Volvo XC40 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
The electric seems to have pretty much the same set of colors as the gas R-design, but with the addition of sage green. You can see them all on the Volvo USA web site. For charging, research home level-2 chargers. You'll need to have a 220 volt line installed where you will charge, if you don't presently have one. There are lots of chargers available on Amazon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m wondering if sitting in the Recharge will be any different (feel/comfort) than sitting in a gasoline powered XC40?

Lastly, is there anything I can be researching or preparing now if I want to do faster charging at home (faster than standard 110v outlet). I’m new to electric vehicles and home charging.
I sat in the XC40 gas and measured the cargo area (for my bike). The seats may be the same, but it is not the same as where all the buttons will be, whether there is a regen paddle like the Bolt EV has, how easily you navigate through screens while keeping your eyes on the road, etc.

Every EV has a max AC Level 2 charging rate. {The Bolt EV can take a max of 7.68 kW (32 amps.)} There is an 11 kW OBCM in the VXC40Recharge, meaning a max 45 amps at 240 VAC. You should look in your wallet and buy either a 32-amp or a 40-amp EVSE. Don't settle for a 30-amp and don't waste money on a 50-amp EVSE.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The electric seems to have pretty much the same set of colors as the gas R-design, but with the addition of sage green. You can see them all on the Volvo USA web site. For charging, research home level-2 chargers. You'll need to have a 220 volt line installed where you will charge, if you don't presently have one. There are lots of chargers available on Amazon.
The Recharge is missing denim blue metallic, which happens to be my favorite color, so I think I am going to go with thunder gray, which in person has a nice subtle blue tint to it and looks a bit different than the typical white and silver everywhere. Bursting blue is kinda cool but reminds me too much of an FJ Cruiser. The red is a cop magnet and the whites are too hard to keep clean. I went to a dealer and saw Glacial Silver in person and it's basically off-white...not silver at all. Sage Green is kinda meh for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Volvo called me to confirm which dealership they'd deliver the car to, and to say the online configurator was going live Tuesday so I could configure my car then. It will be interesting to see what the final price is and the lease and financing offers they have. They also confirmed I can get my deposit back and cancel all the way up until delivery so I can configure and still back out later

·
Registered
13 Posts
Volvo called me to confirm which dealership they'd deliver the car to, and to say the online configurator was going live Tuesday so I could configure my car then. It will be interesting to see what the final price is and the lease and financing offers they have. They also confirmed I can get my deposit back and cancel all the way up until delivery so I can configure and still back out later
That's great news on the deposit. I want to keep things going as long as I can until all the information is in on the Mach-e and ID.4.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did they give any indication of delivery ETA? Wonder if we (in the U.S,) will be able to get the tax credit in tax year 2020.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did they give any indication of delivery ETA? Wonder if we (in the U.S,) will be able to get the tax credit in tax year 2020.
He couldn't promise me any date but said he wouldn't be surprised if it was 3 months or even more, so I wouldn't count on the tax credit this year. But for us, if anything, we'll lease because the resale value on this is gonna be poor, so I'm just gonna count on them factoring in the credit into the lease pricing. Car experts always say it's not a good idea to purchase an EV unless 1) You're getting such a good deal that much of the depreciation has always happened (such as buying a 2019 Bolt brand new for $27k) or 2) You plan on keeping it at least 5 or 6 years or more. But with EV technically advancing so fast and so many new options hitting the market in 2021 and 2022 I don't wanna keep the XC40 more than a 3 year lease. With such a small range by comparison to almost everything else in it's class or below it, I think the resale value on the XC will be pretty bad. We'll wait to see what the configurator offers but if the price is too high for what we're getting we'll probably back out and wait to see what 2021 holds ..I think there's a chance demand will be low enough on the XCs with the Mach E and ID4 being cheaper with longer ranges, that they'll discount them in 2021 to something more reasons and I'll just grab one off a lot in Q2 2021 if it's still what I want. I am hopeful that Volvo has been paying attention to the competition, especially with Ford recently lowering the price of the Mach E and will price the XC appropriately to try to compete.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has anyone received instruction from Volvo on how to configure and place order? I thought it was to be today.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has anyone received instruction from Volvo on how to configure and place order? I thought it was to be today.
Not yet. Volvo rep told me on the phone last week I should be getting an email today, but nothing yet. But technically the official email says sometime "the week of Oct 19" so they could always delay it a day or two more if they wanted. I'll be keeping an eye out on my Inbox today though!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I placed my deposit for the XC40 on the first day the website was available. Just received confirmation that the configurator is available. Volvo has been pretty silent to actual pricing.

Here’s the configuration pricing for those interested:

Base MSRP price: $53,990

Anything other than black is $645 more.
19” wheels (upgrading to 20” wheels cost $800 more)
Exterior styling kit adds $1,995
Climate package adds $750
Advance Package adds $1300
Protection Package adds $470
Heat pump adds $350
Harman Kardon sound adds $800
Lava carpet adds $100 (only available if you select the black exterior)
Trailer hitch adds $1,140
Roof rack adds $330
Destination fee is $995

Climate Package:

Heated Windshield Washer Nozzles
Heated Steering Wheel
Heated Rear Seats
Heated Windshield Washer Nozzles
Heating prevents the washer fluid from freezing in the nozzles, ensuring that the windshield can be washed even in the harshest conditions.
Heated Steering Wheel
The electrically heated steering wheel gives you extra comfort on cold mornings and allows you to drive without gloves on. A touch of a button in the center display, and your hands start warming up as you drive away. The heating can be set in three levels.
Heated Rear Seats
Heating of the two outer rear seat cushions and backrests adds to the sense of luxury in your Volvo by offering instant comfort when it's cold. Individual three-level controls are easily accessible from the rear seat.

Advanced Package:
Wireless Charging For Smartphones
Pilot Assist Driver Assistance System W/ Adaptive Cruise Control
360° Surround View Camera
Luggage Area 12V Power Outlet
Headlight High Pressure Cleaning
Wireless Charging For Smartphones
Keep your smartphone within easy reach and charge it at the same time. No wires needed – just put your smartphone in the storage space beneath the center touchscreen and wireless charging ensures the battery is charged.
Pilot Assist Driver Assistance System W/ Adaptive Cruise Control
Including our supportive drive technologies Adaptive Cruise Control and Pilot Assist, IntelliSafe Assist allows you to enjoy smooth driving from standstill up to highway speeds. Adaptive Cruise Control automatically helps you keep a set speed and distance to the vehicle in front, while Pilot Assist adds gentle steering support to help keep the vehicle centered in its lane. Please note: The driver is always responsible for how the vehicle is controlled as well as for maintaining the correct distance and speed, even when IntelliSafe Assist is being used. Driver support systems, such as Adaptive Cruise Control and Pilot Assist, are restricted in how much acceleration, braking and steering force they can apply.
360° Surround View Camera
Our 360° camera adds to peace of mind when backing up or maneuvering in tight spaces with impaired visibility. Six high-definition views are available in the center display. A convenient bird's-eye top view of the vehicle and the surrounding area is default. And when needed, you can choose a rear view or front view including intersection view. The rear view also shows guiding lines that indicate your vehicle's trajectory for easier parking. To get a better view of what's happening along the sides of your vehicle, just select left or right side view. The system uses four cameras: one at each door mirror, one at the front and one at the rear. Touching any of the camera images on the center display will give you the view from that specific camera. The rear camera can also be switched to a zoomed-in view close to the vehicle, which is particularly convenient when hitching a trailer.
Luggage Area 12V Power Outlet
Add versatility to your Volvo and connect extra electrical equipment, such as a cooler box, with this 12 V power outlet in the trunk.
Headlight High Pressure Cleaning
Our headlight cleaning uses high-pressure jets to efficiently clean dirt and dust from the headlights and is activated together with the windshield washers. When activated, the nozzles pop out of the bumpers. Intelligent sequential cleaning helps save washer fluid.

Protection Package Premier:
License Plate Frames (Accessory)
Rubber Floor Mats (Accessory)
Cargo Mat (Accessory)
Wheel Locks (Accessory)
License Plate Frames (Accessory)
Volvo License plate frames provide the perfect finishing touch to dress up the exterior of your vehicle. The chrome-plated frames are made from high-grade stainless steel and are beautifully hand-polished for a sparkling shine. The frames are designed for easy installation with four mounting holes and four finishing acorn nuts.
Rubber Floor Mats (Accessory)
Soft and flexible with the characteristics of rubber, this plastic floor mat set for the passenger compartment includes a tunnel mat and is designed to protect the floor of your Volvo without compromising interior design. Practical features include raised, soft edges all around, which provide optimal protection against wet and dirt. Both the color and shape of the mats are matched for integration with the car's interior. Simple to install and able to form a tight seal against the floor thanks to integrated clips through leak-protected installation holes. Easily removable and quickly rinsed with water.
Cargo Mat (Accessory)
Specially designed for your Volvo, this practical and stylish molded plastic mat features a high-friction coating to prevent your load from sliding around. It also helps prevent dirt and water from entering the trunk. Available in two variants, for vehicles with or without a shopping bag holder.
Wheel Locks (Accessory)
Increase security and reduce the risk of wheel theft with these lockable wheel bolts. Features one uniquely coded socket allowing only you or your dealer or technician to remove the wheels. And to make the bolts perfectly match the wheel design, choose a wheel bolt kit with color-coordinated caps in Matt Tech Black, Silver or Chrome finish.

As of October 20, the Volvo Customer Care Center didn’t know whether the overseas delivery program would be available for the Recharge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Regarding delivery timing, here's what came in the configuration email:

Hurry, you will only have access to configure your car through November 6, 2020!

You must configure your car by the above date in order to secure your order. Vehicles begin arriving early next year as inventory becomes available on a first-come, first-served basis.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just configured mine. I opted for the advanced package and the front mud flaps, nothing else. MSRP: $57,020.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes I got my configuration email today as well. Here are my thoughts and what I chose:
  • Color: After looking at all available colors in person at a Volvo lot, we went with Thunder Grey because it's a pretty combo of grey and blue. The bright blue was too bright and the red was too red for us. I haven't seen any sage green in person and just couldn't trust the online pictures/videos.
  • Wheels: Went with the 19". Every review of a regular XC40 I watched said the 19s are great and go well with the size of the car, and ride quality is very good. The 20s look a bit too "chromey" to me and ride quality and range will likely suffer.
  • Exterior Styling Kit: Who would pay 2 grand for some added chrome is beyond me. Hard pass.
  • Climate Package: Yes, cuz I love me a heated steering wheel!
  • Advanced Package: Of course!
  • Protection Package: I debated on this one for a bit but ultimately decided it was more convenient to get this than to go get my own weathertech mats and custom cut them and maybe save a couple hundred bucks
  • Lava Carpet: **** no
  • Heat pump: **** yes
  • Harmon Kardon stereo: Yes, I love great sound systems in cars and I've heard the HK in others so have high hopes.
  • Steel protective grill, Mud flaps, load bars, and trailer hitch: No need for me so I passed.
Pricing: Total came to 59,300. This is a LOT for what you get, especially the range, and with competitors all being cheaper. Gonna be hard to justify this come delivery time. Sadly there was no information about Leasing, even after I put in my zip code. I will definitely not be financing or purchasing this outright, even with the tax credit, because I only like to keep cars for about 3 years, and resale for this given the range and advances in technology and other competitors in the next few years, will be very poor. For me it will either be a lease or nothing. But since I have no idea what the least pricing will be yet, it is still TBD on whether I actually get this vehicle. Since my deposit is refundable all the way up until time of delivery, I have plenty of time to test drive it and work out the least numbers. For now I would say I am moderately excited for the vehicle, but not happy with the price and may still back out. I say there's probably a 50/50 chance given the price and range combination, that there will be plenty of these available on the lot mid next year for a decent discount, so it's just a matter of whether or not I want to pay the early adopter premium.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Pricing: Total came to 59,300. This is a LOT for what you get, especially the range, and with competitors all being cheaper. Gonna be hard to justify this come delivery time. Sadly there was no information about Leasing, even after I put in my zip code. I will definitely not be financing or purchasing this outright, even with the tax credit, because I only like to keep cars for about 3 years, and resale for this given the range and advances in technology and other competitors in the next few years, will be very poor. For me it will either be a lease or nothing. But since I have no idea what the least pricing will be yet, it is still TBD on whether I actually get this vehicle. Since my deposit is refundable all the way up until time of delivery, I have plenty of time to test drive it and work out the least numbers. For now I would say I am moderately excited for the vehicle, but not happy with the price and may still back out. I say there's probably a 50/50 chance given the price and range combination, that there will be plenty of these available on the lot mid next year for a decent discount, so it's just a matter of whether or not I want to pay the early adopter premium.
I, too, may opt out after a test drive. I chose the blue. I'm not wedded to this car, but the alternatives (small electric SUV) all have their problems. Most are too big for my garage, or at least would make it very difficult to do the laundry, get out the lawn mower, or even open the door to the house. Some don't have the height advantage or AWD. I've never had a heated steering wheel. The heated front seats should be fine for me. My 2011 Leaf has essentially no heat for the first two miles of driving and I'm sick of that. I had a 1999 Volvo C70 coupe, which was a great car, and I loved the Harmon Kardon sound system, but I'm retired now and don't do much driving so the extra money for that isn't worth it for me, nor is the range a big concern, although I'm a bit perplexed about why it was originally estimated the range might be 310 mi. and now the EPA says it's 208. That's a huge disparity. Still, my Leaf has lost three bars of range and now for practical purposes I can't take it for any round trip over 35 miles, so 200+ will seem like a luxury.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone shopped around to see if we can negotiate $ off MSRP? My experience in pre-ordering cars in the past is that once a dealer is selected, you cannot shift the order to another and thus you lose your negotiating leverage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has anyone shopped around to see if we can negotiate $ off MSRP? My experience in pre-ordering cars in the past is that once a dealer is selected, you cannot shift the order to another and thus you lose your negotiating leverage.
No negotiating with a custom config order, but once the car is delivered to your dealer you can still refuse to take it, as your $1000 pre order deposit is refundable up until you take delivery. If you say you've decided to back out because the vehicle is too expensive, and If demand is low and the dealer doesn't want to have to keep the car on the lot and try to sell it, there may be some wiggle room there but I don't know how that would work. In theory you could refuse it then once the dealer lists it for sale go back (or have a spouse go in) and try to buy it for cheaper haha. Always the risk that someone else will snatch it up, but honestly I don't think demand will be very high for this given the price and range. I'm guessing there will probably be discounts on sitting lot inventory by March or April. Early adopters will pay a premium for sure, and definitely not get their money back for a long time... definition better to lease this vehicle than buy it unless you plan to keep it for at least 5-6 years.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did call the two nearest dealers to me to try to do exactly that - negotiate a discount off MSRP, but neither one seemed interested. The response at both was the same - Volvo will set the price and tell us what discount will be permissible and that will be the same at every dealer. This is different from whn I pre-ordered my Leaf. At that time there was a loosely organized club of locals who had pre-ordered, and one dealer reached out to us and offered a good discount to all members of the club as long as we didn't post online that we had received the discount. The word was spread via private email and separate member-only website. They held to the deal and the buying process was smooth. When I was looking at the Crosstrek as an option, one dealer wouldn't even let me test drive the model they had unless I agreed to pay $5K over MSRP. I told him that was ridiculous and he went back inside to get the key and never came out. I was standing in the rain for ten minues when a woman came out and told me to go home. Billfan is correct, though. You can refuse to take it and try to negotiate down, but you risk losing the car to someone else and having to start all over.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’m configuring mine today/tomorrow, and here’s how I’m leaning
  • Color: Red. We’ve seen the red in person on multiple different XC40’s and really like it. Like many of these colors, it changes significantly depending on the presence/lack of sun/daylight (sometimes looks red/orange-ish). Probably 2nd choice was blue, but we’re going with red. Black is def out for us. Our other vehicle is silver, so that's out. My usual preference (and my current vehicle) is gray, but I'm just not feeling this one.
  • Wheels: 20’s. Again, I’ve seen them in person and think they have a better appearance that’s worth the $. I’m not convinced they’ll noticeably impact ride comfort or range (but I could be proven wrong)
  • Exterior Styling Kit: I’d be interested in seeing real photos of the XC40 with this, but agree with above – can’t fathom paying $2K for some extra brushed nickel fiberglass.
  • Climate Package: Yes, but only because of the heated steering wheel. We’ve had one on our last two vehicles and they are AWESOME during cold months.
  • Advanced Package: May be in the minority here, but this is a pass for us. Wireless charging is more of a nice-to-have than a must have, and the only other attractive part of this package to me is adaptive cruise control … which we’ll do without given package price and small number of long trips we’d use it.
  • Protection Package: On the fence. I'm definitely getting floor mats and cargo mat, but still weighing the price/hassle factor btwn this package and 3rd party.
  • Lava Carpet: Nope
  • Heat pump: Yes
  • Harmon Kardon stereo: Yes. Treating myself to this. My last two factory sound systems (Audi & BMW) have pretty much sucked, so willing to spend more here to get better sound.
  • Steel protective grill, Mud flaps, and trailer hitch: No. I would’ve considered the trailer hitch for lower $$.
  • Load bars: Yes. We’ll likely be putting on ski/snowboard racks

61 - 80 of 103 Posts