Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a post in one of the XC40 Facebook groups that shared that new specs and options are showing for the XC40 Recharge on the Netherlands and Belgium Volvo site (if not potentially others too). Here's a link to the Belgian configurator: https://www.volvocars.com/nl-be/build/xc40-electric

As someone had pointed out via some pre-release information shared on this site earlier, there does appear to be a boost to the range across all options, including a new Single Engine Extended Range model. For instance, the Twin Motor is showing an increase from 434km to 500km (I'm assuming that must be WLTP) -- the consumption dropped from a listed 20.6kWh/100km to 17.8kWh /100km. There are similar consumption/range changes for both the standard Single Engine and Extended Range variant. It was also noticed in the Facebook thread that the Single Engine changed from FWD to RWD.

There are also new Vapor Gray and Cloud Blue colors available.

Here's a snippet of the three options available with the new specs:

Product Rectangle Azure Font Screenshot

There's probably even more to uncover here, but certainly an interesting early look!

Original post I came across for credit, but it is a closed group so I wanted to share the information above here as well: Volvo C40 & XC40 Recharge | Facebook

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am weary of the new KMs stated. Countries seem to differ about what standard they use

It seems charging speed from DC has gone up from 150 to 200. Also all motors have top speeds of 180km/hr now (never understood why some were limited through software)

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
1,268 Posts
I saw a post somewhere saying the 2024 dual-motor version has axle disconnect on the front motor (Edit - I believe they said front motor) to improve efficiency when AWD isn't needed. If that's the case, the improvements in efficiency would not be available on our current-model cars as the axle disconnect is a hardware item, not software.

·
Registered
22 Posts
my consumption (2021 XC40 Recharge) is in the 20-21 kWh/100 km range. I wonder if the stated improvement could be incorporated into our existing vehicles.
No: my24 has different hardware: other electric motors, battery and different motor management. Twin engined cars will have a different set-up with a smaller Front motor and a stronger rear motor. The front motor is only set to work when power or traction is required, so the car just uses the rear motor when cruising. That is the big saver for the twin. The battery is slightly bigger and the charger unit is of a different design.
So unfortunately no roll back into existing cars…….

·
Registered
22 Posts
I saw a post somewhere saying the 2024 dual-motor version has axle disconnect on the front motor (Edit - I believe they said front motor) to improve efficiency when AWD isn't needed. If that's the case, the improvements in efficiency would not be available on our current-model cars as the axle disconnect is a hardware item, not software.
Correct, the front drive is disconnected but not through hardware but by a controller. But your conclusion is right: it can not be retrofitted to our existing cars.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Correct, the front drive is disconnected but not through hardware but by a controller. But your conclusion is right: it can not be retrofitted to our existing cars.
Interesting. I assumed that it would be an electro-mechanical axle disconnect like some of the current AWD EVs. So maybe it's a different electric motor type in the front? Such as an asynchronous induction motor, when you cut power to it, there is no resistance (unlike the permanent magnet synchronous motors currently used in front and rear that have resistance when you cut power to it, so there's no true "coasting".) I'm just speculating. I had heard some of the Teslas had two different motor types in some of their cars. It will be interesting to see the full specifications when they are released!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Any idea when the MY24 will start production? I have a car on-order and wondering if there's a chance it'll get pushed the newer model year.
Depends on the specs: Twin and LR production starts towards the end of April 2023, but standard single not before November 2023. This is what Volvo in the Netherlands announced.

I too have thought about changing from 23 tot 24, but eventually decided not to. I ordered mine in May against the than valid price list but prices went up by 2000 euro since. MY24 adds another 1000 Euro plus the fact that the free 3 years full cover insurance I was offered in May will not apply to MY24. All in all the change would cost me an additional 6000 euros or thereabouts - I can’t justify that……

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
The specs posted seemed to indicate 82 kWh gross/79 kWh usable, so yep, I think you're right there!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts