Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove 2 different XC40 Recharge vehicles, as well as an ICE version as a loaner last week. I noticed in the 2 demo Recharge vehicles and in my own, the trash can lid did not spring back up into a closed position, but did on the ICE version. It seems that when the console lid is locked down, it interferes with the operation of the trash can lid. I ”solved” that issue by adding small adhesive bumpers to the left/right sides under the console lid so that while the lid does not lock, the bumpers raise the lid just enough to allow the trash can lid to close. Unobstruced. I used the round flat rubber bumpers you would use on kitchen cabinet doors, and I doubled up (one on top of the other on each side) to provide the right clearance. The console lid angle change isn’t noticeable. McGyver 101! (Yes, a post about the trash can lid, but those kind of things drive me crazy - having to open the console lid slightly just to close the trash can lid seems silly, so the bumper solved the problem. Follow me for solutions to things that probably don’t bother most people! A little OCD? Yeah…you should hear me rant when people post photos of their TV/stereo set ups - man, I hate seeing wires.)

·
Registered
83 Posts
The trash can lid in my P8 works properly. I've removed the can and lid a few times to empty the can, and always make sure to get the lid back on properly, and have had no issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've encountered the problem you described. Least in my case, the trash can as a whole was not seated properly in it's slot. So try removing the rubber bumpers and re-seating it. Note that there is a small lip in the center console that the bin has to clear.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 Recharge
50 Posts
I just removed it completely as my big hands always get caught in the opening. Creates a nice amount of space in the center console.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts