Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had this happen to them? I've had the car a little over a month. Initially the tablet was very slow and unresponsive. I took it to the dealership and got the 1.7 update which I guess they really should have just applied before I took the car. Anyway after that the infotainment tech was all running very well. I got the 1.8 update OTA as expected without issue. Then about 5 days after the update I got into the car and the network connection was failed. I tried many things after contacting Volvo support but nothing brought the connection back. Eventually I started linking the car to my bluetooth tether from my phone to get internet which is when I realize the GPS is also not working. The car went to the dealership today and they mentioned a recall for water getting into the antenna, but after changing that out my car is still not connecting. Not sure what's next they mentioned some kind of logging and opening a "tech ticket" with volvo corporate. Pretty disappointed to not have my car, and the dealership isn't exactly conveniently located. Anyway driving the S60 loaner they gave me makes me really appreciate just how premium the experience in my car is.

·
Registered
XC40 Recharge Twin
86 Posts
Has anyone else had this happen to them? I've had the car a little over a month. Initially the tablet was very slow and unresponsive. I took it to the dealership and got the 1.7 update which I guess they really should have just applied before I took the car. Anyway after that the infotainment tech was all running very well. I got the 1.8 update OTA as expected without issue. Then about 5 days after the update I got into the car and the network connection was failed. I tried many things after contacting Volvo support but nothing brought the connection back. Eventually I started linking the car to my bluetooth tether from my phone to get internet which is when I realize the GPS is also not working. The car went to the dealership today and they mentioned a recall for water getting into the antenna, but after changing that out my car is still not connecting. Not sure what's next they mentioned some kind of logging and opening a "tech ticket" with volvo corporate. Pretty disappointed to not have my car, and the dealership isn't exactly conveniently located. Anyway driving the S60 loaner they gave me makes me really appreciate just how premium the experience in my car is.
Had that for a few days now. Tried the TCAM (defrost) and IHU reboot (which normally resolves the problem apparently) multiple times to no avail. It's going to the dealer on Monday.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had that for a few days now. Tried the TCAM (defrost) and IHU reboot (which normally resolves the problem apparently) multiple times to no avail. It's going to the dealer on Monday.
Yes these were the things the volvo support via the app suggested that I do. No luck for me either :(

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
357 Posts
With 1.8 update you will be able to reset the module from the ICU. Tried today and worked.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This seems to have been a common issue recently. Mine went out for the first time about a week ago, and the outage lasted for about six days. Tried all the advertised ways of resetting. Then it magically came back, and I got the notification to install 1.8 shortly after. I think the issue is related to bugs in Volvo’s OTA update process.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
This seems to have been a common issue recently. Mine went out for the first time about a week ago, and the outage lasted for about six days. Tried all the advertised ways of resetting. Then it magically came back, and I got the notification to install 1.8 shortly after. I think the issue is related to bugs in Volvo’s OTA update process.
It seems that the ota exacerbated this issue but it has definitely been there since the beginning.

It often happens with a new car then never again.

It can be caused by
Software issues which can be either temporary and resettable or more permanent needing a service level reset.

Hardware issues

Battery issues

The dystem seems to have quite a few different points of failure. Amongst people with problems it is one of the more common ones. Is it a common problem? That remains alas unknown.

There are many threads on here about tcam issues. It does always seem fixable which is good news. Bad news is you might want to research / print out solutions to help your service department.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Reactions: Ces

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
388 Posts
We experience intermittent LTE/Mobile outages fairly regularly...it could be something different here in Australia related to the mobile provider or something? Who knows. It’s been great this week, but last Saturday it was mostly off (x on the signal strength bar) even when driving through downtown Melbourne where there would normally be full signal strength. I did try a re-set but not sure it made any difference. I complained via the app and Volvo Cars rep emailed me and said they contacted my dealer service rep and advised him that I could bring the car in for software update...and that dealer rep would contact me. That was Friday...we’ll see whether they contact me. I’m still on pre-V1.7...will be interesting to see if they update straight to latest software. May wait until after Xmas period unless dealer says bring in and we can wait while they update it.

·
Registered
XC40 Recharge Twin
86 Posts
We experience intermittent LTE/Mobile outages fairly regularly...it could be something different here in Australia related to the mobile provider or something? Who knows. It’s been great this week, but last Saturday it was mostly off (x on the signal strength bar) even when driving through downtown Melbourne where there would normally be full signal strength. I did try a re-set but not sure it made any difference. I complained via the app and Volvo Cars rep emailed me and said they contacted my dealer service rep and advised him that I could bring the car in for software update...and that dealer rep would contact me. That was Friday...we’ll see whether they contact me. I’m still on pre-V1.7...will be interesting to see if they update straight to latest software. May wait until after Xmas period unless dealer says bring in and we can wait while they update it.
It was pretty common for me to not have service at the start of a drive for less than 5 minutes, but it would normally come in after that. I'm going on four days now of no service - booked in for service Monday. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
265 Posts
It was pretty common for me to not have service at the start of a drive for less than 5 minutes, but it would normally come in after that. I'm going on four days now of no service - booked in for service Monday. We'll see what happens.
there was one thread on here somewhere where it was stated that the TCAM unit needed to be set to the market you are living in. maybe have your dealer check on that when you take it in.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
there was one thread on here somewhere where it was stated that the TCAM unit needed to be set to the market you are living in. maybe have your dealer check on that when you take it in.
Is there an explanation as to why the wrong market makes it work intermittently vs not work at all?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Not that I remember seeing. here is the thread:

·
Registered
XC40 Recharge Twin
86 Posts
So I had made the appointment to look at the lack of LTE...and then over the weekend it started working. Drove in for a conversation with them and in the end didn't have them look at it as it seems to be working fine. Intermittent electrical or software issues are terrible for troubleshooting unless you can look at a detailed log of what the car has been doing and apparently the dealer doesn't have that ability.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have to book mine in to be updated because I demanded a loan car as well it will be January, might wait till end of that month and push for 1.8 as well. Who knows they might even have their chargers turned on as well by then!!! Who would install fast chargers and forget to allow for power to them!!! When I last talked to Volvo australia all they said about OTA was they were looking at it. Let us know how you go. and merry Christmas

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Car is still at the dealer :(

Everyone just talking in dealer talk to me like I'm an idiot, but my intuition tells me they are not sure what to do. I can live with I don't knows and having to wait when there is a clear plan, but this sense of just getting smoke and mirrors is frustrating.

Also adding to the frustration they've had the car for 5 days (and counting) over 2 visits in just over a month of ownership.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Your not an idiot. They are alas car guys vs good software / computer support guys.

Did you collate the problems and solutions others have had with the cars communications.

It is good to be able to hand them a guide. Without it they will flounder :( (like a fish out of water).

Did you contact big Volvo? Get them involved. A few people on here are good at doing that. It seems it goes better if you have a Volvo representative encouraging the dealer not to be crap.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
388 Posts
I have to book mine in to be updated because I demanded a loan car as well it will be January, might wait till end of that month and push for 1.8 as well. Who knows they might even have their chargers turned on as well by then!!! Who would install fast chargers and forget to allow for power to them!!! When I last talked to Volvo australia all they said about OTA was they were looking at it. Let us know how you go. and merry Christmas
Thanks and Merry Christmas to you and everyone on here! I’ll let you know when/if we take the car in for the update and for them to look at the driver’s heated seat inoperative and a few minor cosmetic issues.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I guess they had to order a new TCAM module for my car. It's still stuck at the dealership for now. Losing hope I'll have it for our holiday road trip this weekend.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thanks and Merry Christmas to you and everyone on here! I’ll let you know when/if we take the car in for the update and for them to look at the driver’s heated seat inoperative and a few minor cosmetic issues.
Or in my case just wait till they get the OTA updates sorted out.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts