Volvo XC40 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Good news. Stability/bug fixing would be great.

Be really nice to be able to separate mechanical/hardware faults from software bugs.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
‘22 XC40 Recharge Twin in Denim Blue MFD 6/21
333 Posts
Stability and bug fixes please.
Instead of adding new features (half baked) make the current ones fully stable.

It would be cool to get a feature that would allow Volvo customer service pull out issue logs and troubleshoot issues remotely.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Stability and bug fixes please.
Instead of adding new features (half baked) make the current ones fully stable.

It would be cool to get a feature that would allow Volvo customer service pull out issue logs and troubleshoot issues remotely.
So agreed.

I think the problem is in the wording of the thread. It ask for which features.

If it had said what do you hope the effect of the next release will be probably more people would of answered stability.

The danger of the wrong question :)

Reactions: B-mtrd

·
Registered
2 Posts
How about just giving us what appears to be available Volvo Cars app features in most of Volvo's lineup? Stability is of course a requirement, not a feature. From the features below, is it too much to ask for Find my car/Send Destination/Detailed Trip Data/Driving journal/Temperature at car? If the TCAM is working properly, current location should be available easily for display. Temperature at car should also be readily available. As for the journal and trip data, not sure what is needed to enable (for sure the current manual/auto trip info could be made available under statistics). Love (sarcastic overtones) the app preview of an XC60 which shows the "car" and "gps pin" icons on the bottom part of the screen, which my dealer was so surprised weren't available when I brought up app "lack-of" functionality.

C30, C70, S40, V50
S60, S80, V40, V40 Cross Country, V60, V70, XC60, XC70, XC90, S90, V90, V90 Cross CountryPlug-In Hybrid/Twin EngineXC90 MY12-MY15
Information in instrument panelPartialXX
Warnings in instrument panelXXX
Parking heaterXXX
Find my carXXX
Sound horn & FlashXX
Lock statusXXX
Lock/unlock doorsXX
AssistanceXXX
Driving journalXXX
Account informationXXX
Send DestinationXX
Temperature at carXXX
Remote engine start (ERS)PartialX
Detailed trip dataX
PreconditioningX
Set charging for specific timesX
Battery and charging statusX
Reminder to plug in the charging cableX

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would like to see more options for regenerative braking. I don't expect that but having only "off" and "on" is a let down. I like the full one pedal mode a lot and it works very well but it would be nice to have options or a range of intensities if that makes sense.

I would like to have a different color or choice of colors in google maps in the instrument cluster-blue is getting boring after only 2 weeks but not a big deal either. Standard Google Maps beige would be nice-it's what I'm used to looking at and the blue makes it hard for me to get used to using Maps in the instrument cluster.

More options for the instrument cluster-seems unfinished when maps is off.

Apple Car Play for god's sake. How hard can it be to get the most owned phone app on the planet into your infotainment system? Is it a rights issue with Apple-are they negotiating or something?Shocking it's not available when I can get rock solid Apple Car play in almost any vehicle on the road down to 20k msrp vehicles.

Stability of apps. Just today I lost Google Maps in the instrument cluster for the first time and I have had a few other issues-LTE etc. This is key-the software just needs to work in this car-it's a bit silly we are even discussing it. Volvo, Qualcom, and Android have this week been firing out press releases about "upcoming" Snapdragon powered premium infotainment systems for Volvo electric cars. Anyone mention to them the current one doesn't really work?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would like to see more options for regenerative braking. I don't expect that but having only "off" and "on" is a let down.
Just to clarify, when OPD mode is off regenerative braking is still on. Hitting the brake pedal engages regen braking first then uses the mechanical brakes if needed.

Would be nice to have different levels of OPD though.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Just to clarify, when OPD mode is off regenerative braking is still on. Hitting the brake pedal engages regen braking first then uses the mechanical brakes if needed.

Would be nice to have different levels of OPD though.
And when the mechanical is used it is still using regenerative. It blends them seamlessly together.

Reactions: houkura

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would really love to have another way to turn on/off the One Pedal Driving feature. I LOVE it, but . . . drilling down in the menus is a drag and distracting. Also, when using maps, it takes off that screen to get to the menus. Then I have to go back to the maps. Yes, i know I can use the behind the steering wheel map, but I like the middle screen.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I would really love to have another way to turn on/off the One Pedal Driving feature. I LOVE it, but . . . drilling down in the menus is a drag and distracting. Also, when using maps, it takes off that screen to get to the menus. Then I have to go back to the maps. Yes, i know I can use the behind the steering wheel map, but I like the middle screen.
Going to bite … if you love one pedal so much why are you turning it on and off all the while to the point you would like to do it from the steering wheel …

I love opd and have not turned it off for months. But that’s me and everyone should have what they want.

My First thoughts are I do not want opd on/off anywhere I can easily do it by accident as it is such a large change in functionality of the accelerator pedal.

Slightly scared you are in motion digging though menus to change the opd!! But that’s my age speaking probably :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Going to bite … if you love one pedal so much why are you turning it on and off all the while to the point you would like to do it from the steering wheel …

I love opd and have not turned it off for months. But that’s me and everyone should have what they want.

My First thoughts are I do not want opd on/off anywhere I can easily do it by accident as it is such a large change in functionality of the accelerator pedal.

Slightly scared you are in motion digging though menus to change the opd!! But that’s my age speaking probably :)
LOL! It scares me as well. But, don't worry. I've learned the hard way NOT to change it while the car is moving. I'm talking about stopping at the end of the freeway exit and then turning OPD on while at the stop sign . . . only when no one is behind me.

The reason that I don't keep it on all the time is that the dealer told me not to use it when on the freeway. In California, we are on and off the freeway all the time, so it gets quite complicated. The dealer said that using it on the freeway makes it so that you are constantly fighting the regenerative breaking. I would be happy to hear otherwise. Maybe an experiment of taking a route and gauging how much energy usage for the route with and without OPD on.

Do you do a lot of driving at ~65 mph?

·
Registered
13 Posts
LOL! It scares me as well. But, don't worry. I've learned the hard way NOT to change it while the car is moving. I'm talking about stopping at the end of the freeway exit and then turning OPD on while at the stop sign . . . only when no one is behind me.

The reason that I don't keep it on all the time is that the dealer told me not to use it when on the freeway. In California, we are on and off the freeway all the time, so it gets quite complicated. The dealer said that using it on the freeway makes it so that you are constantly fighting the regenerative breaking. I would be happy to hear otherwise. Maybe an experiment of taking a route and gauging how much energy usage for the route with and without OPD on.

Do you do a lot of driving at ~65 mph?
Note that I just did a web search and Volvo recommends NOT using OPD on the freeway.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Did a 1200 mile trip and used opd the whole way.

Do they say why? I can see the logic of using adaptive cruise control but I love my opd on the high way as well as off.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Did a 1200 mile trip and used opd the whole way.

Do they say why? I can see the logic of using adaptive cruise control but I love my opd on the high way as well as off.
Im pretty sure OPD is discouraged on freeway because you cannot conserve battery by "coasting".

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Im pretty sure OPD is discouraged on freeway because you cannot conserve battery by "coasting".
How does coasting preserve battery charge?

Energy is lost by I^2 x R.
If you coast and loose velocity you have to use a higher I to return to your initial velocity.

So though there is a period of drawing no current this is more than offset by the period in which you have to use more current (I) to get your velocity back.

I also hate (and this is personal) that annoying cycle where people speed up to 15 past speed limit then coast down to a little below. It is annoying to be behind :) but that is personal and not to do with efficiency.

What am I missing that makes it more efficient overall to coast as part of your driving habit.

·
Registered
47 Posts

If you coast and loose velocity you have to use a higher I to return to your initial velocity.

So though there is a period of drawing no current this is more than offset by the period in which you have to use more current (I) to get your velocity back.

I also hate (and this is personal) that annoying cycle where people speed up to 15 past speed limit then coast down to a little below. It is annoying to be behind :) but that is personal and not to do with efficiency.

What am I missing that makes it more efficient overall to coast as part of your driving habit.

Yeah that makes sense to me. I was just parroting what I have heard as far as reasons for turning off OPD on freeways. I wonder what Volvo's reasoning is for the recommendation..

·
Registered
47 Posts

Maybe it's more efficient to coast than use regen in instances where you do not need to re-achieve velocity-such as instances where traffic is not constant and leaving the freeway?

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Because perhaps on a long drive you cannot take your foot off the pedal. In city driving you can easily pull over or do it at one of the mannred lights but in the high way you cannot easily.

At one point on a trip I had an itchy foot from a mosquito bite. In an ice I would of been able scratch it more easily as I could of if I had turned opd off.

I probably still will not turn it off as I live opd especially on mountain roads but now I have a reason to consider it :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Because perhaps on a long drive you cannot take your foot off the pedal. In city driving you can easily pull over or do it at one of the mannred lights but in the high way you cannot easily.

At one point on a trip I had an itchy foot from a mosquito bite. In an ice I would of been able scratch it more easily as I could of if I had turned opd off.

I probably still will not turn it off as I live opd especially on mountain roads but now I have a reason to consider it :)
Good point-also if your foot accidentally falls of the pedal on OPD on the freeway at high speed it can be a pretty severe effect. I personally always use OPD since the day I first tried it. Love it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I tried a little experiment today. We have a HUGE hill to climb (which I did with opd off), but on the way back, (as I climbed the small hill to get to the big hill) I turned on opd while depressing the "gas" (OMG! I have to get used to another term for it! :) ). Then I coasted/depressed accelerator on the way down and saved LOT of energy and brakes by having opd on. As I approached the level part at the bottom, I turned opd off with accelerator depressed again. I'm getting smoother at it. Personally, I dislike having to depress the pedal the whole time that I'm driving.

But . . . back to my original wish . . . since Volvo discouraged using opd on the fwy, then it would be good to have some way to turn it on/off easily on the go. The video did not give a reason why it is discouraged.

Good discussion! Thanks all.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts