Volvo XC40 Forum banner

241 - 260 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
97 Posts
I just had a nightmare experience at my dealer. The general manager emailed me that my car was there and being prepped and to come pick it up. That was about 10AM. I called back and asked to speak to her, but got shuffled to the sales manager. He said it wouldn't be ready until 4:00. I agreed to come in at 4:00, but told them my wife would not be able to come with me, either to drive back our existing car or sign anything due to her medical condition, but that I wanted her on title. I asked if she had to be there since I was paying cash. The manager said she didn't have to come in, that I could come in and do all the paperwork, pay, and they could deliver the car to my home. He said my wife could sign a form at delivery to get put on title. So I showed up at 4:00 and it turned out the car wasn't ready. It looked like they were just beginning to prep it. There was plastic all over everything, heavily taped and there was a guy inside doing a software upgrade.They said it would take at least an hour. I was irritated but that was no biggie since they were going to deliver it that evening, they had promised. I went inside to pay. The manager had given me a final price via email and it was the fair, proper price. When I sat down with the salesman I was handed a form with that price, so no problem there. I agreed with the price, signed the price sheet, and pulled out my checkbook. He told me not to make out the check yet.

This is the same salesman who had let me take a test drive in a demo. At that time he had taken my driver's license and insurance info and knew I was scheduled to pick up my pre-order car in a few weeks. I'd also told him I'd be paying cash and he said that was fine. Today it was obvious he hadn't remembered or taken note on any of that, nor had he talked to the sales manager, apparently. They'd had weeks to do a credit check if they'd wanted one. So today at 4:00 he told me if my wife was going to be on title she had to be present. I got highly peeved and told him the sales manager had assured me just the opposite. I started to get up and leave since she wasn't there. The salesman hustled in to the manager and then they had to confer with yet another manager, the credit manager. This took what seemed like forever and they finally decided they could do just what the sales manager had told me. I had my wife's driver's license with me, so they took that and mine, and the insurance info, copied them and said they wouldn't need to do a credit check since I was paying cash, but still needed me to fill in their credit form. I did. It requested a whole lot of information they didn't really need if they weren't really doing a credit check, but I filled it all in. I'd been there 45 minutes by this time. When I'd finished, the salesman then told me that I still couldn't pay because the credit manager was with another customer and would be for another hour, but I was "up next."

I wasn't about to sit around for another hour, and then probably another hour after that while the credit manager did whatever she was to do, which was obviously running a credit check and probably trying to talk me into buying on crdit or taking a lease instead. I have outstanding credit and don't mind that considering the size of the check, but I don't like being lied to just to keep me there and upsold and don't like being lied to about the need for my wife or having the car ready for me. I felt like cussing a blue streak, but just grabbed my stuff and started out the door. The salesman ran after me calling "but it'll be ready by six". I yelled back "I won't be here. I have two weeks to cancel" and walked out.

At 6:45pm I got a call from the salesman who said the car was ready and all I had to do was come in and sign the papers. I let it go to voice mail. He asked for a call back, but I'm going to let them stew for a few days. I may even cancel the order. They're obviously either dishonest or incompetent or both. After a year and half of waiting I may have to start all over.
If I ever can influence dealer operations that is first thing to go. The whole I have to get my manager, walk away to get pricing is beyond annoying and not needed. Especially when it’s sorted out!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just had a nightmare experience at my dealer. The general manager emailed me that my car was there and being prepped and to come pick it up. That was about 10AM. I called back and asked to speak to her, but got shuffled to the sales manager. He said it wouldn't be ready until 4:00. I agreed to come in at 4:00, but told them my wife would not be able to come with me, either to drive back our existing car or sign anything due to her medical condition, but that I wanted her on title. I asked if she had to be there since I was paying cash. The manager said she didn't have to come in, that I could come in and do all the paperwork, pay, and they could deliver the car to my home. He said my wife could sign a form at delivery to get put on title. So I showed up at 4:00 and it turned out the car wasn't ready. It looked like they were just beginning to prep it. There was plastic all over everything, heavily taped and there was a guy inside doing a software upgrade.They said it would take at least an hour. I was irritated but that was no biggie since they were going to deliver it that evening, they had promised. I went inside to pay. The manager had given me a final price via email and it was the fair, proper price. When I sat down with the salesman I was handed a form with that price, so no problem there. I agreed with the price, signed the price sheet, and pulled out my checkbook. He told me not to make out the check yet.

This is the same salesman who had let me take a test drive in a demo. At that time he had taken my driver's license and insurance info and knew I was scheduled to pick up my pre-order car in a few weeks. I'd also told him I'd be paying cash and he said that was fine. Today it was obvious he hadn't remembered or taken note on any of that, nor had he talked to the sales manager, apparently. They'd had weeks to do a credit check if they'd wanted one. So today at 4:00 he told me if my wife was going to be on title she had to be present. I got highly peeved and told him the sales manager had assured me just the opposite. I started to get up and leave since she wasn't there. The salesman hustled in to the manager and then they had to confer with yet another manager, the credit manager. This took what seemed like forever and they finally decided they could do just what the sales manager had told me. I had my wife's driver's license with me, so they took that and mine, and the insurance info, copied them and said they wouldn't need to do a credit check since I was paying cash, but still needed me to fill in their credit form. I did. It requested a whole lot of information they didn't really need if they weren't really doing a credit check, but I filled it all in. I'd been there 45 minutes by this time. When I'd finished, the salesman then told me that I still couldn't pay because the credit manager was with another customer and would be for another hour, but I was "up next."

I wasn't about to sit around for another hour, and then probably another hour after that while the credit manager did whatever she was to do, which was obviously running a credit check and probably trying to talk me into buying on crdit or taking a lease instead. I have outstanding credit and don't mind that considering the size of the check, but I don't like being lied to just to keep me there and upsold and don't like being lied to about the need for my wife or having the car ready for me. I felt like cussing a blue streak, but just grabbed my stuff and started out the door. The salesman ran after me calling "but it'll be ready by six". I yelled back "I won't be here. I have two weeks to cancel" and walked out.

At 6:45pm I got a call from the salesman who said the car was ready and all I had to do was come in and sign the papers. I let it go to voice mail. He asked for a call back, but I'm going to let them stew for a few days. I may even cancel the order. They're obviously either dishonest or incompetent or both. After a year and half of waiting I may have to start all over.
That sounds like quite an ordeal!

·
Registered
34 Posts
That sounds like quite an ordeal!
A bad experience with a poor salesperson. Anyone who has bought cars through the years will tell of similar experiences. This is why car salespersons are rarely ranked on most admired lists.

I suggest you do what I do. Request that the car be delivered to your house. You will sign all the the papers on site at your house. In a cash deal, that is very easy.

I have yet to find a dealer who won't do a home delivery to complete a deal. That's how I bought my XC40 Recharge. And from a dealer that was 90 miles away. The local dealer did not have the car for sale.

I purchased the car, signed over a trade in on a pre negotiated price, and completed the transaction at my kitchen table. It took 30 minutes, including the new/trade in transfers and car check out.

With COVID precautions, it is a more than reasonable demand.

·
Registered
45 Posts
There's a lot of negative stuff on here so I thought I would post my experience.

My dealer had the car detailed and the put in a separate private showroom. We walked through all the details of the car. I cut him short on a few things because I knew a lot before hand by he still tried. He has kept in contact this while time with any issues before I have to call him. I have nothing but great things to say about my dealership even if they did update my car with the same update but that's only because my salesman made sure the update was done in January before I took the car. I love the car, I love my Volvo people. I am frustrated with the rollout of the updates by I think most of us are.

That's all, lose your bad dealers and find good ones. They do exist.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
97 Posts
There's a lot of negative stuff on here so I thought I would post my experience.

My dealer had the car detailed and the put in a separate private showroom. We walked through all the details of the car. I cut him short on a few things because I knew a lot before hand by he still tried. He has kept in contact this while time with any issues before I have to call him. I have nothing but great things to say about my dealership even if they did update my car with the same update but that's only because my salesman made sure the update was done in January before I took the car. I love the car, I love my Volvo people. I am frustrated with the rollout of the updates by I think most of us are.

That's all, lose your bad dealers and find good ones. They do exist.
Sadly the bigger item is Volvo corporate forgets to us Volvo is both corporate and dealerships. They need to figure out the correct synergy between both for roll outs.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Coffeenerdguy: What you’d experience should be the norm, not the exception - Glad some have great experience.
This morning I went to the Dealership to cancel my initial reservation - I was mentally prepared to get into long annoying conversations of “Whys” etc. The minute the sales guy saw me he asked “Oh hi what can I do for you...” as if he had forgotten the countless follow-ups he was supposedly going to do but never did....we went or his office I said “...unfortunately I’d like to cancel my reservation...” He said “...is that the credit card you’d used ? Let me get with Finance now...” He came back 1 minute later, handed me the card and said “...sorry it didn’t work out for you...” AS IF I was the problem !
Didnt even get into ANY conversation of why etc...nothing...so I thanked him for his time and walked out. Whole ordeal was literally 5 minutes at 9am.... I’m SOOO glad it’s over with him and that Dealer, just WOW. But hey, they have extreme high confidence that the P8 will sell like hot cakes so why even bother with ANY courtesy or follow up ! Shame Shame......

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
97 Posts
Coffeenerdguy: What you’d experience should be the norm, not the exception - Glad some have great experience.
This morning I went to the Dealership to cancel my initial reservation - I was mentally prepared to get into long annoying conversations of “Whys” etc. The minute the sales guy saw me he asked “Oh hi what can I do for you...” as if he had forgotten the countless follow-ups he was supposedly going to do but never did....we went or his office I said “...unfortunately I’d like to cancel my reservation...” He said “...is that the credit card you’d used ? Let me get with Finance now...” He came back 1 minute later, handed me the card and said “...sorry it didn’t work out for you...” AS IF I was the problem !
Didnt even get into ANY conversation of why etc...nothing...so I thanked him for his time and walked out. Whole ordeal was literally 5 minutes at 9am.... I’m SOOO glad it’s over with him and that Dealer, just WOW. But hey, they have extreme high confidence that the P8 will sell like hot cakes so why even bother with ANY courtesy or follow up ! Shame Shame......
Good to know - I was concerned I'd have to chase corporate down for the $1,000 deposit done on the website back in Nov 2019 for me.

·
Registered
51 Posts

So what happened?

·
Registered
75 Posts
So what happened?
The next day I emailed a complaint to the General Manager. She sent an apology and had the car delivered to my house by the credit manager. We did all the paperwork there with my wife able to sign, of course. I have the car now. I like it very much, but I', disappointed in the infortainment system. See the separate thread on that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hmmm - have you had it to the dealer recently - maybe they did the update? There must be a way in the centre display to check what version of software the car has and when it was updated.
Mine is still showing January for the build. I'll call them tomorrow. Also, my dealer thought mine was available to sell because they already had a demo but I guess mine should have been a demo. Lol, so confusing.

Can anyone verify that they have the new build on their car?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine is still showing January for the build. I'll call them tomorrow. Also, my dealer thought mine was available to sell because they already had a demo but I guess mine should have been a demo. Lol, so confusing.

Can anyone verify that they have the new build on their car?
I pick my up Tuesday and will confirm for you since I’m sure I’ll be in the settings a lot!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same for me. I looked up my vin for the recall and it says it’s been updated. But my dealer did it last week.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Finally got my Recharge last week. After so many emails back and forth with Volvo on the status of the ones delayed at port including my pre-order, I couldn't wait anymore for them to fix that heat pump issue that's causing the delay and release my car. I decided to take delivery of another one that my dealership had just received exactly like my pre-ordered one minus the heat pump (I was kind of on the fence about the heat pump anyways). Loving it so far. My original pre-ordered one is probably still at port. Glad to hear people have the pump and no issues reported so far.

241 - 260 of 269 Posts