Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i was a owner of a BMW I3s for 3 years
for the last 5 months since my i3 when back i test drove all the ev i could test drive in ohio even rented a polster 2 from a company could you add drive modes on the recharge like Bmw i3
Ford MachE ,Kia Niro and Chev Bolt to name a few have .
To give use more option on 1.how the car responds 2.how much range we can get depending on torch and horsepower 3. 2 or 4 wheel drive modes maybe its all control through the computer sports mode all the power comfort less of everthing more range Eco need to make it to the charger i can deal with less power ect ect ?????
Thank Todd

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I am curious I here people talking about different modes but how is thins different than controlling the mode of the car with your right foot? I have an eco and sports mode as well as family low thrust mode.

The beauty of right foot modes is if you need to change it you can instantly. I find the accelerator on the P8 to be nicely tuned making it easy to do these modes.

So what am I missing? I assume eco mode would switch of one of the drive motors (I have had awd for 24 years and do not want to be without it).

I read that people often just stick it in a mode and forget. I know I would be a mode fidget for a few years :)

I am interested to hear what anyone would want / expect each mode to do. How it would effect the drive. Pros and Cons. I am a curious cat :) perhaps I am missing something amazing …

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
The car will let you change the steering and enable OPD with the instant torque of an EV what else do you need? There are no suspension parts that can be dynamically altered. I guess throttle tip in could be changed, and regen aggressiveness but remember this is a Volvo and not a German sports car. If Volvo were to focus on anything it would be getting the missing features done as well as stabilizing the darn OS. Put back in car centric display (I don't use it, but see the benefit) and get the bugs worked out. I do wish they would put auto hold in without the need for OPD.

·
Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
225 Posts
Put back in car centric display (I don't use it, but see the benefit)
I liked the car centric mode, but I’d like to see some upgrades to the car avatar. For example make the brakes lights mirror the vehicle’s brake lights; show open doors, charge door, trunk & frunk.

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
83 Posts
Hi i was a owner of a BMW I3s for 3 years
for the last 5 months since my i3 when back i test drove all the ev i could test drive in ohio even rented a polster 2 from a company could you add drive modes on the recharge like Bmw i3
Ford MachE ,Kia Niro and Chev Bolt to name a few have .
To give use more option on 1.how the car responds 2.how much range we can get depending on torch and horsepower 3. 2 or 4 wheel drive modes maybe its all control through the computer sports mode all the power comfort less of everthing more range Eco need to make it to the charger i can deal with less power ect ect ?????
Thank Todd
Not quite sure what you would like Volvo to do? If you looked at and tested the XC40 P8 EV model you know it has Forward-Neutral-Reverse-Park and no other options on moving the car. If I wanted more options like choosing 4 or 2 wheel drive, or Sport Mode vs Auto, etc. I would not buy the Volvo XC40P8!

·
Registered
170 Posts
First off to the OP holy run on sentence there batman. Punctuation really would help -- I had to read your post 3x times to fully understand WTF you were trying to say. With that said.... drive modes are a FARCE. If you learn to modulate your right foot, that is all the drive mode you need.

As others have noted, you can adjust the recuperation and the steering input in the menus. What the OP seems to be asking about are "silly purposeless" drive modes other cars put on you that make it so that the 0% to 100% input of the "go pedal" are not linear. This does help if you tend to be lead-footed and you need someone to babysit you so you don't drive as fast. But again, you can modulate how much energy you use just as easily. I'd rather not have the car keep me from getting maximum power output.

There are some cars that have heavier regenerative braking modes, which again the menus in the XC40 and PS2 already allow you to do, on this chassis. So having a "Sport" and non Sport mode is pointless. Any EV that offers such a feature is just "fluff" that isn't necessary and a waste of the driver's time.

·
Registered
XC40 P8 2021 - Sage Green
37 Posts
The beauty of right foot modes is if you need to change it you can instantly. I find the accelerator on the P8 to be nicely tuned making it easy to do these modes.
Fully agree. I am just adapting my driving style to the circumstances.

I used to drive an ICE BMW 320iX, switching to ECO mode only because this was the only way to use some sort of pseudo-regen braking. No such need with the XC40 P8.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Having Eco modes can definitely help with economy - it could be turning down the air con etc, but it dumbs down the throttle too - you think your right foot is good enough? Great, but what's wrong with making it easier? Don't you use cruise control?
Anyway, the XC40 doesn't have modes and you're not getting them in any updates either, I reckon. OPD on or off is about it. This, not showing you the range or any zany usage stats on screen etc. demonstrates that Volvo is trying to be minimal approach to the EV experience. I love all the stats and playing with modes and all but it's nice just getting in and driving and the car without worring about modes or obsessing about kW regenerated or how much the air con is using. Mostly thanks to the bigger battery but that just shows how far EVs have come (I had a Renault Zoe, 22kWh, and a Kia Soul EV, 30kWh before this - both had 'eco' mode and the Kia also had a 'D' and 'B' 'gear' with the B giving stronger regen and feeling towards what OPD does).

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
140 Posts
Actually it does have 3 modes, OPD off/on and Off Road is also selectable.

Off-road mode

Updated 2020-11-09

An adapted mode for low speeds that improves the vehicle's traction and handling in difficult terrain and on steep downhill gradients and poor roads.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I got to use off road mode off road and it’s nifty. It keeps the car moving (zero opd stop becomes 3mph) and re maps the the pedal so that x angular depression gives y/n acceleration ( n being a number greater than 1).

Looking forward to trying it in the winter to see if it actually makes a difference.

·
Registered
170 Posts
@takerhandy — Not really sure how making the pedal less responsive makes things easier. Maybe I’m just not old enough yet; I’m 45 yrs old and have good muscle control. I’d prefer to modulate my foot, so that when i need/want sudden accel/response I can have it. My Mini has “modes” and using an OBD2 dongle and app, I programmed it to ALWAYS start in Sport mode and never leave that mode. The car, by default, is in the most aggressive regen, which is more or less the same setup as the Volvo.

Yes, I use cruise control, but what does that have to do with anything? How fast you accelerate from a stop is far more hindering of your car’s range than whether you use cruise control or not. I have actually found I can get better MPG or WH/Mile using my own foot versus cruise control. I’ll allow the car to gain speed down a hill using gravity, and then allow the car to fall below the “cruise” speed going up the hill, to be more efficient. I maintain the same net speed as cruise, but my eyes follow the hills/elevation changes, more effective and efficient than any car. Cruise control is great for long flat roads, though. But freeway speeds kill efficiency. And cruise has no connection to “sport” or “eco” modes save for, as you said, the HVAC system. Even then, save for winter time, the benefits of Eco HVAC is minimal.

Batteries have come a long way. But plenty of car still have small batteries; though they are a bit more efficient these days. My 2021 Mini Cooper EV gets far better efficiency than any Tesla product I’ve owned, but it also has a tiny battery. Yet for its purpose is fine. While EVs account for just over 2% of new car sales (USA) — the fact is that most people dont choose between cars based on MPG or how many miles their fuel tank provides them. It’s more about comfort, tech, safety, etc —

·
Registered
XC40 P8 2021 - Sage Green
37 Posts
Yet for its purpose is fine. While EVs account for just over 2% of new car sales (USA) — the fact is that most people dont choose between cars based on MPG or how many miles their fuel tank provides them. It’s more about comfort, tech, safety, etc —
Exactly my point when people ask me why I did not opt for a Tesla Model 3...

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
As more charge stations come on line range will become less and less of an issue. Not sure what it is like in the “worst” states as I have only driven in Washington Oregon and California and they all have good and growing support.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
100 Posts
Yes. I wrote a blog post a couple weeks ago about my own experience, having driven 2300 km (about 1500 miles) from Switzerland to Southern France.
It is in French but here's the google-translated URL in English, should you want to read it: Summer Roadtrip with an Electric Volvo
Enjoyed reading your blog post and the Google Translate did a pretty good job! :)

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 20", Heat Pump.
45 Posts
One thing I do like about modes - in some cars it can regulate the aggressiveness on adaptive cruise control. In previous cars, Sport mode allowed the adaptive cruise to brake and accelerate aggressively, but in Eco mode, it was far more conservative. I use adaptive cruise almost all the time. It is a huge bonus in around town traffic here. In town I like it to be as aggressive as possible, on the highway I like it to be more calm. I love how Volvos adaptive cruise starts accelerating as soon as you start changing lanes on the highway, so smooth.

·
Registered
31 Posts
@takerhandy — Not really sure how making the pedal less responsive makes things easier. Maybe I’m just not old enough yet; I’m 45 yrs old and have good muscle control.
No matter how good your muscle control, making the top of the throttle longer, gives more control, and makes it harder to accelerate fast - helping economy. In one of the cars I had when out on the open road it was so slow I was often going full throttle to override it - this defeats the purpose of course, but there are savings to be had in town and in traffic. Saying no to Eco mode is like saying no to automatic gears, or cruise control, because you can change your own gears, or control your own speed. They're all tools for us to use. Using Eco doesn't mean it's on all the time, it's not black and white.

@takerhandy t. I have actually found I can get better MPG or WH/Mile using my own foot versus cruise control. I’ll allow the car to gain speed down a hill using gravity, and then allow the car to fall below the “cruise” speed going up the hill, to be more efficient.
Of course, you're able to anticipate what's ahead, cruise control can't.

·
Registered
170 Posts
@takerhandy you just contradicted yourself. You said I can anticipate what is ahead better than the car (meaning I should have FULL control of the power range without inhibitions from the car) yet at the same time said Eco mode is better. I’m not going to waste any further time arguing this. I’ve done testing with cars that had Eco mode doing the same stretches of road and seen +/- 1% margins in either direction, proving my point. That is all the data I need, so we can just agree to disagree. Cheers!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't think I did contradict myself, and indeed, if you're using cruise control, it would be out on the open road, whereas I've already stated that I find Eco more useful in town driving. What's the point in dumbing down the throttle when at a constant speed, or with CC on and not even using the pedal at all?! Anyway, it's a tool to be used if you want to, and ignored if you don't. This car, which doesn't have it, happens to have an excellently calibrated throttle pedal to enable smoth driving, especially when you consider the power contained in it!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts