Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is sort of like the day after the World Series is over in October and the talking heads are making predictions for the next season.

Okay…we have 1.8 (well, most of us do). It came out about 2 months after 1.7. So, 1.9 may come out in February (not reliable data from me, but let’s assume every other month).

What would you like to see in 1.9, aside from the unknown fixes always mentioned in software updates?

Here are mine:
  1. CarPlay. No brainer, promised for a long time, but keeps getting pushed back.
  2. Return of Pilot Assist to the steering wheel buttons. It is much better to be able to activate/deactivate Pilot Assist with your left thumb while Adaptive Cruise Control is being used (much easier than having to drill down in the menu to turn it on or off while driving). Perhaps leaving the choice to the driver - have menu selections that give you the choice of (a) Pilot Assist always on with ACC; and (b) Pilot Assist off with ACC (but manually added via steering wheel). Best of both worlds.
  3. ACC up/down increments 5 versus 1 MPH increments by choice in the menu system (seems that there is a split on this forum and on the FaceBook forum of which should be one-touch increments (5 or 1) with the other being a longer press of the up/down buttons.
  4. Update to the phone app (that may require a vehicle update as well) to bring it in line with the Volvo ICE app that shows you where your car is and the trips you took (to/from and milelage) - it can even be “google-like” by showing you how much battery was used for each trip (like the google map shows for a destination).
  5. On screen “return to last screen“ button - I assume that most drive with the map on the main screen - however, we do change to other screens, such as phone, SiriusXM, BlueTooth, etc - it would be nice for a one-touch button to get back to the last screen, or just a map button that is always available so that you can return to it from whatever screen you were just viewing. CarPlay shows recent apps in the left pane, so you have that ability to go back with a simple touch rather than several. It’s quite handy - but just a return to map button would be great.
  6. Driver Screen update - the screen behind the wheel has two options: map or off - on the Volvo ICE cars, you have a third: media. It’s nice to have the media displayed there while you have your main screen displaying the google map - or add the media to the top/bottom of either of the screens, regardless of what is on the main portion of the screen. This is helpful if you are listening to a streaming service and hear a song you have not so that you can see the artist’s name.
Looking forward to seeing other ideas.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo P8. MFD 1/21. 20" ride. OTA 11/02. White aka ORKA.
762 Posts
7. Much...MUCH larger icons for the Seat heater, Steering Wheel heater, A/C temps -- even though you can still use Google commands to control all of them which I do, but it's still second nature for most to reach out to PRESS icons....

8. Ease of Home WIFI connectivity

9. Dog mode

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Bug fixes.
Stability.
Resolution of the tcam module issues folks are having.
Resolution io battery discharge issues folks are having.

There are features I would like. But features are a lot lower priority imho than making what we have work for a greater percentage of people.

Reactions: He Keith

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there!

1) Apple car play support (ASAP)
2) Hope to see (some day, not on the next update) Park Assist (XC40 in Brazil comes with perpendicular parking sensors on the bumpers). Even full driving system, like Tesla :D

·
Registered
762 Posts
Ooww.....Maybe Version 10.0 ..... active Cameras recording while Car is moving or detecting a close object when stationary....back to Tesla the big brother.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Agree on 1-2 and 4-6. Hard disagree with #3. It was a bit annoying on my wife's XC90 when I had a Niro EV. Solution: Traded the Kia for the XC40 and now the behavior is consistent across our fleet ;).

"Dog" or "passenger only" mode and VOC app unreliability are my biggest software complaints at the moment.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Phone as a key! Seriously Volvo, catch up.

Auto door lock when you walk away.

Everything else who cares. Mind you I just have a C40 reservation at this point.
YES, YES, YES to Auto Door Lock when Walking Away ! If the Car is ON when it detects weight on Drivers side, you would think it would be just as sophisticated to LOCK them when walking away!

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
YES, YES, YES to Auto Door Lock when Walking Away ! If the Car is ON when it detects weight on Drivers side, you would think it would be just as sophisticated to LOCK them when walking away!
As long as it does not get confused and lock the doors with your keys inside ….

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
If it’s like my Mazda it won’t lock at all with keys left inside. Or if your phone is what it’s sensing you’ll always be able to unlock that way
You can lock your keys inside … people have :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
As Volvo strides to remain competitive, I would expect the software engineers will continue to focus on DC fast charging. Now that Tesla has begun to open their super chargers in The Netherlands, Volvo may need to adjust their algorithms to maximize charging speed when using a Tesla charger.

Where I live, Electrify America has been building 350kw DC fast chargers. Not sure if software could be adjusted to condition the Volvo battery to charge faster while utilizing this new equipment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
An audible warning (beep or chime) from the blind spot indicator when your turn signal is on and there's a vehicle in the lane you're planning to switch into. Most vehicles already have this safety feature, but, alas, the XC40 P8 doesn't seem to have it 🙁.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
An audible warning (beep or chime) from the blind spot indicator when your turn signal is on and there's a vehicle in the lane you're planning to switch into. Most vehicles already have this safety feature, but, alas, the XC40 P8 doesn't seem to have it 🙁.
And it already has this sound for sending on coming tragic or people when you are reversing.

I suppose the issue is how does it know your planning to change lanes? The reverse warning just goes off for every car. But the lane change light is there as part of your planning. If it was an alarm it would go off all the while.

·
Registered
9 Posts
And it already has this sound for sending on coming tragic or people when you are reversing.

I suppose the issue is how does it know your planning to change lanes? The reverse warning just goes off for every car. But the lane change light is there as part of your planning. If it was an alarm it would go off all the while.
Thanks for your reply. It would know you’re planning to change lanes because your turn signal is on - that’s how it works on many vehicles we drive... signal off, then no sound from blind spot system, only the flashing lights in the side mirrors.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Thanks for your reply. It would know you’re planning to change lanes because your turn signal is on - that’s how it works on many vehicles we drive... signal off, then no sound from blind spot system, only the flashing lights in the side mirrors.
Aah! That makes total sense. I always use turn signals being an ex Brit but I have gotten used to most drivers around here not using them so I did not think of that.

That should be an easy and wonderful change.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Return of Pilot Assist to the steering wheel buttons !
Driver Screen update.
Best charging curve in DC mode
more indicator on board : charging curves and time, consumption statistics when traveling

1 - 20 of 67 Posts