Volvo XC40 Forum banner
81 - 100 of 319 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Westmo , I did almost the same as you, but want the 360 camera, so clicked Advanced
Red, 20s, no bling, heat pump, heated wheel (gotta have that after the Volt!), mud flaps yes
But I will get mats 3rd party
Total was just under $60K so should get full NYS $2K credit plus Fed
Literally decided to drop Polestar2 and go for XC40 the day before the price announcement, which means i suffered for over a year waiting for the OTHER one, whereas seems like you folks have suffered here for the past year. Let’s all have a good cry together, what? 😭 hey, only a few more months now...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Westmo , I did almost the same as you, but want the 360 camera, so clicked Advanced
Red, 20s, no bling, heat pump, heated wheel (gotta have that after the Volt!), mud flaps yes
But I will get mats 3rd party
Total was just under $60K so should get full NYS $2K credit plus Fed
Literally decided to drop Polestar2 and go for XC40 the day before the price announcement, which means i suffered for over a year waiting for the OTHER one, whereas seems like you folks have suffered here for the past year. Let’s all have a good cry together, what? 😭 hey, only a few more months now...
Might I ask why did you drop the Polestar2? It looks nice, and has received some good early reviews. Volvo is indicating December 2020 delivery on them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did call the two nearest dealers to me to try to do exactly that - negotiate a discount off MSRP, but neither one seemed interested. The response at both was the same - Volvo will set the price and tell us what discount will be permissible and that will be the same at every dealer. This is different from whn I pre-ordered my Leaf. At that time there was a loosely organized club of locals who had pre-ordered, and one dealer reached out to us and offered a good discount to all members of the club as long as we didn't post online that we had received the discount. The word was spread via private email and separate member-only website. They held to the deal and the buying process was smooth. When I was looking at the Crosstrek as an option, one dealer wouldn't even let me test drive the model they had unless I agreed to pay $5K over MSRP. I told him that was ridiculous and he went back inside to get the key and never came out. I was standing in the rain for ten minues when a woman came out and told me to go home. Billfan is correct, though. You can refuse to take it and try to negotiate down, but you risk losing the car to someone else and having to start all over.
Excellent points. I agree that while demand is difficult to predict, that it's more likely to sit on the lot than not. I would like to test drive it before moving forward. And you're right - maybe they will be open to negotiating if not on this one then on another order for future delivery. Thanks!

·
Registered
66 Posts
garSEA I originally ordered polestar in July 2019, had to cancel when the shutdown started as my job was in jeopardy for a couple months, then made a new order in July 2020 when Polestar’s site said Sept delivery. Since then there was no communication about status and meanwhile I sold car and truck while the weather was nice. There is a polestar forum run by the same folks that run this one and it is very busy with mostly Europeans who have their cars (and a large number of early adopter issues) and North Americans who most definitely do not have cars none, nada and most of them are ahead of me in line. So with winter coming, I need wheels not rumors. I have my sights on a used Bolt, test drive next week. That will work until the XC arrives in 6-12 mon I guess/hope. So nothing against the car, but the company is still teething and I was feeling like a chew toy. 🐶

·
Registered
174 Posts
For those of you who are confused by the large discrepancy between the 310-mile range mentioned in the Recommended Reading article below and the 208 mile range by the EPA, I read something that was helpful. The official WLTP (European) range for the XC40 is 249 miles. From what I've read, WLTP is based largely on urban and suburban driving, while the EPA emphasizes highway driving, thus the lower range. The article recommended that Americans rely on the EPA, not the WLTP. So far as I can see, the maximum range is only important for most of us, including me, if traveling a long distance on a single trip and that means highway speeds, so the 208 is probably more accurate for practical purposes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm interested in the XC40 Recharge and I considered pre-ordering but Volvo hasn't made clear exactly what pre-ordering does. I guess you will get notified earlier when the cars are available. But the reason I'm reluctant is because the $1,000 it actually goes to the dealer and tells them "I'm very anxious to get this car and I'm going to pay full retail or more for it". If I knew that a pre-order car would lock in the price at MSRP it would be more attractive to do it, but Volvo specifically says that pricing is up to the dealer and there aren't many Volvo dealers in the area.
I couldn’t wait any longer, canceled my Xc40 order and just received my Polestar 2. Love it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Today I received a call from the local Volvo dealer I'd designated as the preferred dealer. He seemed confused and thought I wanted to place my order through him. It took him awhile to understand that I'd already ordered and configured. The good news was that he told me they do NOT charge a premium over the quoted price from Volvo and expected to be able to offer "incentives," by which I understood a reduction in price, but doesn't know yet what Volvo will allow. This is consistent with my previous interaction, but this is the first time I received a firm statement they won't try to charge a premium. I'm assuming there will be a destination charge and of course taxes, but I feel more comfortable I won't get ripped off. It will qualify for the federal EV incentive but the state one is income-based, so I don't know if I'll qualify for that. The dealer didn't have an expected arrival date.

·
Registered
92 Posts
For those in the U.S., would it make sense to try to purchase (and have an electrician install) a home wall charger before the end of the year to take advantage of the Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit? Also, which type of plug does the XC40 Recharge use - NEMA 14-50 or 6-50?

·
Registered
174 Posts
For those in the U.S., would it make sense to try to purchase (and have an electrician install) a home wall charger
I already have a wall charger for my Leaf. It has a SAE J-1772 cord which will fit in the XC-40 CCS port. I got a credit back when It was installed, but won't get anything more for that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Westmo, it would, but good luck getting this done by end of year. My electrician was 6 weeks advance notice (he came in early Nov). What you install for an EVSE is not necessarily what the car comes with. Most EVSEs want 14-50 and many have 6-50 optionally (you need to buy the right one, not change it later). It appears Volvo provides this:
Which is a cable with 2 different plugs that can be swapped. They both connect to the same J1772 connector which is what the car uses for 120/240V home charging.
5-15 is normal wall receptacle, so you might be able to get 12A if your house wiring is up to spec. But 6-20 is only 16A and 240V, and a different type of receptacle, while 6-50 can provide 40A on a 50A 240V breaker.
I went with a 6-50 Grizzl-E 40A on a 50A breaker, but for unknown reasons, my Bolt trips it when set to 32A, but charges no problem at 24A. So I will be interested to see what the XC 40 does when I get it next year, whereupon I will reset the Grizzl-E to 40A for the first test, then dial it down if necessary. Possibly my service box (200A nominal) couldn’t deal with a steady state 32A draw.
Or the Bolt is bad (drawing too much?) or the Grizzl-E is funky. Hard to tell at this point since I only have one each of each component in the chain.
You can buy 3rd party 240V portable charger cables that have 6-50 or 14-50; Amazon is full of them, I have no direct experience.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I got a copy of my order today (upon request from dealer). ETA for delivery (WA state) is mid March :(

Interestingly the heat pump is listed both as an option (001092) and a standard feature (EP02)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Good to hear you have a date; which is the promised 1st quarter. When did you place your original order if you don’t mind saying? I was late to the party so while I’ve had contact with Volvo and local dealer affirming the order, no date has been given yet. Thanks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Good to hear you have a date; which is the promised 1st quarter. When did you place your original order if you don’t mind saying? I was late to the party so while I’ve had contact with Volvo and local dealer affirming the order, no date has been given yet. Thanks.
I did my $1K deposit in January, 2020.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Checked with Volvo Customer center and they said my car production will start mid-Jan and will take 8-10 to delivered to the dealer. So, mid-March or early April should be the day I can see it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I just got another email from the local dealer "confirming" my order (which had already been confirmed twice) and it said my car will start production in January. It also used the original order number US-0000048561 so I guess I didn't lose my place. (I had been given another order number in another email). I don't know how long it takes to manufacture, ship, pass customs, and get transported to the west coast, assuming it arrives on the east coast. In other words, I still don't have an estimated delivery date, but Woomi's estimate sounds plausible.
There was one kicker that will upset some people. It said there was an error on the website about towing capacity. The website said 3500 pounds, but the email says the correct capacity is 2000 pounds. I don't have any plans to tow anything, so it's no biggie for me, but that's a huge difference (down more than 40% from advertised) and could make some people change their minds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I couldn’t wait any longer, canceled my Xc40 order and just received my Polestar 2. Love it.
Hi there, just got on this forum today. I have a deposit on my P2 and expect delivery in the next few weeks. I'm seriously considering bailing and going with the XC40 recharge. What were your reasons to go with the P2?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, a dedicated Forum would be good, but I suspect we'll need a few more users for that to be viable. I've thought that the uncertainty surrounding further China tariffs was a big driver on Volvo's failure to add any new info on the Recharge. As I understand it, the Polestar 2 is exclusively being produced in China and I suspect that Volvo is using the Polestar 2 as a stalking horse for what they will be doing with the Recharge. Supposedly, there will be a big announcement on the status of China tariffs on Jan 15, but this administration lies about everything, so I'll believe it when I see it. I also question whether any responsible company would make investment decisions based on tweets, or USA govt statements.

I've been very disappointed with the lack of any followup, at all, from Volvo. Not only have there been no public statements, I as a "reservation" holder have received ZERO contact from Volvo regarding my reservation. No goodwill being generated there. BMW is also starting production of it's BEV SUV, the i3X in China for the Chinese market and has announced it's plans to export these China-built vehicles to the ROW. I suspect that the uncertain China tariffs are also impacting BMW's plans for the USA for the iX3. At the moment, it "first to the market" for me.
I'm surprised that Volvo has provided little to no communication. This seems to be very similar to Polestar 2 deposit holder experiences. I have a deposit in for a P2 and may actually see it in the next few weeks. However I think the Recharge might be my better option even if I have to wait a few months. Much of the XC40R's guts are the same as the P2 but I think I may be more happy with the SUV setup. I do like the screen built into the dash, heat pump, mud flaps, colour choices, leather and price tag.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi there, just got on this forum today. I have a deposit on my P2 and expect delivery in the next few weeks. I'm seriously considering bailing and going with the XC40 recharge. What were your reasons to go with the P2?
I'm curious too, but FWIW I live in San Diego and cancelled my P2 order last year after finding out the closest "Space" would be 115 miles away in LA and I just couldn't imagine them having to take my only vehicle to LA every time it needed service or maintenance (since that's all done through Spaces in the US). So for me service was the deal breaker for the P2 otherwise I would've already gotten one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm surprised that Volvo has provided little to no communication. This seems to be very similar to Polestar 2 deposit holder experiences. I have a deposit in for a P2 and may actually see it in the next few weeks. However I think the Recharge might be my better option even if I have to wait a few months. Much of the XC40R's guts are the same as the P2 but I think I may be more happy with the SUV setup. I do like the screen built into the dash, heat pump, mud flaps, colour choices, leather and price tag.
There aren't really any comparison reviews out there between the P2 and the XC40 but one comment I noticed was from YouTube electric car reviewer Bjorn Nyland who said the seats in the XC40 are much more comfortable and he got "sweaty" very easily in the P2 seats and didn't like them, and they don't have ventilation so there wasn't anything he could do about that sweatiness. But he loved the XC40 seats. That's really the only comparison he gave other than saying they're both pretty **** inefficient =)

81 - 100 of 319 Posts