Volvo XC40 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
LowCo2,

Sorry to hear about your charging problems. I just bought a 2022 recharge yesterday and already had a connection problem at a public chargepoint box. I think in my case the problem is with that box because charging at home is working fine. I'm very curious to see how your situation is going with the dealer, how long are the parts on back order?
They are selling 2022 models already? Are they different from the 2021 model I have ?

what problem did you have at the chargepoint box? I mainly charge at electrify America and EVgo. Alas no home charging.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
LowCo2,

Sorry to hear about your charging problems. I just bought a 2022 recharge yesterday and already had a connection problem at a public chargepoint box. I think in my case the problem is with that box because charging at home is working fine. I'm very curious to see how your situation is going with the dealer, how long are the parts on back order?

a 22 Recharge? Where, I have not seen them listed anywhere yet.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
They are selling 2022 models already? Are they different from the 2021 model I have ?

what problem did you have at the chargepoint box? I mainly charge at electrify America and EVgo. Alas no home charging.

I believe the 22 they just removed many "options" and moved to bundles, a base then the Ultimate like the C40. I expect some of the things they cheeped out on with the ICE 22 will be cheaped out on in the 22 P8.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hi DrSadly. My car is still in the shop (27 days and counting)… so far they replaced the Onboard handshake system. But have not tried it out side the service center yet. A new issue emerged, The OnCall button not functioning properly… once turned on, wont disconnect… Volvo techs working with the local dealership…so still working out some kinks (to put it kindly).. I think the Volvo charge system has issues that need to be fixed on connectivity… I’ve had several EVs and never had connection issues at public Stations… way to many issues being reported and hope they fix soon…

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Look on the bright side, you are likely 3 days away from forcing them to buy it back. Make them replace it with a 22.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Look on the bright side, you are likely 3 days away from forcing them to buy it back. Make them replace it with a 22.
Good point… are they obligated to buy back after a certain time in shop ( note, i only had this car for 5 days before it went into the shop).

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Good point… are they obligated to buy back after a certain time in shop ( note, i only had this car for 5 days before it went into the shop).
You need to verify what your state's lemon law states. My guess is you call Volvo customer relations and make them aware of your intent as well as the dealer they may do the right thing. I believe there are 2 people on this forum that have had dealers swap out cars already. Have you documentation and evidence in order and maybe contact a lemon law attorney.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I got it at Don Beyer Volvo in Dulles Virginia. The '22 is only slightly different. So the charging issue was just that public charger, I haven't had problems since that day.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
39 Posts
I'm having charging issues as well, but only at public stations. The car charges fine at home with the Volvo charging cable. At two different Volta chargers, the car will start to charge for less than a minute then the charging light turns yellow and charging stops. At an EVgo charger, the light stayed green and the car and station both showed charging but after I returned in 30 minutes, the car had actually lost 1% at a DC fast charger.

What does everyone have the max amps set to in the vehicle?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
You don’t set max amps at public level 3 chargers.

Try an electrify America.

Odd about the EVgo. I use them a lot. How much energy did the EVgo screen say it had transferred?

The decrease in 1% is not actually a decrease in 1% but probably a decrease in 0.001% or the like. Rounding errors ftw

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
39 Posts
I meant the max amps in the car. I have it set at 48.

The EVgo charger transferred nothing. It didn't charge me anything either.

I've only been able to use one public charger so far.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
The max Amps in the car has no meaning at level 3 chargers. That’s for your home charger as far as I know. But I do not charge at home.

Reactions: Ces

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Never seen a level 1 public charger.

Not 100% sure about the level 2.
Basically the setting is to protect the giver from blowing the circuit which the giver should also have protection / circularly for (this is as far as I know. Others know more about level 1 and 2) I think leaving it set to max is fine for most situations.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a level 2 charger at home and set my amps to 40. I have a 50 amp breaker with 6/3 wire so this is max. I have never charged on level 1 but would set at 12 amps if I did.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
If you set amps to max what happens with your setups?

·
Registered
60 Posts
My level 2 charger is set up at maximum 40 amps, so it will not deliver any more than that for safety reasons. Even though I have the car set at 40 amps, I typically see 38 amps going in.

Level 3 chargers I do nothing. You get what you get. :)

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
39 Posts
I posted about my charging issue on reddit and was told there was an update to fix communication issues between the car and the charging station but it must be done by the dealer and not OTA. I'm going to take my car there and see if they can do it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I posted about my charging issue on reddit and was told there was an update to fix communication issues between the car and the charging station but it must be done by the dealer and not OTA. I'm going to take my car there and see if they can do it.
kevinxb, can you post the reddit link here? I just ran into charging problems for the first time. Details below as reference for other users:

Had car since May 11. Suddenly I can't change charging amps limit, realized when I tried to charge at a Chargepoint station and got "reconnect error" on dashboard. Used the station before a handful of times with no problems until today. Got the car to charge at home, but can't change the charging amp limit. It's greyed out, so i can't change it. For some reason it's set to 6amps, never set it there before. Car is charging at home at a 10amp rate though, which was last setting. I unplugged, not willing to charge until amp discrepancy/limit resset issue is cleared. Will update as things change.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts