Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're scheduled to buy a XC40 P8 in a few days.

We have a relatively new V60 CC that I loaded up with warranties for 10 years. I feel that I have a decent layman's understanding of what can go on with a car mechanically with an ICE car, and what that warranty should and won't do for me.

EVs are new territory for me, and I don't have a good grasp on what value comes with sprucing up the warranty coverage.

If anyone has thoughts on the topic, I'd appreciate hearing them. I know the XC40 P8 hasn't been on the road long enough for longterm data, but maybe folks here have had experience with other electrics. Does the coverage provided by either the Gold or Platinum VIP warranties encompass the things that are likely to need attention on this car over, say, an 8 year cycle?

(crossposted from swedespeed.com forums, in case you're having deja vu)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nothing specific to this car, it's too early days yet and any faults are being paid for by the manufacturer, but from owning other EVs, they're far more reliable, you've got fewer 'bits', less to go wrong, but the bits are bigger, and therefore the bills will also be. For the moment we also have very very few independent garages that can work on EVs, unlike ICE cars, so we're more reliant on the dealerships - this will hopefully change over time. I can't tell you whether to get a warranty or not though.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I opted to roll the dice and spend about $3700 on a 10 years/120k mile Volvo platinum warranty. Based on all the electronic weirdness we experienced by the second day, it seemed like it might not be a bad bet.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Are people buying them from the selling dealer or is the a national dealer that is offering very competitive prices?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are people buying them from the selling dealer or is the a national dealer that is offering very competitive prices?
Steingold Volvo in Rhode Island sells at highly competitive rates and gives an extra couple hundred dollars off with a discount code for swedespeed forum members.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 Recharge
50 Posts
The factory warranty for the HV system includes just about all of the (very expensive) HV components:

From the warranty book:
High Voltage Battery System The coverage under this warranty is for eight (8) years or 100,000 miles /160,000 kilometers, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s original in-service date.
The following are some items covered:
• Battery Energy Control Module (BECM)
• Combined Voltage & Temperature Node (CVTN)
• Battery Disconnect Unit (BDU)
• High Voltage Battery Module
• Electric Front Axle Drive (EFAD)
• Electric Rear Axle Drive (ERAD)

Other than HVAC and interior electronics (screens) components, most of the big expense stuff is already covered.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts