Volvo XC40 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
fbrunet99, your concerns are valid. I signed up to take a test drive for a new model Subaru last year (Crosstrek PHEV). I kept getting marketing emails (and still get them). When I showed up at the first dealer after being notified they were in, I couldn't take a test drive because all the models had already been sold for over MSRP. At the second dealer the salesman took me out to the car and before letting me in said I had to agree to pay $5,000 over MSRP in order to test drive. I scoffed. He went back inside to get the key and never came out, leaving me standing in the rain. I went back to the first dealer a few months later and this time they had the car for me to drive, but the only one they had had both a dead 12V battery and a dead traction battery, so it couldn't be driven in electric mode, but when I walked away, the manager chased me out to my car and said he'd sell it to me for $2,500 over MSRP. In the forums for that model, everyone was confirming they had to pay over MSRP. That seems to be the norm for new models in short supply, at least in the PHEV/EV world. It seems the sales people and maintenance people are clueless about them, too. I had a good experience with making a deposit on my Nissan Leaf in 2011, though. The price was fixed well in advance and so were the color and options. Volvo hasn't communicated, but at least the dealers aren't inundating me with ads and spam.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Sales and maintenance people are clueless about EVs: I've heard several times that there is a disincentive for dealers to sell EVs because there is almost no maintenance needed. Once they sell you the car they won't ever see you again for oil change, timing belts, alternators, etc. They might see you for brake inspection or something but EVs have less brake wear too due to the regenerative braking.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm interested in the XC40 Recharge and I considered pre-ordering but Volvo hasn't made clear exactly what pre-ordering does. I guess you will get notified earlier when the cars are available. But the reason I'm reluctant is because the $1,000 it actually goes to the dealer and tells them "I'm very anxious to get this car and I'm going to pay full retail or more for it". If I knew that a pre-order car would lock in the price at MSRP it would be more attractive to do it, but Volvo specifically says that pricing is up to the dealer and there aren't many Volvo dealers in the area.

Hard to give you a definitive answer as Volvo has been totally silent since I placed the pre-order. I might cancel it if I even knew how to do that. At the time of sign up, Volvo said that they would ask for my "preferred dealer" when it was time to place an order. Have heard nothing since. Anticipating the typical Dealer shennanigans, I e-mailed each of the three Volvo dealers in Houston asking them how much they would discount off MSRP, so that I could choose which dealer to designate. All I got back was being placed on the standard ad push from each of the dealers. We don't know if pre-ordering even places us on a priority delivery list. When Audi had a pre-order list for the e-Tron, you got to do a test drive about a week early. Frankly, I'd cancel my pre-order and get the $1000 back if I could find out how to do that. I tend to agree with you that it just puts us on a "sucker list" for the dealer.

·
170 Posts
I thought Volvo might have taken a lesson from its horrendous Care By Volvo Subscription introduction in the US that left many people frustrated including - like me - a first-time Volvo purchaser. It’s disappointing they are apparently repeating the same m.o. of taking people’s money and then dropping all communication for months. I hope someone at Volvo might read this and get the message that they are going to lose business if they don’t step up.

Don’t worry about the dealer getting your info as a jazzed customer. You are, and they’ll figure that out eventually anyway. No one is going to be getting any breaks on the Recharge for a while, anyway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I cancelled my order. Just bought a 2020 BMW 530e PHEV at a good price, which will serve 90% of my driving in EV mode. I'll take another look at the Volvo in a couple of years. If there had been any information from Volvo on timing/price/delivery process, I might have waited.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I cancelled my order. Just bought a 2020 BMW 530e PHEV at a good price, which will serve 90% of my driving in EV mode. I'll take another look at the Volvo in a couple of years. If there had been any information from Volvo on timing/price/delivery process, I might have waited.
Nice car! I'm ready to cancel as well. I'm probably going to switch to Mustang Mach E, or maybe Niro EV. I spent the last three years with an Audi plug-in hybrid and just have to get off gas completely.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been looking for a place to find out more about when production might start. I pre ordered Oct 16 2019. Live in San Diego.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello, MKH92128. It's good to see some others here. I doubt anybody has any reliable information now. There was little before and now with Covid-19 interrupting everything, I imagine all timelines are out the window.

·
170 Posts
Sorry to read this. It sounds like you could have been a good customer. Since you needed a replacement soon, probably the best thing to have done under current circumstances though. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, MKH92128. It's good to see some others here. I doubt anybody has any reliable information now. There was little before and now with Covid-19 interrupting everything, I imagine all timelines are out the window.
Yeah, i feel the same. Just hoping I can get it by EOY so I can get my Fed tax credit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I haven't heard anything from Volvo about when the car will be available, or about anything, really. They have my $1000 deposit. I probably came out ahead giving them an interest-free loan since if I had kept the money I probably would have invested it in some stocks that have tanked big time by now. There are bound to be production delays due to the pandemic, but they should put out a statement to us depositers explaining what they are doing and what to expect. I've gotten a lot of statements of that sort from all kinds of businesses. I just got word from USAA that they are crediting a rebate to us on auto insurance premiums due to the huge reduction in claims during the pandemic. The rebate will reduce future automatic payments.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've paid the $1000 deposit for a pre-order of the full EV XC40. I owned a 2014 BMW i3 full EV for three years, and just about to take delivery of my third BMW PHEV. In July, my lease of the BMW 330e PHEV ends and I'm looking forward to the XC40 Recharge. That will give me a 2020 BMW 530e PHEV for inter-city trips and a city car in the XC40 Recharge. The Recharge is a much more impressive car than the i3, on paper and in driving the ICE XC40. Suppose I open the discussion on the Recharge with some questions and comments. I do not see any other posts on the Recharge.

First, none of the four local Volvo dealers in the Houston area know anything about the car or the pre-order process. One wondered if it was going to be like the "Care by Volvo" program where the business arrangements are directly with Volvo with the Dealer serving only a delivery role. I don't think this makes any sense for Volvo, but time will tell. The Polestar 2 uses exactly the same driving train and battery as the Recharge and it is currently in pre-production testing at the China factory. First deliveries in the USA are projected to be in June. This, and the price, are very much up in the air, at this time; because of pending new Trump Tariffs on China. The XC40 Recharge is also supposed to be manufactured in the China facility, but it is also to be made in the Ghent, Belgium factory and I expect that this will be the source for USA Recharge deliveries. In a perfectly rational World, the West Coast would get China-made cars and everything East of the Rockies would get Belgian-made cars. But, it isn't a perfect World, is it? A European site has the production date for European deliveries listed as "coming". I am certainly hoping for a mid, rather than late, 2020 date.

I'd love to take a Sweden delivery of the Recharge, but there is no info on this, yet. Norway and Sweden have the most advanced charging networks available, so I wouldn't anticipate any difficulties with this.

Anyone else want to contribute to a discussion of the XC40 Recharge?
I ordered on day one, so agree Volvo has done a poor job of keeping us up to date. I currently have a Hyundai Ionic PHEV and haven’t filled up in 4 months, but looking forward to the electric XC 40 EV. Would like to see a site for all Recharge comments

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got tired of waiting and contacted Volvo via email. Here's the response I got:

Thank you for contacting Volvo! You will be notified within the next few months to start building your vehicle, via email. We are expecting these vehicles to arrive in Q1 of 2021. If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Med vänliga hälsningar
Yours Sincerely,
Matthew
Volvo Customer Care

Med vänliga hälsningar means sincerely in Swedish. The BMW iX3 is looking a lot better to me, but it's way overpriced and too big for me. The Byton e-Byte is reasonably priced, but it's too big and I don't trust a brand new company, especially a Chinese one. I'm reluctant to buy any car manufactured during the COVID-19 pandemic. Who knows how many workers were fill-ins, how good the QA inspections were, etc. Since we're still in stay-at-home mode here in California, my Leaf is more than adequate for the little driving I'm doing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got tired of waiting and contacted Volvo via email. Here's the response I got:

Thank you for contacting Volvo! You will be notified within the next few months to start building your vehicle, via email. We are expecting these vehicles to arrive in Q1 of 2021. If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Med vänliga hälsningar
Yours Sincerely,
Matthew
Volvo Customer Care

Med vänliga hälsningar means sincerely in Swedish. The BMW iX3 is looking a lot better to me, but it's way overpriced and too big for me. The Byton e-Byte is reasonably priced, but it's too big and I don't trust a brand new company, especially a Chinese one. I'm reluctant to buy any car manufactured during the COVID-19 pandemic. Who knows how many workers were fill-ins, how good the QA inspections were, etc. Since we're still in stay-at-home mode here in California, my Leaf is more than adequate for the little driving I'm doing.
Ditto. And, now that Polestar 2 is available I put a deposit on it. Got email yesterday that I would be contacted in about 2 weeks to arrange finance and delivery. Looks like I will be able to get that in November. Then I will give my reservation to my son for the XC40.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Med vänliga hälsningar
Yours Sincerely,
Matthew
Volvo Customer Care

Thanks for this. Finally some useful timing information. When I put down a deposit last year (was it announced in October?) I fully expected that I would be getting a car this year. As a backup I also put a deposit on a Mach-e. It now appears that will be available well before the XC-40. I wish I could love the Polestar, but I just can't buy another car that sits so low.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for this. Finally some useful timing information. When I put down a deposit last year (was it announced in October?) I fully expected that I would be getting a car this year. As a backup I also put a deposit on a Mach-e. It now appears that will be available well before the XC-40. I wish I could love the Polestar, but I just can't buy another car that sits so low.
Actually Polestar sits pretty high, as it’s built on the XC40 frame. And, everything I’ve heard as well. I should be test driving this month, I’ll report back after that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am not "lurking" as I have joined the Forum, so I will add to the conversation. I, too, am interested in the XC40 Recharge, but have not put a deposit down yet. All info I had seen online up to now said a 2020Q4 availability, but I read above that it has been pushed to 2021Q1. Was that speculation, or confirmed? We have one Volvo dealer in our state, about 40 miles from my home. I currently drive a blue 2017 Chevy Bolt EV and love it. I smuggled it in from Maryland in May, 2017. I have taken it on over 10 trips of 800+ miles RT. I had to pay full MSRP (but not over) and, in fact, they knocked ~$350 off for the sound system upgrade which I had not wanted. We have NO SAE/CCS DCFC in our entire state, but hopefully will within a year. My reasons for considering the switch to Volvo are: 1) 150 kW max DC Level 2 charging rate as opposed to 55 kW; 2) true LKA and not LDW; 3) ACC (the Bolt has none); and, 4) OTA updates. {Until we get DCFC, that faster charge rate does not really matter.} I, too, find the range wanting (especially for a 78 kWh battery). They are predicting an average of 2.6 mi/kWh, far less than the 4.0 mi/kWh I routinely get now. Fortunately, I have seen less than 4% battery degradation (in 39 mos.), about average for a liquid-cooled battery.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts