Volvo XC40 Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Heat pump
The heat pump acts primarily as a range extender that helps save battery power in the pure electric XC40 Recharge. When it’s cold outside, it transports thermal energy from either the ambient air or the battery and releases this energy to heat up the cabin. This transport of heat is provided by a compressor which consumes less energy compared to the car's standard electrical heater. And by also supporting the air conditioner to work more efficiently, the heat pump helps save electric energy at a temperature range from +5°C up to 25–30°C. The heat pump can also help warm or cool the battery to optimise performance and range during long trips or heavy loads.

·
Registered
460 Posts
In most cars, the heat pump is there for the cabin only. It does say (final sentence) that it can be used for the battery, but that sounds like a rarity? (It was written almost like an after thought in this post?). Supposedly, the heat pump works more efficiently to heat (and in some cases, cool) the cabin of the car. It is an item that comes with a cost, which is why in many EVs it is part of a package, or a single extra cost. In climates where it never gets particularly cold, the benefits may not be outweighed by the cost. That said, more EVs are just incorporating it standard, and that might also be most cost effective for the mfg. Hopefully this corrects some of the misinformation in the last few posts prior.

·
Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
630 Posts
I was told the heat pump warmed or cooled the battery. This could also be part of pre-conditioning using remote starter or whatever you call it as there is nothing to start, motor wise. I can't find anything in the manual. I called Volvo support (USA) one day and they had no idea. I must have got Psaki's brother who said he would circle back, and like Jen - nothing! I must say the in car manual is not handy in the least. Other than that the car has been great (well mileage not so good) but the car is a ball to drive. I really enjoy the quiet; it's like a sailplane. Fun, fun, fun til the battery takes it away.
Please don't turn this into a political discussion. Stick to the topic, thanks.

·
Registered
‘22 XC40 Recharge Twin in Denim Blue MFD 6/21
341 Posts
In most cars, the heat pump is there for the cabin only. It does say (final sentence) that it can be used for the battery, but that sounds like a rarity? (It was written almost like an after thought in this post?). Supposedly, the heat pump works more efficiently to heat (and in some cases, cool) the cabin of the car. It is an item that comes with a cost, which is why in many EVs it is part of a package, or a single extra cost. In climates where it never gets particularly cold, the benefits may not be outweighed by the cost. That said, more EVs are just incorporating it standard, and that might also be most cost effective for the mfg. Hopefully this corrects some of the misinformation in the last few posts prior.
Great catch. The window sticker says Heat Pump not Battery Heat Pump.
It would be good to hear from folks that their cars are not equipped with the heat pump if their preconditioning helps with consumption. Actually what is the whole car behavior.

·
Premium Member
2021 XC40 P8 Recharge
4 Posts
I just wonder why Volvo can't answer the question more specifically. Someone in design must have the correct and detailed answer. I was told that it is best to pre-condition the battery in Cold Weather, so that the battery was more efficient upon take off. That makes sense to me. Apparently from what I am hearing this is done when the car is warming the cabin. It just seems to me that the heating of the battery in Cold Weather would take more energy than to heat the cabin. How does the heater split up the energy for the cabin and the battery heating. When you get in the car you know if it is warm, but how do you know the battery has been warmed up enough?

·
Registered
‘22 XC40 Recharge Twin in Denim Blue MFD 6/21
341 Posts
I just wonder why Volvo can't answer the question more specifically. Someone in design must have the correct and detailed answer. I was told that it is best to pre-condition the battery in Cold Weather, so that the battery was more efficient upon take off. That makes sense to me. Apparently from what I am hearing this is done when the car is warming the cabin. It just seems to me that the heating of the battery in Cold Weather would take more energy than to heat the cabin. How does the heater split up the energy for the cabin and the battery heating. When you get in the car you know if it is warm, but how do you know the battery has been warmed up enough?
My guess would be when the consumption goes down to a normal range and there is no more snow flake next to the SOC gauge.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
246 Posts
Great catch. The window sticker says Heat Pump not Battery Heat Pump.
It would be good to hear from folks that their cars are not equipped with the heat pump if their preconditioning helps with consumption. Actually what is the whole car behavior.
All Canadian 2021 XC40 P8 arrived without heat pump so I have no idea what I'm missing other than a 5-10% energy saving.
When I precondition car 30 mins prior to leaving it is obvious that battery has been preheated due the much lower initial kWh/100km.Today for example with a temperature of 0C I left home home and my initial usage was 25-35kWh/100km almost the same as a warm summer day even though the snowflake icon was beside battery.
The heated interior has never been a problem and I have yet to see any windows fog up.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I get exactly the same scenario if I precondition. It's obvious the car is warm but the initial power usage tells you the battery is warm. To be fair I have only done this a few times as most of the time I never know when I'm heading off....

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
372 Posts
Edit: Sorry if this info is redundant. I thought I was replying to the latest post but when I hit “enter” I realised there were about 10 more replies to the question LOL!

They’re all fitted with an electric resistance coolant heater...

If you have the heat pump option, that will work to improve efficiency to a point as it can take heat out of the air and “pump” it into the cabin, just like the reverse cycle takes heat out of the cabin and pumps it to the outside when in AC mode. However, when it’s really cold outside, the heat pump can’t do much so you’d be on most or all resistive heating. Very similar to heat pump heat/AC systems in homes - in really cold winter those electric resistance heaters kick in and your energy bills go up (my grandparents had this in western Illinois and yeah, it got cold there, and yeah, their electricity bills were high in winter!)

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
All Canadian 2021 XC40 P8 arrived without heat pump so I have no idea what I'm missing other than a 5-10% energy saving.
When I precondition car 30 mins prior to leaving it is obvious that battery has been preheated due the much lower initial kWh/100km.Today for example with a temperature of 0C I left home home and my initial usage was 25-35kWh/100km almost the same as a warm summer day even though the snowflake icon was beside battery.
The heated interior has never been a problem and I have yet to see any windows fog up.
This will help explain the efficiency difference. I am in ATL and while a heat pump would probably not make a huge difference I wanted it and both my XC40s have it.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
It was an option on the 21s and standard on 22 Ultimate. I also think if you have the Plus with climate package you get it. I would think it is listed on the sticker.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts