Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 months in with recharge, loving it so far. Driven about 1800 miles and enjoying the Google infotainment.

At 90% charge the range estimate shows up only 150 miles. I live in Northeast US, and the outside temperature is about 35 F.

The software version I have is 1.8.

· Registered
598 Posts
Northeast guy also. (NH and ME)
Once I get my C40, I plan to drive 165 miles from NH to ME each weekend year-round. (330 miles round trip)
Looking at using Electrify America CCS 350kw fast charging stations in Scarborough, ME and Seabrook, NH.

· Registered
549 Posts
Curios what happens as temps get lower in ATL, so far even in 50s car is on track for 190 miles on 90%.
From past BEV experience, it seems like around 35-40F is the real turning point. Above 40F and the temp doesn’t have as negative an impact (like you said, 10-20 miles maybe). But once you get closer to and then just below freezing, it gets really ugly. In 20-30F temps I’ve seen 25% drops in range, or more.

· Registered
4,154 Posts
About 2 months in with recharge, loving it so far. Driven about 1800 miles and enjoying the Google infotainment.

At 90% charge the range estimate shows up only 150 miles. I live in Northeast US, and the outside temperature is about 35 F.

How is your driving style
What does the range app say about your driving style
Is this high way or urban driving
If high way how fast
If urban are you a demon off the lights
Do you use heaters. What setting/temp.
How often do you use heaters.

Temperature is a large factor but so are many other things.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How is your driving style
What does the range app say about your driving style
Is this high way or urban driving
If high way how fast
If urban are you a demon off the lights
Do you use heaters. What setting/temp.
How often do you use heaters.

Temperature is a large factor but so are many other things.
Thank you for the response. The driving so far is mixed, both urban and highway.

I drove about 300 highway miles this past weekend to check some of the points you have listed.

My first observation if I stick to 65 to 70 miles speed limit the consumption stays at 47kwh range. This seems to give best range in cold weather. The climate control was set to 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

Any thing above 70 miles noticed consumption increases above 50Kwh.

I usually drive above 70 miles speed I guess I have to change my driving patterns for good.

· Registered
4,154 Posts
Thank you for the response. The driving so far is mixed, both urban and highway.

I drove about 300 highway miles this past weekend to check some of the points you have listed.

My first observation if I stick to 65 to 70 miles speed limit the consumption stays at 47kwh range. This seems to give best range in cold weather. The climate control was set to 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

Any thing above 70 miles noticed consumption increases above 50Kwh.

I usually drive above 70 miles speed I guess I have to change my driving patterns for good.
For range you can use the seat warmer and steering wheel warmer vs climate control. You should see a good drop in power usage.

And as you said faster is a lot less efficient.

ABRP likes 55 mph when it is being tight on range. Also adaptive cruise control helps lower energy usage.

I occasionally do try and be energy efficient but if I have the range to the next fast charger all bets are off :) using more does not increase charging times by much as it increases the charging time in the fast range. When the car is sucking down at 143kW it charges really fast.

Enjoy :)

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For range you can use the seat warmer and steering wheel warmer vs climate control. You should see a good drop in power usage.

And as you said faster is a lot less efficient.

ABRP likes 55 mph when it is being tight on range. Also adaptive cruise control helps lower energy usage.

I occasionally do try and be energy efficient but if I have the range to the next fast charger all bets are off :) using more does not increase charging times by much as it increases the charging time in the fast range. When the car is sucking down at 143kW it charges really fast.

Enjoy :)
Thank you, the seat warmer vs climate control is a great input. Will try that out.

· Registered
2021 XC40 P8 20", Heat Pump.
86 Posts

I'm in Maine, so similar temps right now. I am currently seeing 160 to 170 at 90%. But I don't do a ton of highway miles. If you have a home charger, make sure you precondition before you unplug, that helps a lot. Be sure to give it about 20-30 mins of preconditioning to really get warmed up and settled.

Reactions: BuzzyBud

· Registered
258 Posts
Here in the Bay Area (California) at 90% charge the range estimate shows 190 miles or so. The temperatures here aren't too bad - 40s overnight, 60s during the day. I don't drive much on the freeway, so moderate speed plays a role, but I do use climate control and play music. Sometimes I use seat warmer instead of climate control, but range isn't an issue since I charge up at home whenever I want.

· Registered
2 Posts
Nice to see some other Mainers here - yes this cold temp has increased consumption - My communte this summer used about 10% of my battery - now it uses 12-13% (21 Miles) All highway, 70-75mph

I have not compared commute to work - With preconditioning in am vs cold battery on the way home.
(I will next week!)

· Registered
4,154 Posts
Nice to see some other Mainers here - yes this cold temp has increased consumption - My communte this summer used about 10% of my battery - now it uses 12-13% (21 Miles) All highway, 70-75mph

I have not compared commute to work - With preconditioning in am vs cold battery on the way home.
(I will next week!)
Is that with dry roads? Wet or slushy should also increase consumption.

· Registered
7 Posts

I too live in the NE and also have a 150 range estimate in the same weather conditions. However, my charge is at 80% when it returns those estimates, not 90% as you claim yours is. Perhaps your driving style or speed is negatively impacting your estimate?

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I too live in the NE and also have a 150 range estimate in the same weather conditions. However, my charge is at 80% when it returns those estimates, not 90% as you claim yours is. Perhaps your driving style or speed is negatively impacting your estimate?
I guess the driving style makes a huge difference, I changed from 80miles to 65 or 70 miles (feels like a sloth) and does lower consumption and increases total miles.

· Registered
4,154 Posts
I guess the driving style makes a huge difference, I changed from 80miles to 65 or 70 miles (feels like a sloth) and does lower consumption and increases total miles.
And no where near as much fun :) if you don’t need the range enjoy the swoosh :)

· Registered
77 Posts
I'm in Maine, so similar temps right now. I am currently seeing 160 to 170 at 90%. But I don't do a ton of highway miles. If you have a home charger, make sure you precondition before you unplug, that helps a lot. Be sure to give it about 20-30 mins of preconditioning to really get warmed up and settled.
Probably a stupid question, but how do you precondition the battery?? I usually pull in the garage and plug right in..

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.