Volvo XC40 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

Registered
Thanks for all the feedback. I understand most of it. But it's a foreign language to me. I had a flip phone until 2 years ago. My gut tells me to install an outlet in my garage and Use the cable that came with the car. It's long enough. And hope for the best.馃

Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for all the feedback. I understand most of it. But it's a foreign language to me. I had a flip phone until 2 years ago. My gut tells me to install an outlet in my garage and Use the cable that came with the car. It's long enough. And hope for the best.馃
Yes, get an electrician to put in a 14-50 plug. It will let you use the standard charger and see how it goes. If you are driving more miles once back to normal, then you can look at getting the L2 chargers. Which most can use the 14-50 plug thus you are just plug and play. Enjoy!

Registered
I've had a Blink Level 2 EVSE in my garage since I bought my Leaf in 2011. It's been great. It's not the same as the current models Blink sells, so I can't specifically recommend those, but it's had only one problem. It stopped working. I called Blink and a repairman was there two days later and fixed it on the spot. It was a burned out circuit board. That was in 2012 and it's worked perfectly ever since. The connector is J1772, which will should fit the Recharge port although not the DC part. I don't know the current product configuration, but I recommend at least giving Blink a look. I mounted it close enough to the driveway so that it can be used to charge in the garage or if I park on the driveway. Consider your placement carefully. The cord can get in the way, especially if you use your garage for other things like laundry or shop, etc. One disadvantage of the Blink is that the GUI is very clunky and picky if you have to reset it after a power outage, but they've probably fixed that by now.

Registered
Question? I literally just got my xc40 recharge an hour ago. Very excited but I'm ready for a learning curve. The dealer gave me no info on home charging. My neighbor has a tesla and he didn't install a charging station. He had an electrician put in a NEMA 1450 outlet and just plugs in. He thought there was very little difference in charging time between using this 220 outlet and a charging station. Thoughts?
Did you purchase a demo car or did you order it ahead of time?

Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
Discussion Starter #27
PSA - looks like ChargePoint is having stock issues. Currently out of stock on website and looks like they may drop ship for Home Depot too. So let鈥檚 see when I get mine.

Registered
Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with any of the other Level 2 chargers (like Juicebox, Primecom, Lectron or AxFAST)? The ChargePoint is sold out on their site and at Home Depot, the other retailer will only deliver to Los Angeles County and Amazon wants $1500+ for it. Would like to get moving on this before the car gets here. Thanks.

Registered
Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with any of the other Level 2 chargers (like Juicebox, Primecom, Lectron or AxFAST)? The ChargePoint is sold out on their site and at Home Depot, the other retailer will only deliver to Los Angeles County and Amazon wants $1500+ for it. Would like to get moving on this before the car gets here. Thanks.
I have been using the Enel X (Juicenet) L2 home charger for the past few years with my Volvo XC60 T8.

Registered
If you want a wall hanging unit, many are out of stock.

I just purchased:
MUSTART Level 2 Portable EV Charger (240 Volt, 25ft Cable, 40 Amp), Electric Vehicle Charger Plug-in EV Charging Station with NEMA 14-50P (Update Version)

I have used it the past two weeks. Level 2, has all the information in the control box which is in line. No wifi, but has 40 amp output and works without a hiccup.

And, the price is right....

I had a wall unit. This one is much better. Just coil the cord and hand it on the included hook.

Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
Discussion Starter #33
ChargePoint replied to my Twitter request and said they are hoping to have stock shortly. Luckily the car does come with a 240V plug so you can limp till it鈥檚 back in stock on the included power cord.

Your better move is get the Electrical work done now and you can then plug and play if you aren鈥檛 going to hardwire the wall box.

Registered
If you want a wall hanging unit, many are out of stock.

I just purchased:
MUSTART Level 2 Portable EV Charger (240 Volt, 25ft Cable, 40 Amp), Electric Vehicle Charger Plug-in EV Charging Station with NEMA 14-50P (Update Version)

I have used it the past two weeks. Level 2, has all the information in the control box which is in line. No wifi, but has 40 amp output and works without a hiccup.

And, the price is right....

I had a wall unit. This one is much better. Just coil the cord and hand it on the included hook.

Registered
I was going to have a nema 1450 plug installed in my garage and use the cord that came with the car. But my garage is full so it's in the driveway. The cord is only 10 feet and that's a problem. So I was going to buy the same unit Homer bought. But my wife insisted on a wall unit. So we ordered a juice box. Hopefully it will come next week and we can have it installed. In the meantime I have used 2 different public charging stations. But both were basic and in one hour I went from 49% charge to 52%. Unfortunately there are not many high speed charging stations in northern NJ. I'm going later today to the Vince Lombardi rest stop on the NJ turnpike. They have a 50 Amp ccs charger. I'll see how long that takes. Only had the car for 6 days, still learning. I call it a toaster with 4 wheels. FYI, I don't know if the software upgrade was ever made before they gave me my car last week. We were still not able to connect to my Volvo app. I don't know what else is not working but the car runs fine.

Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
Discussion Starter #36
I was going to have a nema 1450 plug installed in my garage and use the cord that came with the car. But my garage is full so it's in the driveway. The cord is only 10 feet and that's a problem. So I was going to buy the same unit Homer bought. But my wife insisted on a wall unit. So we ordered a juice box. Hopefully it will come next week and we can have it installed. In the meantime I have used 2 different public charging stations. But both were basic and in one hour I went from 49% charge to 52%. Unfortunately there are not many high speed charging stations in northern NJ. I'm going later today to the Vince Lombardi rest stop on the NJ turnpike. They have a 50 Amp ccs charger. I'll see how long that takes. Only had the car for 6 days, still learning. I call it a toaster with 4 wheels. FYI, I don't know if the software upgrade was ever made before they gave me my car last week. We were still not able to connect to my Volvo app. I don't know what else is not working but the car runs fine.
Most chargers i've sen in the Jersey area that are L2 are only about 6KW which won't charge super fast but good for top off. Western Jersey here in Frenchtown area.

Read Only
For anybody looking at installing a charger or electrical service to a garage, etc., note that electricians are backed up, often scheduling 1+ months out. People are doing more projects around the house while they are staying home more and COVID + winter slowed everything down. So just be ready to plan a little further out than you might want.

Registered
We ended up getting the ChargePoint Home Flex direct from ChargePoint (NEVA 14-50 for $699), which got to us quickly. Going to do a 60A circuit to the detached garage to get a 48A continuous flow on a hardwired charger. With winter and COVID, electricians are backed up, so installation is later in April. But at least there are a good number of local public chargers, and my employer has one within walking distance. On the advice of a friend, I also picked up a TeslaTap to maximize charging options when out and about.

The table is set! Now I just need that steak....
Thanks for introducing the TeslaTap - I believe the P8 draws up to 48amps @ 11kwh. When using the TeslaTap adapter from a (i) Tesla Destination Charger (ii) Tesla High Powered Connector, by chance on how many estimated miles can be drawn per Hour ? Thank you in advance!

Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
Discussion Starter #40
The NEMA 14-50 plug is back in stock!

21 - 40 of 79 Posts