Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have seen a few posts and figured I would start a thread on YouTube Music. I have YouTube Premium so I get YTM included. The app on the XC40 AAOS seems to be a mess. It will Smart Download over time and I can select my playlist that eventually shows up. But I have found that if I select Shuffle it does not remember that, especially after my wife drives with her profile and I go back to my profile. IIt also seems to be stuck in the first few dozen songs, whether I select the playlist of downloads. Downloads doe's work most of the time. At times it seems to start over the "shuffled playlist" and still even in shuffle mode seems to be going in artist only. Does not seem to be much of a shuffle.

If I try and use the BT app to select YTM on my phone I can't even browse my downloads.

I launch the Spotify App and it works fine (other than naggy ads). It shuffles as expected, I don't have to wait for things to download and it truly shuffles the list.

If I were not a heavy YTvideo watcher I would dump premiums as YTM is a mess. Even on Apple TV it is a joke, no easy way to add music to the queue ad-hoc becasue it really wants t leverage AirPlay. on my shield it is fine I just connect to it from my iPad and auue up whatever I want.

You would think Google's Music app would work on Google car OS?

I read that Google is testing YT Lite where Music is not included, I hope they roll that ot as then I will do a Spotify subscription.

Any one have better luck with the YTM app on the car?

Reactions: mike1234

·
Registered
172 Posts
Google Play Music was vastly superior in many ways to YT music and I still miss it. The implementation in AAOS only makes a bad product worse.

I'm used to Google killing off products I love and replacing them with inferior versions. I guess you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I too am very disappointed with YT Music under AAOS. I miss the ability to jump to the album or artist of the currently playing song, or the ability to start a radio station based on that song.

Pretty much every app under AAOS is a weak shadow of its Android phone version. It is very disappointing and not at all what I envisioned when I bought the car.

Reactions: mike1234

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spotify seems decent, I am going to do a 1 month trial and then if I like it will buy a 12 month subscription gift card for $99 to use it for now and see what happens with YTM.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems SPotify has a 3 month trials if you have Paypal,, so I signed up for that. Will see if YTM improves by end of October otherwise I will just get myself an annual Spotify subscription.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hate double paying and YTM has some videos of concerts and such that Spotify lacks, but otherwise Spotify is far more polished and superior. Only issue I had was Spotify at times will let you add things to a playlist that are already in it, thus doubling up the song.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had just about got good with Google Play Music when they announced they would replace it with YTM - at the start YTM was rubbish, now it's... Less rubbish. I got on board with it a bit more when I knew that I was getting the XC40 and losing the ability to simply shove a USB stick in (is that really so old fahioned?!) and my entire music library is on it, inlcluding playlists.
So here's my problem which I haven't seen anyone else mention. I want to just have a chosen playlist shuffle. I have a 'car' playlist, with around 2,000 songs on it. On shuffle, it only actually shuffles within, say, the first 50 ish tracks. I tried creating a playlist within YTM and called it Volvo. It appears in the car, but has the same problem, absolutely rubbish shuffle. This is a really basic feature that has gone so wrong. There's a playlist limit of 5,000 tracks which isn't hurting, and there's nothing I can find about Premium fixing this.
Does anyone else have the same problem or any fixes? It's bluetooth for me (with, you know, tracks that I have bought on CD, ripped to a computer, and copied to my phone!!) until they fix this, with no artwork!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had just about got good with Google Play Music when they announced they would replace it with YTM - at the start YTM was rubbish, now it's... Less rubbish. I got on board with it a bit more when I knew that I was getting the XC40 and losing the ability to simply shove a USB stick in (is that really so old fahioned?!) and my entire music library is on it, inlcluding playlists.
So here's my problem which I haven't seen anyone else mention. I want to just have a chosen playlist shuffle. I have a 'car' playlist, with around 2,000 songs on it. On shuffle, it only actually shuffles within, say, the first 50 ish tracks. I tried creating a playlist within YTM and called it Volvo. It appears in the car, but has the same problem, absolutely rubbish shuffle. This is a really basic feature that has gone so wrong. There's a playlist limit of 5,000 tracks which isn't hurting, and there's nothing I can find about Premium fixing this.
Does anyone else have the same problem or any fixes? It's bluetooth for me (with, you know, tracks that I have bought on CD, ripped to a computer, and copied to my phone!!) until they fix this, with no artwork!

I have same issues, my playlist has about 850 songs, seems to always shuffle the first maybe 50 or so. It also does a bad job of shuffling, likely becasue it is not grabbing the entire playlist. I tried BT with Poweramp, but the car and Poweramp get confused and it does not always remember where I left off and starts the shuffled list all over. So far Spotify seems to work great. Seems I am headed to Spotify and hope they release YT Lite as I will downgrade at that point.

I would contact YT for support, but they immediately ask you the version of the app, which in the P8 I can't find. They then ask you all sorts of questions about browsers and OS versions, have you tried different browsers and OSes. And if you don't supply every piece of info they ask for they will not escalate the case to real support.

·
Registered
220 Posts
When I found out I couldn't play from a USB thumb drive, I was extremely disappointed. A review I saw on YT, the Volvo salesman, and Volvo Consumer Support all told me it was possible to do, but it isn't. I believe eventually it will. My son researched the issue and found Poweramp for me. It has solved all the problems mentioned here, although it was a pain to set up at first. It's cheap (~$10), has no subscription, and will play your songs in shuffle or in the order you set up in a playlist. It can shuffle various different ways, e.g. by album, artist, playlist, or All. I've created three playlists, some of the songs I like the most in all three, and play them straight through, but they are throughly mixed by genre, so it is like shuffle but without unwanted repeats. The two big downsides are that you have to move all your music to your phone if it isn't already (mine was only on the USB stick and my home desktop computer), and you have to convert everything to mp3 (I had most of them in WMA format). Also, you have to create the playlists on your phone, which is tedious tapping and scrolling, but that's a one-time thing. I have about 500 songs. Of course, you also have to play via bluetooth which means always through the phone, but the dashboard controls in the car work fine for volume, pause, etc. and the quality is great in my opinion. I don't have Spotify, but I have Pandora. That's one more promised app that isn't there after all although I could play that via bluetooth, too, I suppose.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Get it set up on a desktop or mobile device first would be my advice, Pepe Lucho.
Ha Keith - you can give feedback from within the app in the car (settings cog, top right) which avoids that hassle, but then you have to type on the screen, and it just says 'thanks for your feedback' so who knows where it goes.
Rat - WMA is your problem there, many devices have abandoned it. I'd really like to get USB back but like a lot of missing features, it's not a priority for Google, because they want you to use their alternative. I've no need to stream the music I've already got! Sticking music on my phone instead of USB stick is no problem for me, but again, the Bluetooth streaming function isn't brilliant - the lack of artwork on that lovely big screen really hurts. My previous cars have been able to do this. Most people will have a music player on their phone and won't need to spend money but Poweramp does seem to have good features.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts