1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a few questions about charging the XC40 P8 electric that I have ordered

• What charger did you buy for at home?
  • Do I need an intelligent charger or can I plan the charging time window (e.g. between 10pm and 6am) in the Volvo mobile app? This is important for me as I have cheaper electricity at certain hours of the the day.

Thanks for your help!
Henri

·
Registered
18 Posts
In the US, we got a chargepoint charger offer with our purchase of the car. It has an app that can schedule charging. I would think any charger with the standard plug with scheduling would work with your needs

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I went with WallBox, great value. The app allows me to select a charging schedule. The wifi is picky, see my posts about setting to use to get good wifi to the WallBox (similar for the P8 as well). I have been very happy with the WallBox. Check with your power company to see if they offer EVSE (charger) rebates and/or off hours rates of free power to charge off-peak on top of whatever your current rates are off peak. My power company gives me 400kWh per month free between 12am-6am so I charge 12:01 to 5:59am. In the almost 4 months I have had the car I have paid $1.98 in electricity. My power company tiers their rates as:

Peak 1pm-9pm
off peak 6am-1pm and 9pm-12am
super-off-peak as 12am-6am

Reactions: Henri

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
154 Posts
Reactions: Henri

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies. What a super forum :) I understand that if I want to schedule the charging, I will not be able to do it in the car or in the car app right now.
Those who schedule charging do it through the app of he charger.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
WallBox is based is based in Spain and has been in the European market for a while and recently came to the US. Their app is very "metric system" based so should be a good fit.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
For anyone reading who cannot charge at home you can get by charging out in the wild quiet well (public chargers). Had my P8 since May and I cannot charge at Home (condo wa).

Electrify America is my main supplier
Sometimes I use EVgo/chargepoint while shopping.

·
Registered
160 Posts
We also have the Wallbox unit and are quite happy with it. The Volvo-promotional ChargePoint Home Flex finally came yesterday, but I'm going to unload it on Ebay or Facebook marketplace or something.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Our utility has just rolled out a time-of-use rate plan. They've done it very very quietly (and were swearing up and down that there was no such thing coming as recently as a few weeks ago). They also don't publish the actual rates anywhere on their site (I had to dig around with in a filing with the state utility commission to actually get numbers). Weird.

Basically on their new scheme, I would pay 2x normal flat rate during peak hours of 2PM–6PM on weekdays, about 77% of normal rate during super off-peak of midnight to 6 AM, and about 89% of normal rate any other time. Seems like this would be a good time to get going with it, since we've basically turned the our two AC units off until next spring. Next summer I'll have to figure out how to keep the house from getting too hot during those 4 hours of peak time, but I'll figure that out then.

So I've set our Wallbox schedule up so that charging starts at 12:01 AM. I was going to cut it off by 6, but then figured that we might want to be able to pre-condition the car while it's still hooked up.

One thing that I wish the Wallbox had was a hardware button on the unit to override the timer. Like for instance, if we came home and wanted to get some charge into the battery before going somewhere else later in the evening, it'd be nice to just have a physical button to hit to start the charging rather than having to futz around in the app.

Reactions: SilverII and DeaneG

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Our utility has just rolled out a time-of-use rate plan. They've done it very very quietly (and were swearing up and down that there was no such thing coming as recently as a few weeks ago). They also don't publish the actual rates anywhere on their site (I had to dig around with in a filing with the state utility commission to actually get numbers). Weird.

Basically on their new scheme, I would pay 2x normal flat rate during peak hours of 2PM–6PM on weekdays, about 77% of normal rate during super off-peak of midnight to 6 AM, and about 89% of normal rate any other time. Seems like this would be a good time to get going with it, since we've basically turned the our two AC units off until next spring. Next summer I'll have to figure out how to keep the house from getting too hot during those 4 hours of peak time, but I'll figure that out then.

So I've set our Wallbox schedule up so that charging starts at 12:01 AM. I was going to cut it off by 6, but then figured that we might want to be able to pre-condition the car while it's still hooked up.

One thing that I wish the Wallbox had was a hardware button on the unit to override the timer. Like for instance, if we came home and wanted to get some charge into the battery before going somewhere else later in the evening, it'd be nice to just have a physical button to hit to start the charging rather than having to futz around in the app.

I believe there is a button on the app to charge to start charging regardless of schedule, but I could be wrong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts