Volvo XC40 Forum banner

221 - 240 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sounds like I need to have a friendly chat with my dealer about providing updates. Of course I ordered with Heat Pump given colder weather here in New Jersey.

Any chance you can post the note? If possible add it to the delay thread already started.
Same here, ordered with heat pump as well. I need my Dealer to provide some insights, there’s a difference between releasing the car as late as 1st week of April to few weeks later. Minimally provide a Loaner !

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
97 Posts
I don't know much, well actually less than that because of how Volvo communicates, but if this checks out -- so do I. I'll go buy a Mustang Mach E or something.
Hope you already have your L2 home charger - Ford pulled theirs due to issues and told everyone go find a 3rd party. No wonder ChargePoint has been having stock issues.
At least I am work from home - sold my car on March 11 been sharing with the husband.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Hope you already have your L2 home charger - Ford pulled theirs due to issues and told everyone go find a 3rd party. No wonder ChargePoint has been having stock issues.
At least I am work from home - sold my car on March 11 been sharing with the husband.
I'm supposed to be back in the office now (76 mile round trip commute) but have been staying home mostly due to one minivan with a wife and three kids to share. Fortunately, there are some wicked end-of-Q1 motivated folks out there right now... We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
97 Posts
I'm supposed to be back in the office now (76 mile round trip commute) but have been staying home mostly due to one minivan with a wife and three kids to share. Fortunately, there are some wicked end-of-Q1 motivated folks out there right now... We'll see what happens.
I'm 71 miles round trip commute here - and yeah depending on your Dealer they maybe willing to help. I know when I first vented to the dealer they asked if I was 'carless'. At that conversation I wasn't, now am. Shall see based on the new news on heat pump issue. Just waiting for an issue with the upgraded sound system. HA

·
Registered
47 Posts
This heat pump issue was well known to Volvo Canada at least as early as late February when they dropped the heat pump option from the XC40 Recharge P8 configurator. When I contacted my dealer about this, he informed me that the Heat Pump option was no longer available for order to customers in Canada because it had functional issues that had to be sorted out first. Consequently, I had to order my P8 without the heat pump option, a development that I considered to be almost a deal breaker, but my dealer convinced me (in a nice way) that it was not the end of the world and so I went ahead and ordered the car reluctantly. Now, I think perhaps I dodged a bullet!
Question is: if Volvo Canada knew about this issue then, why is Volvo USA talking about it now, at a time when it's a situation resulting in further delivery delays? As far as I know, Volvo USA and Canada are supposed to be the same operating entity in North America, as per the marketing conditions of each respective jurisdiction.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
97 Posts
This heat pump issue was well known to Volvo Canada at least as early as late February when they dropped the heat pump option from the XC40 Recharge P8 configurator. When I contacted my dealer about this, he informed me that the Heat Pump option was no longer available for order to customers in Canada because it had functional issues that had to be sorted out first. Consequently, I had to order my P8 without the heat pump option, a development that I considered to be almost a deal breaker, but my dealer convinced me (in a nice way) that it was not the end of the world and so I went ahead and ordered the car reluctantly. Now, I think perhaps I dodged a bullet!
Question is: if Volvo Canada knew about this issue then, why is Volvo USA talking about it now, at a time when it's a situation resulting in further delivery delays? As far as I know, Volvo USA and Canada are supposed to be the same operating entity in North America, as per the marketing conditions of each respective jurisdiction.
Very interesting. CA configurator only has 2 options (Lava carpet & Harman Kardon sound) while US still has Heat Pump plus the style accessories.
Does it have to do with truly cold temperatures that most US consumers won't hit? At least something to bring up with the dealer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Very interesting. CA configurator only has 2 options (Lava carpet & Harman Kardon sound) while US still has Heat Pump plus the style accessories.
Does it have to do with truly cold temperatures that most US consumers won't hit? At least something to bring up with the dealer.
The Heat Pump option (hugely desirable in Canada's cold climes) was configurable on the Canadian site originally a few months back.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yes, that's the logic the dealer used to convince us to not worry about the unavailable heat pump option, and my wife who is quite knowledgeable on such things, agreed :).

·
Registered
34 Posts
My Volvo has the heat pump. No issues. Today it was almost 80 degree and the AC worked to cool the interior to 66 degrees without a problem.

So far,other than the lack of the app and Sirius, the car has been flawless.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Maybe they are lying to us (again). It is hard to trust Volvo management. The original holdup almost certainly had less to do with the app and more to do with the propulsion issue. I guess I shouldn't expect truth anymore. It also would have been nice for them to contact the customers directly with an update rather than doing it secretly and even keeping the dealers in the dark. They have all our e mail addresses.
I remain disappointed with this company. I sincerely hope the car actually works when I get it. I am becoming less confident in that. I wonder if Volvo realizes that there is a thing called social media??

·
Registered
67 Posts
Was anyone able to negotiate a sale price less than the MSRP? Are dealers charing the doc prep fee?
Doubt it - my Dealer was charging me a good $1500 above MSRP but given my recent reasonings of him being dishonest about something else simply to make a sale I’m getting my refund back. Going with another Dealer to build the spec I want which means will probably have to wait another few more months. But figured by then certain software updates would be done

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
97 Posts
Doubt it - my Dealer was charging me a good $1500 above MSRP but given my recent reasonings of him being dishonest about something else simply to make a sale I’m getting my refund back. Going with another Dealer to build the spec I want which means will probably have to wait another few more months. But figured by then certain software updates would be done
You’ll probably find a lot of pre orders not being claimed given these issues. Test drove e-tron and was impressed

·
Registered
67 Posts
Will be test driving Mar-e too ?
I have visual limitation so need to prioritize a commanding sitting position with good line of sights, and compact enough where I’m comfortable. My current (and previous) is Audi love them but the Etron was too huge for my comfort. Also the future Q4 Etron is supposedly on the Q5 chassis is somewhat still big for me. For those limitations of mine, P8 is a better suit for me. Otherwise I’d have stuck with Audi all the way !

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
97 Posts
Will be test driving Mar-e too ?
I have visual limitation so need to prioritize a commanding sitting position with good line of sights, and compact enough where I’m comfortable. My current (and previous) is Audi love them but the Etron was too huge for my comfort. Also the future Q4 Etron is supposedly on the Q5 chassis is somewhat still big for me. For those limitations of mine, P8 is a better suit for me. Otherwise I’d have stuck with Audi all the way !
I drove Mach-E first. Handles well just is Ford finish level. And center consule is weirdly lower than left arm test. And regenerative braking isn’t as jolty as Volvo which was odd. Took movement to come to stop. Total package (car / fit / price) Volvo is my favorite but Audi gave me something to seriously think about.
Audi lack of true 1 pedal / navigation maps not being cloud are pains but the dealer was willing to make price work. So have things to think about.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just had a nightmare experience at my dealer. The general manager emailed me that my car was there and being prepped and to come pick it up. That was about 10AM. I called back and asked to speak to her, but got shuffled to the sales manager. He said it wouldn't be ready until 4:00. I agreed to come in at 4:00, but told them my wife would not be able to come with me, either to drive back our existing car or sign anything due to her medical condition, but that I wanted her on title. I asked if she had to be there since I was paying cash. The manager said she didn't have to come in, that I could come in and do all the paperwork, pay, and they could deliver the car to my home. He said my wife could sign a form at delivery to get put on title. So I showed up at 4:00 and it turned out the car wasn't ready. It looked like they were just beginning to prep it. There was plastic all over everything, heavily taped and there was a guy inside doing a software upgrade.They said it would take at least an hour. I was irritated but that was no biggie since they were going to deliver it that evening, they had promised. I went inside to pay. The manager had given me a final price via email and it was the fair, proper price. When I sat down with the salesman I was handed a form with that price, so no problem there. I agreed with the price, signed the price sheet, and pulled out my checkbook. He told me not to make out the check yet.

This is the same salesman who had let me take a test drive in a demo. At that time he had taken my driver's license and insurance info and knew I was scheduled to pick up my pre-order car in a few weeks. I'd also told him I'd be paying cash and he said that was fine. Today it was obvious he hadn't remembered or taken note on any of that, nor had he talked to the sales manager, apparently. They'd had weeks to do a credit check if they'd wanted one. So today at 4:00 he told me if my wife was going to be on title she had to be present. I got highly peeved and told him the sales manager had assured me just the opposite. I started to get up and leave since she wasn't there. The salesman hustled in to the manager and then they had to confer with yet another manager, the credit manager. This took what seemed like forever and they finally decided they could do just what the sales manager had told me. I had my wife's driver's license with me, so they took that and mine, and the insurance info, copied them and said they wouldn't need to do a credit check since I was paying cash, but still needed me to fill in their credit form. I did. It requested a whole lot of information they didn't really need if they weren't really doing a credit check, but I filled it all in. I'd been there 45 minutes by this time. When I'd finished, the salesman then told me that I still couldn't pay because the credit manager was with another customer and would be for another hour, but I was "up next."

I wasn't about to sit around for another hour, and then probably another hour after that while the credit manager did whatever she was to do, which was obviously running a credit check and probably trying to talk me into buying on crdit or taking a lease instead. I have outstanding credit and don't mind that considering the size of the check, but I don't like being lied to just to keep me there and upsold and don't like being lied to about the need for my wife or having the car ready for me. I felt like cussing a blue streak, but just grabbed my stuff and started out the door. The salesman ran after me calling "but it'll be ready by six". I yelled back "I won't be here. I have two weeks to cancel" and walked out.

At 6:45pm I got a call from the salesman who said the car was ready and all I had to do was come in and sign the papers. I let it go to voice mail. He asked for a call back, but I'm going to let them stew for a few days. I may even cancel the order. They're obviously either dishonest or incompetent or both. After a year and half of waiting I may have to start all over.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Oh my goodness what a terrible customer experience!! Looks like a number of the staff have forgotten how the dealership gets the money to pay the employees. The delivery experience is supposed to be the best part of the whole buying process. The only way to deal with it from now on is to communicate and deal only with the owner of the dealership - explain what happened and have the owner take you through the entire delivery process - if the owner does not want to make it right it might be time to walk away.

221 - 240 of 269 Posts