Volvo XC40 Forum banner
121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Yeah, for me it is just my wife and I so I am not worried about someone touching the outlet, plus the ESVE plug fit is very snug, so not like someone if just accidentally pulling it out. When we get the second EV I will surely hardwire as I need to set up the power sharing then anyway.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have to assume that the builder who built our house (2019 in Clark County, NV) in a 150 home community installed my NEMA 14-50 to code. It's wire directly to a 50 amp breaker (nothing else on the circuit).

·
Registered
934 Posts
I have to assume that the builder who built our house (2019 in Clark County, NV) in a 150 home community installed my NEMA 14-50 to code. It's wire directly to a 50 amp breaker (nothing else on the circuit).

Your county is also still on 2017 National Electric code so you are good.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Makes me wonder now as newer homes are built and people have electricians install outlets what happens when they do plug-in EVSEs and breakers start tripping all the time.

Reactions: DeaneG

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am in Canada and I don't understand why anybody would not hardwire an EVSE. Seems a no brainer to hardwire a 50 amp breaker with 6/3 wire and get 40 amps continuous. I don't understand wiring the plugs. But maybe that is just me?!
Apologize in advance if I offended anyone.

·
Registered
71 Posts
We had the electrician come before we had the Chargepoint so it was our only choice. Honestly I rarely need all 50amps when charging, even dropping down to 30 would serve me 99.9% of the time since I’m only recharging at night.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I am in Canada and I don't understand why anybody would not hardwire an EVSE. Seems a no brainer to hardwire a 50 amp breaker with 6/3 wire and get 40 amps continuous. I don't understand wiring the plugs. But maybe that is just me?!
Apologize in advance if I offended anyone.
people don’t want to pay and electrician every time they swap out their EVSE. Newer electric stoves use the same 14-50 and you get the outlet once and done. Some people are handy with electricity and will do things themselves and moving to hardwire is not a big deal. I ran my own outlet, but still did an outlet untilI know which EVSE I will use. I bought a Wallbox and intended to move to the CharegPoint when it came in, but decided to keep the Wallbox because it works good and supports power sharing. Once I move to a second Wallbox I will hardwire both as that is the only option really. Short answer is outlets are convenient, although there is no standard to plug orientation so some EVSEs have the ground up and others have it down so rotating the outlet could become an issue for some.

Reactions: John M

·
Registered
2021 volvo xc40 recharge
16 Posts
Question? I literally just got my xc40 recharge an hour ago. Very excited but I'm ready for a learning curve. The dealer gave me no info on home charging. My neighbor has a tesla and he didn't install a charging station. He had an electrician put in a NEMA 1450 outlet and just plugs in. He thought there was very little difference in charging time between using this 220 outlet and a charging station. Thoughts?
Charging time most likely the same, charging station gives you the convenience of setting a schedule to maximize off peak hrs. Its a set it and forget it option; alexa can "talk" to mine, and if I'm not home, I can activate it remotely to maintain the optimal charge.

121 - 130 of 130 Posts