPD is full-on ! With the way I drive (not speeding, but always in a "hurry mode"), OPD transitions super smoothly in between low and high speeds.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
99.9% OPD is full-on ! With the way I drive (not speeding, but always in a "hurry mode"), OPD transitions super smoothly in between low and high speeds.
I agree. I love the way I can control the car on the high way without the knee torsion of rotating to the brake pedal (apart from emergencies). Have done 10 hours in a high way and coming off to charge eat etc without using the brake pedal and I loved it.

Yes acc if you need to stretch the foot is what we did in the end with itchy foot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A clock in the main dashboard, and Google maps distance/time remaining; it's a pain you can't see the latter when passenger is using the infotainment.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts