Volvo XC40 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
39 Posts
kevinxb, can you post the reddit link here? I just ran into charging problems for the first time. Details below as reference for other users:

Had car since May 11. Suddenly I can't change charging amps limit, realized when I tried to charge at a Chargepoint station and got "reconnect error" on dashboard. Used the station before a handful of times with no problems until today. Got the car to charge at home, but can't change the charging amp limit. It's greyed out, so i can't change it. For some reason it's set to 6amps, never set it there before. Car is charging at home at a 10amp rate though, which was last setting. I unplugged, not willing to charge until amp discrepancy/limit resset issue is cleared. Will update as things change.
https://www.reddit.com/r/XC40/comments/pz64qt

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
That is fixable by the walk away and return with a different key trick. Make sure the original key is out of range. It can happen if you change the charge limit to be less than the charge you have.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
39 Posts
Just wanted to post an update on my charging issues. I went to my dealer Friday afternoon. They hooked the car up to the level 2 charger in their service bay and it started charging then stopped, resumed and stopped again. It repeated this a few times. The service manager then had me return to the waiting area. He came in a few minutes later and supposedly they checked and it was up to date on software. He showed me some diagnostic printout he was going to send to Volvo and call me back when he hears something this week.

My public charging experience was varied. Before going to the dealer, I stopped at an Electrify America station and was able to use a DC fast charger with no issues. Later that afternoon I tried another Volta charger and had the same issue where it would stop charging after 30 seconds and not resume. Finally, I tried a different Volta charger at another location. This one had a tag on the plug that said to check in first on the Volta app. I tried to do so and the check in failed in the app, but when I plugged the car in, it started charging and kept charging until I left over an hour later. I got about 10% charge from it.

I'm very confused by all of this considering home charging with the Volvo cable is largely error free. I sometimes notice the brick click off and on in the first few minutes and charging will briefly stop, but it always restarts within a few seconds. My Chargepoint Flex is being delivered today. It should be interesting to see how the car cooperates with that.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Just wanted to post an update on my charging issues. I went to my dealer Friday afternoon. They hooked the car up to the level 2 charger in their service bay and it started charging then stopped, resumed and stopped again. It repeated this a few times. The service manager then had me return to the waiting area. He came in a few minutes later and supposedly they checked and it was up to date on software. He showed me some diagnostic printout he was going to send to Volvo and call me back when he hears something this week.

My public charging experience was varied. Before going to the dealer, I stopped at an Electrify America station and was able to use a DC fast charger with no issues. Later that afternoon I tried another Volta charger and had the same issue where it would stop charging after 30 seconds and not resume. Finally, I tried a different Volta charger at another location. This one had a tag on the plug that said to check in first on the Volta app. I tried to do so and the check in failed in the app, but when I plugged the car in, it started charging and kept charging until I left over an hour later. I got about 10% charge from it.

I'm very confused by all of this considering home charging with the Volvo cable is largely error free. I sometimes notice the brick click off and on in the first few minutes and charging will briefly stop, but it always restarts within a few seconds. My Chargepoint Flex is being delivered today. It should be interesting to see how the car cooperates with that.
Did you check on comments on the charge station on PlugShare? Some chargers are not fully or even sometimes at all functional.

It is also a good place to leave a comment or charge station status.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
39 Posts
Yes. I've been to 6 different public stations now and had my car not charge. None of them had recent check ins saying they weren't working. At one of them that didn't work on my car, another driver with a Recharge was able to connect and charge fine. There is something wrong with my car and it's pulling teeth to get my dealer to fix it. I am taking it back tomorrow and to another dealer next week if they can't fix it. I've already called Volvo and they suggested trying a different dealer but said they would try contacting my current one to escalate the issue.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
39 Posts
Also, my Chargepoint Flex does the same thing as the Volvo charging cable. It starts charging, then the light will turn yellow and it stops, but the charging restarts a few seconds later. It will sometimes repeat this 2 or 3 times before charging consistently. I assume this is not normal.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Yes. I've been to 6 different public stations now and had my car not charge. None of them had recent check ins saying they weren't working. At one of them that didn't work on my car, another driver with a Recharge was able to connect and charge fine. There is something wrong with my car and it's pulling teeth to get my dealer to fix it. I am taking it back tomorrow and to another dealer next week if they can't fix it. I've already called Volvo and they suggested trying a different dealer but said they would try contacting my current one to escalate the issue.
**** my dealership sucks at selling but the service department rocks. Sorry yours is so aweful.

Good luck

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
39 Posts
An update on my charging issues:

Took my car to the dealer on Friday 10/8. They checked again for updates and applied 1.7 but didn't bother to test charging the car after updating. After I got home, I immediately plugged in and got a charging error message. I tried a few more times and got the same results so I took the car right back to the dealer. They gave me an ICE XC40 loaner.

After keeping the car all weekend, I got a message from the dealer that Volvo wants them to replace the on board charger and it's going to take almost 2 weeks to receive it from Sweden. Why it's coming from Sweden when the car is built in Belgium I don't know.

I never expected to have so many issues with this car. It's incredibly frustrating since I've only had it for a month. And to have issues with charging of all things.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts

Took my car to the dealer on Friday 10/8. They checked again for updates and applied 1.7 but didn't bother to test charging the car after updating. After I got home, I immediately plugged in and got a charging error message. I tried a few more times and got the same results so I took the car right back to the dealer. They gave me an ICE XC40 loaner.

After keeping the car all weekend, I got a message from the dealer that Volvo wants them to replace the on board charger and it's going to take almost 2 weeks to receive it from Sweden. Why it's coming from Sweden when the car is built in Belgium I don't know.

I never expected to have so many issues with this car. It's incredibly frustrating since I've only had it for a month. And to have issues with charging of all things.
If you have not spent $ on modifying your car (glass or paint comes to mind) you might want to try pushing to Volvo for a replacement car. Others have gotten a replacement. 1 from the boards got one. 1 has been offered one. Even if you do not go down that path might be worth starting that “discussion” with big Volvo sooner rather than later.

Obviously document everything. Take videos and photos. Record the data.

Good luck on getting it fixed or replaced. Yay for getting a loaner! Nice to know that still happens. Sorry your having to drive an ice … just not the same any more.

Reactions: Ces

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
39 Posts
Thanks. I've been in touch with Volvo USA and they have been working with the dealer to fix the charging issues. I will wait and see how the on board charger replacement goes. I am hoping they find a way to expedite getting it to the dealer. My service person says if they get it in the morning they can have my car back to me later that day. I'll post another update when something happens.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My level 2 charger is set up at maximum 40 amps, so it will not deliver any more than that for safety reasons. Even though I have the car set at 40 amps, I typically see 38 amps going in.

Level 3 chargers I do nothing. You get what you get. :)
I have mine set for 32 amps / 240 v which gives me 7kw which is the max the circuit is running off at home can take. Else where the max is 11kw which is the cars max, use this at the shopping centre freebies etc

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a level 2 charger at home and set my amps to 40. I have a 50 amp breaker with 6/3 wire so this is max. I have never charged on level 1 but would set at 12 amps if I did.
Level 1 chargers are self set to 12amps. If you were to plug your Volvo charger into a 120v outlet thats the limit it would set. The reason for this is the 80% rule set by the NEC. Basically a circuit cannot be held higher than 80% of the load rating longer than 3 hours. Most homes are 15-20amps depending on age. Our Hyundai level 1 charger does the same thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nope. Got an XC60 loaner today while they were fixing the USB ports & installing the trailer hitch.
Sorry for the off topic- did you purchase the trailer hitch as an add-on from the dealership? Seriously considering doing this. The pop-down hitch would be awesome but wasn't included in the build we settled on. Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
156 Posts
As far as I know, the nifty flip-out trailer hitch is not available in the US market. Probably not approved.
Mine was even optioned from the factory and it still came with the welded fixed-in-place 2" towbar.

Font Parallel Screenshot Circle Number

·
Registered
2021 Glacier Silver XC40 Recharge P8
126 Posts
Sorry for the off topic- did you purchase the trailer hitch as an add-on from the dealership? Seriously considering doing this. The pop-down hitch would be awesome but wasn't included in the build we settled on. Thanks!
I understand (from another forum thread) that this hitch will work.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts

Any update? Did you leave the card with dealer? I would leave at dealer and get a loaner. While it sucks to be without the car, everyday at the dealer counts toward a potential lemon law claim.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
39 Posts
Any update? Did you leave the card with dealer? I would leave at dealer and get a loaner. While it sucks to be without the car, everyday at the dealer counts toward a potential lemon law claim.
I left the car there on Friday October 8th. I was waiting when the service department opened. The update I received today was that they don't expect to receive the replacement onboard charger until early NEXT week. I was originally told 7 to 10 days but apparently it's business days. I've reached out to Volvo to request reimbursement of my October lease payment at minimum. I'll have to look at the Maryland lemon law requirements. I wanted an EV because they're supposed to be more reliable, but this has been a terrible experience so far.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I left the car there on Friday October 8th. I was waiting when the service department opened. The update I received today was that they don't expect to receive the replacement onboard charger until early NEXT week. I was originally told 7 to 10 business days but apparently it's business days. I've reached out to Volvo to request reimbursement of my October lease payment at minimum. I'll have to look at the Maryland lemon law requirements. I wanted at WV because they're supposed to be more reliable, but this has been a terrible experience so far.
What part of country are you in? Make sure the dealer has their regional rep involved. My rep comped me 2 monthly payments and offered to swap the car. I will give Volvo credit, they seem more customer service oriented than any other brand I have dealt with.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
39 Posts
What part of country are you in? Make sure the dealer has their regional rep involved. My rep comped me 2 monthly payments and offered to swap the car. I will give Volvo credit, they seem more customer service oriented than any other brand I have dealt with.
DC Metro area. Who involved the regional rep, the dealer or Volvo USA? How long did you have the car before they offered to swap it?

I just got mine in early September. I found out during the buying process that it was swapped from a dealer in Virginia, I wonder if the original dealer was aware of the charging issues and wanted it out of their inventory.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
DC Metro area. Who involved the regional rep, the dealer or Volvo USA? How long did you have the car before they offered to swap it?

I just got mine in early September. I found out during the buying process that it was swapped from a dealer in Virginia, I wonder if the original dealer was aware of the charging issues and wanted it out of their inventory.
The dealer did,but when you open a case with Volvo they are supposed to notify the regional rep if you make enough noise. I have been a very squeaky wheel with Volvo.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts