Volvo XC40 Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
fbrunet99, your concerns are valid. I signed up to take a test drive for a new model Subaru last year (Crosstrek PHEV). I kept getting marketing emails (and still get them). When I showed up at the first dealer after being notified they were in, I couldn't take a test drive because all the models had already been sold for over MSRP. At the second dealer the salesman took me out to the car and before letting me in said I had to agree to pay $5,000 over MSRP in order to test drive. I scoffed. He went back inside to get the key and never came out, leaving me standing in the rain. I went back to the first dealer a few months later and this time they had the car for me to drive, but the only one they had had both a dead 12V battery and a dead traction battery, so it couldn't be driven in electric mode, but when I walked away, the manager chased me out to my car and said he'd sell it to me for $2,500 over MSRP. In the forums for that model, everyone was confirming they had to pay over MSRP. That seems to be the norm for new models in short supply, at least in the PHEV/EV world. It seems the sales people and maintenance people are clueless about them, too. I had a good experience with making a deposit on my Nissan Leaf in 2011, though. The price was fixed well in advance and so were the color and options. Volvo hasn't communicated, but at least the dealers aren't inundating me with ads and spam.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Sales and maintenance people are clueless about EVs: I've heard several times that there is a disincentive for dealers to sell EVs because there is almost no maintenance needed. Once they sell you the car they won't ever see you again for oil change, timing belts, alternators, etc. They might see you for brake inspection or something but EVs have less brake wear too due to the regenerative braking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm interested in the XC40 Recharge and I considered pre-ordering but Volvo hasn't made clear exactly what pre-ordering does. I guess you will get notified earlier when the cars are available. But the reason I'm reluctant is because the $1,000 it actually goes to the dealer and tells them "I'm very anxious to get this car and I'm going to pay full retail or more for it". If I knew that a pre-order car would lock in the price at MSRP it would be more attractive to do it, but Volvo specifically says that pricing is up to the dealer and there aren't many Volvo dealers in the area.

Hard to give you a definitive answer as Volvo has been totally silent since I placed the pre-order. I might cancel it if I even knew how to do that. At the time of sign up, Volvo said that they would ask for my "preferred dealer" when it was time to place an order. Have heard nothing since. Anticipating the typical Dealer shennanigans, I e-mailed each of the three Volvo dealers in Houston asking them how much they would discount off MSRP, so that I could choose which dealer to designate. All I got back was being placed on the standard ad push from each of the dealers. We don't know if pre-ordering even places us on a priority delivery list. When Audi had a pre-order list for the e-Tron, you got to do a test drive about a week early. Frankly, I'd cancel my pre-order and get the $1000 back if I could find out how to do that. I tend to agree with you that it just puts us on a "sucker list" for the dealer.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts