Volvo XC40 Forum banner
81 - 100 of 130 Posts
Discussion starter · #81 ·
@dtaylor89 - thank you for the detailed info, It has been super helpful! We are going to do a hardwired installation of the Chargepoint charger to an existing but unused 60a breaker. Am I correct in reading that if our plan is to hardwire, there is no difference in which model "plug" we get from Chargepoint? For hardwiring, the plug configuration is moot, correct?
Correct. But if you can get 14-50 it’s most common plug everyone is now putting in. So allows best flexibility moving forward.

I would not hardwire. I'd keep your flexibility and do the 14-50. Just my opinion. You will lose 10 amps of power capacity but it is really not that big of a loss in the bigger picture.
My state code requires GFCI breakers for all garage outlets, including NEMA 14-50 and NEMA 6-50 outlets. The electrician I will likely select to install our EVSE will ONLY hardwire. Here is their explanation:

Manufacturer’s Recommendations and Requirements
Most modern Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE), or EV chargers, have built-in GFCI protection. When the unit is hardwired, there is no need for a GFCI breaker. If the unit is installed with a plug with a GFCI breaker, there can and will be faulty trips. The sensitivity of the breaker is higher than the EV charger, and the power draw from an EV charger can trip the breaker. Most, if not all, EV Charger manufacturers (Tesla, ChargePoint, Bosch, Nel-x’s Juicebox, and more) state that the EV Chargers should not be installed onto circuits with GFCI protection.

I’ve read through this thread but it’s not clear whether the EVSE supplied with the vehicle (I.e., the mobile charger) comes with a NEMA 15-50 plug for L2 240V charging. My impression from reading the owner manual is that the supplied EVSE only has a NEMA 5-15P plug for L1 120V charging. I’m familiar with the. EVSE for the Mustang Mach e, and it’ s supplied with 2 plug adapters — a 5-15P for L1 charging and a 14-50P for L2 charging. So there is no need for a third party EVSE like the ChargePoint unit. I tried to lookup whether Volvo parts offers a dedicated 14-50P EVSE, but I couldn’t find the XC40 P8 on the website. I’ve got the 14-50 receptacle on a 50A circuit installed already.

I’ve read through this thread but it’s not clear whether the EVSE supplied with the vehicle (I.e., the mobile charger) comes with a NEMA 15-50 plug for L2 240V charging. My impression from reading the owner manual is that the supplied EVSE only has a NEMA 5-15P plug for L1 120V charging. I’m familiar with the. EVSE for the Mustang Mach e, and it’ s supplied with 2 plug adapters — a 5-15P for L1 charging and a 14-50P for L2 charging. So there is no need for a third party EVSE like the ChargePoint unit. I tried to lookup whether Volvo parts offers a dedicated 14-50P EVSE, but I couldn’t find the XC40 P8 on the website. I’ve got the 14-50 receptacle on a 50A circuit installed already.
It comes with both. 14-50P is included.

It comes with both. 14-50P is included.
I could have sworn I saw the charge cables available as accessories as well, which is presumably cheaper if you wanted to have a second that lives on your wall. Went looking for the link though and I can’t find it at all. I do suspect the dealer would sell you one, but as burak noted it comes with both outlets as detachable ends.

Some of you may already have a 240V outlet available but not in the 14-50P (four slot 50A) format that accepts the 4-prong plug with the Volvo cable. Mine was a 6-50P (three-slot 40A) outlet. There is no adaptor for this provided with the purchase, but there is an inexpensive adaptor for it that works fine. You need to set your charge speed in the car settings to 40A or below so as not to trip your circuit breaker, but the charge speed is good, just not quite the 48A the cable is rated for. Here's a link to the adaptor.
Westinghouse adaptor 6-50P to 14-50R

I could have sworn I saw the charge cables available as accessories as well, which is presumably cheaper if you wanted to have a second that lives on your wall. Went looking for the link though and I can’t find it at all. I do suspect the dealer would sell you one, but as burak noted it comes with both outlets as detachable ends.
I knew I wasn’t crazy! Here’s the listing for alternate cables if anyone is wondering about it.

OK, have my P8 a week, a little over 100 miles and getting around 3.0-3.1 mi/kWh. Ran the 14-50 line last week and did the outlet side, did the panel side today and what a pleasure to charge at more than 120V. The other day it too like 15 hours to charge less than 15% using 120. Used the Volvo evse today and from 71-90% is predicts ~2.5 hours. I have it capped at 36 amps right now. Since the time to get a ChargePoint is so long I have a Wallbox EVSE coming Tuesday. Once I get my free ChargePoint I will either sell one of them or may hold it for a while.

Curious to most of you plug the car in every day after use or every few days?

OK, have my P8 a week, a little over 100 miles and getting around 3.0-3.1 mi/kWh. Ran the 14-50 line last week and did the outlet side, did the panel side today and what a pleasure to charge at more than 120V. The other day it too like 15 hours to charge less than 15% using 120. Used the Volvo evse today and from 71-90% is predicts ~2.5 hours. I have it capped at 36 amps right now. Since the time to get a ChargePoint is so long I have a Wallbox EVSE coming Tuesday. Once I get my free ChargePoint I will either sell one of them or may hold it for a while.

For peace of mind, while making it a habit (like my phone), it’s plug in daily when settled in at home in the evening. Moreover, we pay fixed rate for electricity regardless of time of day so no rate difference there.

Every couple days, or when down near 50%. I’ve been successfully using the Tesla wall charger left in my garage by the previous owners, via a Lectron adapter cable.

Every couple days, or when down near 50%. I’ve been successfully using the Tesla wall charger left in my garage by the previous owners, via a Lectron adapter cable.
usually twice per week - wait till it gets down to 20-25% before charging back up to 90%.

Reactions: blitzswede
I just got a 240V dedicated line installed with a 50A breaker, it's plenty fast and I even asked the electrician if I need a Chargepoint since I can just plug direct, but he said he'd recommend getting one anyway. He's seen outlets get fried due to water, a cable plugged into the wall sitting on the floor, drawing 50As and water don't mix. Chargepoint charger has ground protection, but our breaker doesn't..so something to be aware of.

Make sure they put in an industrial NEMA 14-5 outlet, too many folks buy cheap outlets. I used the Hubbell and just the outlet was $75. There is a good Eaton one as well that is only about $50.

usually twice per week - wait till it gets down to 20-25% before charging back up to 90%.
This is good practice. For all of our daily urban driving, we charge the P8 to 90%, but not before the level dips below 80% and before it goes down to 20%. Currently, this seems to occur about twice a week. Since we're on a fixed rate (no TOU), I am able plug in and start the charge at any time - i.e. while the battery is still warm. For any rural trip of more than 100 km return, it gets the full 100% charge, which is as recommended by Volvo.

Yeah I am leaning toward as it approaches 50% and already set max level to 90%. Curious to see the range here in winter in Atlanta.

I just got a 240V dedicated line installed with a 50A breaker, it's plenty fast and I even asked the electrician if I need a Chargepoint since I can just plug direct, but he said he'd recommend getting one anyway. He's seen outlets get fried due to water, a cable plugged into the wall sitting on the floor, drawing 50As and water don't mix. Chargepoint charger has ground protection, but our breaker doesn't..so something to be aware of.
If I remember correctly, even if it’s 240v, 50 amps installed, the cable itself may not draw the max potential (must read the fine prints especially aftermarket brands because the output is different - good indicator is the price difference) and/or get too hot - I tend to keep my car at least 5 years, so for peace of mind, I went ahead and got the CP wall unit.
I have friends with Tsla who used the factory provided cable (installed the 240v and 50amps) but NO wall unit - they’re as happy as can be. I supposed the Volvo cable should be as good and the output allows you to draw max
I keep that cable on the car permanently for public use if needed.

If I remember correctly, even if it’s 240v, 50 amps installed, the cable itself may not draw the max potential (must read the fine prints especially aftermarket brands because the output is different - good indicator is the price difference) and/or get too hot - I tend to keep my car at least 5 years, so for peace of mind, I went ahead and got the CP wall unit.
I have friends with Tsla who used the factory provided cable (installed the 240v and 50amps) but NO wall unit - they’re as happy as can be. I supposed the Volvo cable should be as good and the output allows you to draw max
I keep that cable on the car permanently for public use if needed.
The Volvo unit seems decent, it seems to supply up to 40 amps. I have been using it until my Wallbox shows up this week. The challenge is since the car in incapable of scheduled charging a wall unit is necessary if you have limited panel capacity or have discounted electric rates off peak. I get 400 kWh of power free each month then 4.recents per kWH above that from 12am-6am so me charging during those hours is critical. Also I have150 amp panel so pulling 4 amps while possible 2 HVAV units are running and possible usage of electric stove makes me nervous charging any other time.

81 - 100 of 130 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.