Volvo XC40 Forum banner

121 - 140 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm wondering if a bunch of posts have been deleted. I remember someone (Billfan, maybe?) posting about COVID issues and several people posted that they had been told their car was in production --- but now I don't see any of those posts. I'm just trying to figure out timing. Still very annoyed that I haven't received confirmation that mine is actually in production, and I ordered before other people who already got these notifications.:rolleyes:
I did comment that my local dealer was not taking proper precautions nor offering accommodations for safe test driving etc when I went there. They also totally botched my test drive appt because Volvo's website uses a text/chat service that's basically a call center somewhere and they have no affiliation with your local dealer, but they don't tell you that. So the entire time I thought I was texting with my local sales rep when setting up an appt to test drive, it was really some dude somewhere that didn't work at my dealership. He didn't share any of my accommodation requests with my dealer even though he said yes to them, and my dealer when I got on site wouldn't accommodate me and said "oh those online chat people don't work here". I was like WTF man you wasted my Saturday and when they wouldn't accommodate me and a rep with a mask hanging off his chin demanded that he join me for the test drive I said no way and just left and haven't been back since and canceled my order.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't think the dealer is right about that. What state are you in? I believe in California, if you don't take delivery, you aren't obligated and they would have to refund your deposit. I've been assured by the local Volvo salesman that I will be able to test drive one before the arrival of my car and that I can cancel anytime before I take delivery. I have that in email, so I think they'll have to stick by it. At this point, though, I still think I want the car. The Audi e-Tron would probably be my second choice, but I haven't had a chance to test drive that, either.
I am in Washington state and have been told that delivery is meaning delivery to the dealer. Thus, the decision will have to be made prior to that time Or you'll lose your deposit. I am having somewhat of a difficult time pinning them down on a lease price. The local "EVexpert"wasn't sure whether the tax credit would be applied with the lease or I would get to claim it even if I leased. I'm sure it's the former sense Volvo would own the car not me if I leased. So far, the only thing good about my local dealer is that they do have a model to test drive. They also told me they had sold one off the floor this week.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am in Washington state and have been told that delivery is meaning delivery to the dealer. Thus, the decision will have to be made prior to that time Or you'll lose your deposit. I am having somewhat of a difficult time pinning them down on a lease price. The local "EVexpert"wasn't sure whether the tax credit would be applied with the lease or I would get to claim it even if I leased. I'm sure it's the former sense Volvo would own the car not me if I leased. So far, the only thing good about my local dealer is that they do have a model to test drive. They also told me they had sold one off the floor this week.
Bill - The tax credit comes when you file for taxes - not at the dealership. I have an XC60 T8 PHEV now and that is how I got my $7500 back.

·
Registered
39 Posts
But, if you lease?
This is from Edmunds, and I have read essentially the same thing elsewhere as well: If you are leasing the EV, the tax credit goes to the manufacturer that's offering the lease, not you. The carmaker will likely factor the credit into the cost of the lease to lower your monthly payment, but it isn't mandatory.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree on the lease/credit issue. I leased a Chevy Bolt three+ years ago (hoping the XC40 will replace) and the financing company (GM) got the federal tax credit. They supposedly priced this into my lease terms, but that claim is a little hard to decipher.

For anyone who has ordered your XC40 recharge and picked it up from dealer, did you pay MSRP? I’m a little afraid that the dealer will ask for more than MSRP once I show up to actually pick it up...

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree on the lease/credit issue. I leased a Chevy Bolt three+ years ago (hoping the XC40 will replace) and the financing company (GM) got the federal tax credit. They supposedly priced this into my lease terms, but that claim is a little hard to decipher.

For anyone who has ordered your XC40 recharge and picked it up from dealer, did you pay MSRP? I’m a little afraid that the dealer will ask for more than MSRP once I show up to actually pick it up...
Are you dealing with Herb Chambers?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've bought three new cars from Boston Volvo, but all we paid cash for (or took out our own bank loan). Years later, I special-ordered a fourth car from them when they encouraged me to do so, even though I said there was only a 50-50 chance at best that I'd keep it; they said "no problem, we'll just sell it if you don't want it". When the car arrived, I decided not to buy it (bought a non-Volvo from another dealership instead), and they were really upset with me about that, and would not talk to me about any other cars that I was interested in during the subsequent couple of years, which basically was a stab in the back. (They did give me a great deal on my previous purchase, however, with trade in.)

Regarding the USA federal EV tax credit: It's correct that only the original buyer of the car can claim this. If you lease, you lose your rights to the federal tax credit, as the credit goes to the dealership. You're at their mercy as to whether or not they'll give you some, most, or all of that $7500; I am cynical enough about dealerships in general that I doubt that very many -- if any -- would give you the entire $7500 back, and all you can do about that is walk away.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've bought three new cars from Boston Volvo, but all we paid cash for (or took out our own bank loan). Years later, I special-ordered a fourth car from them when they encouraged me to do so, even though I said there was only a 50-50 chance at best that I'd keep it; they said "no problem, we'll just sell it if you don't want it". When the car arrived, I decided not to buy it (bought a non-Volvo from another dealership instead), and they were really upset with me about that, and would not talk to me about any other cars that I was interested in during the subsequent couple of years, which basically was a stab in the back. (They did give me a great deal on my previous purchase, however, with trade in.)

Regarding the USA federal EV tax credit: It's correct that only the original buyer of the car can claim this. If you lease, you lose your rights to the federal tax credit, as the credit goes to the dealership. You're at their mercy as to whether or not they'll give you some, most, or all of that $7500; I am cynical enough about dealerships in general that I doubt that very many -- if any -- would give you the entire $7500 back, and all you can do about that is walk away.
here is the deal with my local dealerships... (Portland OR).they will deduct $3500 from the retail price with the logic that "we are using a residual value of 51%, so you are only leasing 50% of the vehicle (XC 40 Recharge)...Is that the normal way to handle the $7500 tax credit?

·
Registered
39 Posts
For those in the U.S., would it make sense to try to purchase (and have an electrician install) a home wall charger before the end of the year to take advantage of the Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit? Also, which type of plug does the XC40 Recharge use - NEMA 14-50 or 6-50?
My utility will provide a free charger if I agree to restrictions on use ... basically, not to charge during peak hours. Seems reasonable. I still have to pay for installation. You might check with your electricity provider.

121 - 140 of 177 Posts