Volvo XC40 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
98 Posts
  1. This thing is stupid fast. I am struggling to understand why there isn't an "economy" mode where you trade some of the acceleration for better range. Don't get me wrong, I live in Philadelphia, we have tons of suicide ramps, so I love it for those merges. However for longer drives I could lose 20% of my acceleration and still better faster than most cars.
Congrats! Just over in Jersey side of New Hope here. Excited to get my custom order soon. And agree on technology folks not having issues with settings and customizations.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Congrats! Just over in Jersey side of New Hope here. Excited to get my custom order soon. And agree on technology folks not having issues with settings and customizations.
I did learn one of the "gotchas" of EV early adoption on my first day: the only 50KWH charger in close proximity (under a mile) is currently being repaired. Which means a 20 minute drive to a NJ target is probably my best option, as they have new Electrify America 150KW chargers. I am going to have like 7 apps and 3 RFID cards to charge this sucker.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
98 Posts
I did learn one of the "gotchas" of EV early adoption on my first day: the only 50KWH charger in close proximity (under a mile) is currently being repaired. Which means a 20 minute drive to a NJ target is probably my best option, as they have new Electrify America 150KW chargers. I am going to have like 7 apps and 3 RFID cards to charge this sucker.
HA! Eventually they will all cross talk on a network but agreed. And due to limit public charging I’ve got the full 11kWH charger going in at home for L2 over night.

·
Registered
47 Posts
A Not so funny story, I still haven't sorted out how to change the speedometer from KM to Miles...
Sounds like cars are pre-set for use in Canada already as we use KM here!
Thanks for the nice feedback, and congratulations on getting your car!

·
Registered
34 Posts
The Volvo Cars Warranty for the battery is 8 years or 160,000km, whichever occurs first, provided that the car and battery are maintained and used in accordance with Volvo Cars' recommendations.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wireless charging pad question.

Just picked up our Recharge from the dealer today. When I put iPhone 12 on wireless charging pad, it cycles between starting the charge and then losing the connection. I've tried different spots on the pad with no luck. Seems like incompatibility between pad and iPhone.

Any better experiences out there?

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
98 Posts
Wireless charging pad question.

Just picked up our Recharge from the dealer today. When I put iPhone 12 on wireless charging pad, it cycles between starting the charge and then losing the connection. I've tried different spots on the pad with no luck. Seems like incompatibility between pad and iPhone.

Any better experiences out there?
My iPhone XS Max worked fine in the demo car at the dealer. Like most wireless charging there is a sweet spot. Usually cycling means iPhone isn’t happy with power source.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I figured it out through searching - the iPhone 12 has magnets on the back that the Volvo charger detects as foreign object. So, no dice for wireless charging for the 12...

·
Registered
78 Posts
I took delivery of my P8 yesterday and I'm already having problems. One of the big draws of the car was its sound system, only I can't find a way to play my music. I have all my music as mp3s or WMA files on a USB thumb drive. My USB drive has only a USB-A connector while the car requires only a C so I bought an adapter and plugged in the drive. I expected it to show up in with the apps, but it doesn't. Apparently those USB-C ports are only for charging. I can't find anything in the manual or in reviews about playing music from the USB. The dealer specifically told me I could play my music from a USB thumb drive. I tried installing Google Music, but that doesn't recognize it either. It may be possible to play from a phone, but I don't have my music on my phone and it wouldn't do me any good anyway because I usually don't take my phone with me in the car. My previous car (Leaf) has a regular USB port and plays music from my thumb drive. Does anyone know how I can play my music in the Volvo? This is major to me - it would be a deal killer if I hadn't already bought the car. There must be a way.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I took delivery of my P8 yesterday and I'm already having problems. One of the big draws of the car was its sound system, only I can't find a way to play my music. I have all my music as mp3s or WMA files on a USB thumb drive. My USB drive has only a USB-A connector while the car requires only a C so I bought an adapter and plugged in the drive. I expected it to show up in with the apps, but it doesn't. Apparently those USB-C ports are only for charging. I can't find anything in the manual or in reviews about playing music from the USB. The dealer specifically told me I could play my music from a USB thumb drive. I tried installing Google Music, but that doesn't recognize it either. It may be possible to play from a phone, but I don't have my music on my phone and it wouldn't do me any good anyway because I usually don't take my phone with me in the car. My previous car (Leaf) has a regular USB port and plays music from my thumb drive. Does anyone know how I can play my music in the Volvo? This is major to me - it would be a deal killer if I hadn't already bought the car. There must be a way.
I just watched the MikesCarInfo YouTube review of the XC40 Infotainment system, and he specifically says that you can plug in a USB device with music and it will show up on the app screen, but he doesn't demonstrate it. I suppose I might have a bad adapter or there is some incompatibility. I have a USB-C on my laptop, although my music wasn't there. I tested the adapter and thumb drive combo on the laptop and it recognizes the drive and plays the music just fine, so I don't think that's the problem. Can both the salesman and Mike the reviewer be wrong about that USB port? If anyone can confirm the ability to plug in a thumb drive and have car recognize it to play music, please post about it. Any help would be appreciated. I don't have a USB-C thumb drive because I don't have a -C port on my desktop computer, the one I normally use.

·
Registered
37 Posts
No usb sticks in Polestar/XC40. Streaming only.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I finally called Volvo Consumer Support and a woman there kept insisting that it was possible to play the music from the USB port and said I must have the USB drive formatted wrong. She said the owner's manual explains that it needs FAT 32 format and I may have my USB drive formatted wrong. I told her I couldn't find that reference in the owner's manual and she promiosed to send me a link via email within 5 minutes. 10 minutes later I got the email only this is what it said:

Thank you for contacting Volvo Car USA

We have looked into your request for information on playing music via the USB port in your vehicle. Unfortunately at this time vehicle cannot play music via the USB port, the only ways to play music from an outside source is from a blue tooth connected phone.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Med vänliga hälsningar!

Yours Sincerely,
Briana
Volvo Consumer Relations Center

So the support people don't even know anything about the car. I think she was looking in the wrong manual. She wouldn't even believe me that there were two Recharge models - the EV and the PHEV. She said there were only two XC40s, the gas version and the all-electric Recharge. I'm afraid we have a rocky six to twelve months with this car. So now I suppose I have to buy a bluetooth mp3 player. Does anyone have any recommendations for one? I've never used one. Do they all play WMA files? Can they run off current from the USB C port? Can I load my files in via a thumb drive or connect to a desktop computer?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Suggest you go browse the Polestar forum. There are a lot more geeks over there than here, many have had their car for a few months now, and they beat questions like this to a pulp looking for answers. It’s run by the same people as run this forum, so should be easy to navigate. The same android system in both cars, so it’s even more depressing to realize how slow Volvo/Polestar/Geely/Google have been at solving these multiple software issues since the P*2 has been on the street since last fall in Europe.

·
Registered
34 Posts
[/QUOTE]
The XC40 will not play via USB.
The ports are clearly labeled as charging ports.
FM stations are all locally tuned
AM stations are not available on the radio but can be streamed through the available apps, such as iheart radio.
WMA can be converted to MP3.

Google "how to turn your MP3 player to bluetooth."
Or, buy an MP3 bluetooth adapter.
Amazon Best Sellers: Best MP3 Player Bluetooth Transmitters

The streaming quality and sound on the radio is dependent on the quality of the music being played.

The audio system sounds great with the right input.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have figured out how to play the music from my phone through bluetooth and it sounds great in the car now. That still doesn't excuse Volvo from both their salespeople and their customer support telling the consumer that you can play through the USB ports. So did at least one reviewer who made a separate reviewer just on the infotainment system. However, it is not easy transferring files on and off the phone like it is with a USB stick, and I don't always bring my phone with me, so I'm still looking forward to USB functionality. If they don't include it in future updates, I will have to get an MP3 player.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Current owners: Heads up - there's a recall (#R10078) to fix a software issue that can potentially cause a loss of power to the wheels. When I was there, they let me know there's also a 2nd recall... something about fixing the back windshield wiper fluid. I have a ton of other issues with the car... but I'll write an update on that after this software fix... hoping many of them are fixed. :)

41 - 60 of 109 Posts