Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Exploring the XC40 Recharge with heat pump and curious to know real world numbers on city and highway range in winter and summer months. Search the forums and youtube and couldnt find examples where the heat pump was an option the person had.

·
Registered
76 Posts
There’s a thread on here with range examples, most have heat pumps. Expect around 36-38 kwh/100mi combined driving, give yourself 180 miles for highway at 90% charge, maybe 220 for city (but that’s a lot of city driving). If it’s real cold that 180 goes down to 160.

The real range limitation is long interstate driving. I used to worry about it a lot until I did a road trip and realized there’s nothing to fret over.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
This You Tube video comparing battery usage of just the heating with 2 Tesla’s one with heat pump, one without. The difference was like 7% more battery used to run the non-heat pump heating.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I own a XC40 Pure Electric with a heat pump since April. I would like to know how you can see/check that your car has such a heat pump installed. Is there a information or sticker somewhere or can you only see it on your dealer’s receipt?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I have asked that question many times. There is as far as we know no way to tell if you actually have the heat pump.

Sure the paper work for the sticker should say you have it and it is illegal to not deliver what plthr paper says but did it really happen?

The range difference is probably not going to be night and day either and in fact no where even states any numbers in association with it. Just a it will help …

I recon it was $350. Hopefully it helps. Hopefully I got it. Either way I have spent too much time caring about it so I just let it go (trying to).

Now i just need my number plates as the dealer ones expire Friday!!!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Hi! I own a XC40 Pure Electric with a heat pump since April. I would like to know how you can see/check that your car has such a heat pump installed. Is there a information or sticker somewhere or can you only see it on your dealer’s receipt?
The heat pump is an option and if installed will be on the sticker. I believe it is a $350 option here in the US. I am in ATL and virtual every car I have seen I. The Southeast has the heat pump. The only cars I saw without them were in south Florida. I was looking at almost all,cars in the southeast when I was searching for my car. I saw a few around here, but those were also missing climate and or advanced packages, likely to keep the car as close to base price as possible.

·
Registered
609 Posts
There’s a thread on here with range examples, most have heat pumps. Expect around 36-38 kwh/100mi combined driving, give yourself 180 miles for highway at 90% charge, maybe 220 for city (but that’s a lot of city driving). If it’s real cold that 180 goes down to 160.

The real range limitation is long interstate driving. I used to worry about it a lot until I did a road trip and realized there’s nothing to fret over.
Likewise to when it's real HOT outside like in DFW last week (>100F) , it's down to 160-ish

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
That is why I think they need a status screen that shows where the energy is going, how much is going to driving, HVAC, electronics.

Reactions: sbixby

·
Registered
609 Posts
That is why I think they need a status screen that shows where the energy is going, how much is going to driving, HVAC, electronics.
Interesting finding: Last week with >100F outside, I had pre-cooled the Car for the full 30 minutes to see how much charge is was taking....the answer.... 1% I need to try it several times to triple confirm or just for the heck of it !

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I have wanted more data since we got the car. Graphs showing where the power is going. Inefficiencies in my driving etc.

I bet the problem is that the powers that be do not want to expose that lvl of the system as they would then have to field questions and complaints.

Tesla seems to like promoting its data heads. Volvo is more like the controlling parent that is sure it knows best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts