Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems this is growing as an issue so thought I would pull it out into its own thread. I realize I have also made some assumptions about how the heat pump works so as my Volvo has not yet arrived and has a heat pump I thought I would seek clarity and answers before it is here.

Assumptions and questions.
1. I assumed that the AC/Heating system on all XC40 P8 were the same and that the Heat pump is an additional unit that can increase the efficiency of the system by starting it off with recycled air which is either cooler (when cooling is required or warmer when warming) and that this system helps decrease the energy the default AC/Heating system uses in keeping its humans comfy and its batteries and other car systems at their correct operating systems.
2. If the assumption in 2 is not correct does anyone know how this system actually works or can point to articles showing how it actually works.
3. I assumed that the ac Failures were due to miss comunication between the AC/Heating and the heat pump perhaps some how telling the ac unit to stand down.
4. If we have a XC40 P8 with a heat pump how do we prove we have a heat pump. Is there a cool info panel showing it’s working effect or at least a system check box saying heat pump installed.
5. Has anyone seen any actual data on the energy savings of the heat pump? Volvo had a pretty infomercial saying how it saves energy but I have yet to see any data on the power savings. I got it honestly to be as green as I could be with the car and of course to try and eek out as much range as possible And because I like the thought of efficiency.

Please add questions and information to the thread.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found this article.

Sounds like heat pumps really are a good idea.
Still a little irritated at the lack of a best case scenario on the changes they make but ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just found this article re heat pumps and Tesla. My dealer in Las Vegas is equally uninformed as to the purpose of a heat pump, size, weight, and location. He was advised by Volvo to include a heat pump in all his future orders as it is necessary for extreme heat climates as well as extreme cold. I just don’t want to be charged extra for it if it’s considered essential.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My understanding is that heat pumps offer significant benefits vs things like compressors and conductive heating. Their weakness, if you want to call it that, is that they operate within a given temperature range. They still offer benefits in efficiency, but at a certain point they just can’t keep up and the vehicle will need to switch to the non-heat pump source so you’d see what seems like a massive drop in efficiency.

That said, how often do you use the vehicle outside the optimal range of the heat pump? I feel like people generally like to live in the places where heat pumps make a lot of sense.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am assuming that the 350$ heat pump is extra to the normal heat/cool system. In other words it should never be worse in both effect ( amount of cooling) or effeciency. But hey assuming is a great sin :(

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am assuming that the 350$ heat pump is extra to the normal heat/cool system. In other words it should never be worse in both effect ( amount of cooling) or effeciency. But hey assuming is a great sin :(
It must be. The two work together to give optimal performance would be my expectation.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Heat pumps work with the internal electrical resistance used to heat the cabin. The heat pump works better for the long drive once the cabin has been warmed up. This is why preconditioning the cabin heat while plugged in will significantly add to the range on a cold day.

Once moving, the heat pump transfers heat using much less electricity.. Bosch states that at 14 degrees, there is a 25% increase in driving range. Visteon claims a 30% increase in range. Remember, EPA estimates are done at room temperature without any heating.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Heat pumps work with the internal electrical resistance used to heat the cabin. The heat pump works better for the long drive once the cabin has been warmed up. This is why preconditioning the cabin heat while plugged in will significantly add to the range on a cold day.

Once moving, the heat pump transfers heat using much less electricity.. Bosch states that at 14 degrees, there is a 25% increase in driving range. Visteon claims a 30% increase in range. Remember, EPA estimates are done at room temperature without any heating.
If a person did not order a heat pump from the factory at time of order - I wonder if it is an item that can be added by the dealer after the fact? Maybe the cost of install would be too much. Any thoughts if this would be possible?

·
Registered
91 Posts
A quick search found the following opinion from another electric vehicle posting.

"Retrofit likely can't be done. It would require a full HVAC cabin unit replacement, HV wiring removal, different control units, different compressor and refrigerant system."

It is not a simple additional plug and play part.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welland did you get your car yet? If not could re order with a heat pump? I read somewhere though that Canadian buyers are not given the option of a heat pump. Is this true?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Welland did you get your car yet? If not could re order with a heat pump? I read somewhere though that Canadian buyers are not given the option of a heat pump. Is this true?
Yes Three weeks ago - and that is true Volvo Canada did not have the Heat pump as an option for the Canadian Market to order due to the initial issues with that option.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can anyone who has a heat pump in their XC40 share something about the following:
  • Can you hear the heat pump cycling (is there any noise noticeable from inside the cabin)?
  • Is there a delay when calling for heat? Is the wait time similar to an ICE vehicle waiting for the engine to warm up before noticing heat?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ac and heat work the same as in a non heat pump car. I do not notice any extra sounds when it is on but I would need to record a non heat pump Volvo and then mine to say for sure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I do not notice any extra sounds
Thanks. I'm just OCD when it comes to that kind of stuff. Since an EV is very quite, for example while stopped at a red light, any noise or vibration will likely stand out compared to an ICE vehicle. I think the blower fan noise will be reasonable, but noises like my refrigerator drive me nuts (similar type of tech as a heat pump), since they hum which clashes with music.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The car constantly hums. It is similar to the hum that would send me insane in my av room and one which I am careful to avoid in the family computer area ( hunting down which of the 6 computers has a new bleeding hum is a thing ) but the hum in the car feels more alive. I tend to think of it as a quieter cyclon hum :) the heart of the car beating in a throbby hummy way.

Today i am driving the ice version of the xc40 as my P8 is In the shop to replace the broken in window. The ice car feels so … meh compared to the P8. The ac(cooling) is weaker. The acceleration is pitiful compared and all in all it just feels. MEH. And yet it is basically the same car so odd. Reminds me of an article stating research has shown that food tastes better with a nice knife and fork vs plastic due to the brains perception changing.

Test drive a P8 see if you like or hate the thrum. Remember this is not a static car it’s a dynamic robot that accepts our inputs :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts