Volvo XC40 Forum banner

XC40 Recharge - home L2 charger

34K views 129 replies 31 participants last post by  Azsunny 
#1 ·
When I went into the dealership earlier this month to test drive, they gave me a copy of the dealer bulletin dated October 2020, long story short ChargePoint is the preferred unit and they are recommending Qmerit for installation if you want. I remember looking through one of the forums, that someone had mentioned that Dealerships may have had a discount on the home charger. I pushed and they do not offer any additional discounts or special links. So up to you where you want to order the unit from, but remember save your receipts as you can get up to 30% back on installation costs when you file your 2021 taxes next year. You will need to file Form 8911 next year, and this covers both the unit and any labor to install.

We just ordered our ChargePoint Home Flex in preparation of taking deliver. While we ordered it with the 14-50 plug (you can also order with the 6-50 plug, but 14-50 is the newer style and used within RV industry) but plan to hardwire the unit at home. The Volvo XC40 Recharge states it can accept up to a 11 kW charge, which doing electrical math means it will take about 45.5 A to hit this level on 240V. The ChargePoint installation instructs states you will need a 60 A breaker to get 48 A usable to charge with (they require a 125% buffer on the breaker for safety). If you stick with the 50A plug (on a 50A breaker) you get 40 A usable netting a 9.6 kW charge.

You can order direct through ChargePoint - Home Depot - Amazon, but it seems stock is limited as Amazon pricing sky rocketed for the 14-50 plug. We went with Home Depot here and hope to have it next week. Will post photos once we get it installed and configured.

See less See more
#2 ·
When I went into the dealership earlier this month to test drive, they gave me a copy of the dealer bulletin dated October 2020, long story short ChargePoint is the preferred unit and they are recommending Qmerit for installation if you want. I remember looking through one of the forums, that someone had mentioned that Dealerships may have had a discount on the home charger. I pushed and they do not offer any additional discounts or special links. So up to you where you want to order the unit from, but remember save your receipts as you can get up to 30% back on installation costs when you file your 2021 taxes next year. You will need to file Form 8911 next year, and this covers both the unit and any labor to install.

We just ordered our ChargePoint Home Flex in preparation of taking deliver. While we ordered it with the 14-50 plug (you can also order with the 6-50 plug, but 14-50 is the newer style and used within RV industry) but plan to hardwire the unit at home. The Volvo XC40 Recharge states it can accept up to a 11 kW charge, which doing electrical math means it will take about 45.5 A to hit this level on 240V. The ChargePoint installation instructs states you will need a 60 A breaker to get 48 A usable to charge with (they require a 125% buffer on the breaker for safety). If you stick with the 50A plug (on a 50A breaker) you get 40 A usable netting a 9.6 kW charge.

You can order direct through ChargePoint - Home Depot - Amazon, but it seems stock is limited as Amazon pricing sky rocketed for the 14-50 plug. We went with Home Depot here and hope to have it next week. Will post photos once we get it installed and configured.
In the US, also check with your city or local authority about programs and discounts for installing Level 2 chargers at home. I signed up for the City of Seattle program in 2019 and the city installed a level 2 charger in my garage. After I finish the study, I get to keep the charger. There is a small monthly fee.

#3 ·
Sadly there is nothing similar for me with my New Jersey electric provider or through the state. But glad the federal got extended, I tried to push Volvo Concierge at the end of last year for info on the recommended chargers and it was like no one wanted to advocate for the customer and get information beyond reading their approved scripts.

#4 ·

We ended up getting the ChargePoint Home Flex direct from ChargePoint (NEVA 14-50 for $699), which got to us quickly. Going to do a 60A circuit to the detached garage to get a 48A continuous flow on a hardwired charger. With winter and COVID, electricians are backed up, so installation is later in April. But at least there are a good number of local public chargers, and my employer has one within walking distance. On the advice of a friend, I also picked up a TeslaTap to maximize charging options when out and about.

The table is set! Now I just need that steak....

#13 ·
Yeah I get why they don’t recommend using an adapter like these, but I'm also confused by the 40A statement. I also have seen a striking amount of misinformation and confusion in every direction related to how new all of this is. Until I know better, though, I'll set the charging to 40A when connecting to a Tesla charger! Better slow than sorry!

#15 ·
Question? I literally just got my xc40 recharge an hour ago. Very excited but I'm ready for a learning curve. The dealer gave me no info on home charging. My neighbor has a tesla and he didn't install a charging station. He had an electrician put in a NEMA 1450 outlet and just plugs in. He thought there was very little difference in charging time between using this 220 outlet and a charging station. Thoughts?

#17 ·
That's a fine approach if you don't need the absolute fastest speeds available from hardwiring a charging station, and if you don't care about some of the "smart" scheduling features and metrics available from the charging stations themselves. Volvo On Call will soon have some of those features directly, anyway -- like scheduling charging times. In my situation most of the cost is going to be in getting the electrical circuit run out to the garage -- so the convenience of having a standalone, hardwired charging station and leaving the other cables in the car is what I've chosen. But it is definitely not the cheapest nor simplest approach.

#24 ·
I've had a Blink Level 2 EVSE in my garage since I bought my Leaf in 2011. It's been great. It's not the same as the current models Blink sells, so I can't specifically recommend those, but it's had only one problem. It stopped working. I called Blink and a repairman was there two days later and fixed it on the spot. It was a burned out circuit board. That was in 2012 and it's worked perfectly ever since. The connector is J1772, which will should fit the Recharge port although not the DC part. I don't know the current product configuration, but I recommend at least giving Blink a look. I mounted it close enough to the driveway so that it can be used to charge in the garage or if I park on the driveway. Consider your placement carefully. The cord can get in the way, especially if you use your garage for other things like laundry or shop, etc. One disadvantage of the Blink is that the GUI is very clunky and picky if you have to reset it after a power outage, but they've probably fixed that by now.

#30 ·
Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with any of the other Level 2 chargers (like Juicebox, Primecom, Lectron or AxFAST)? The ChargePoint is sold out on their site and at Home Depot, the other retailer will only deliver to Los Angeles County and Amazon wants $1500+ for it. Would like to get moving on this before the car gets here. Thanks.

#35 ·
I was going to have a nema 1450 plug installed in my garage and use the cord that came with the car. But my garage is full so it's in the driveway. The cord is only 10 feet and that's a problem. So I was going to buy the same unit Homer bought. But my wife insisted on a wall unit. So we ordered a juice box. Hopefully it will come next week and we can have it installed. In the meantime I have used 2 different public charging stations. But both were basic and in one hour I went from 49% charge to 52%. Unfortunately there are not many high speed charging stations in northern NJ. I'm going later today to the Vince Lombardi rest stop on the NJ turnpike. They have a 50 Amp ccs charger. I'll see how long that takes. Only had the car for 6 days, still learning. I call it a toaster with 4 wheels. FYI, I don't know if the software upgrade was ever made before they gave me my car last week. We were still not able to connect to my Volvo app. I don't know what else is not working but the car runs fine.

#37 ·
For anybody looking at installing a charger or electrical service to a garage, etc., note that electricians are backed up, often scheduling 1+ months out. People are doing more projects around the house while they are staying home more and COVID + winter slowed everything down. So just be ready to plan a little further out than you might want.

#42 ·
A word of warning to those getting an EVSE installed. Be sure to get an all-inclusive quote from the electrician and check the wording very carefully to be sure you don't pay until the job has passed final inspection. You may not even need one, depending on your usage of the car. For most people, overnight charging on 120 volts is sufficient. I'm going to post a letter I wrote to the USDOE about the nightmare experience I had when I bought my Leaf in 2011. It's long, so I may have to cut it into pieces.

I am writing to alert you to the horrible mismanagement of the EV Project in the San Francisco Bay Area. The incompetence of Ecotality and the dishonesty of its electrician subcontractors has not only resulted in EV purchasers being ripped off, but, more importantly, the goals of the DOE to promote electric vehicles is being thwarted, not forwarded. Although I will set forth my personal financial complaints here, I believe it is important for you to understand them in order to see how the program is counterproductive. Excuse the length, but I don't think you can appreciate the nightmare this project has become without it.

I am a retired FBI agent and attorney who purchased a Nissan Leaf, taking delivery in June 2011. Large motivating factors were a desire to promote energy independence, clean air, and reduction in greenhouse gases. For these reasons I was much in favor of the DOE's EV Project, which I believe shares these goals. As I understood the program the vendor, Ecotality, or Nissan, would pay for $700 of the upgrade from the SV model I originally ordered to the SL-e in order to get the quick charge (440V) port and would also pay $1200 to get a "free" charging unit installed in my garage. I knew I would still have to pay about $1300 for the upgrade to the SL-e and any overage in the cost of installing the charging unit beyond the $1200. Even though I felt reasonably sure I could get by just fine with the Level 1 EVSE and a regular 120V wall plug since I am retired and rarely drive more than 10 miles a day, I was willing to spend the extra money, which I was led to believe would be quite small, so that the DOE could monitor my power usage which would contribute to plans to provide electric charging infrastructure and so forth.

When I applied for the project Ecotality repeatedly assured me that the charging unit should be installed within the $1200 based on my questionnaire answers. I relied on these statements in deciding to upgrade. When it finally came time for the electricians to assess my house for the install I was shocked to receive a quote for $3558 OVER the $1200 paid by Ecotality. The vendor was Sprig Electric in San Jose. This amount was more than the non-subsidized amount quoted by Aerovironment (AV) for the AV brand EVSE, an amount I thought was too high and which I had already turned down. I checked around with other Leaf purchasers and discovered that this amount was much higher than others had been paying for the Blink EVSE, so I complained to Ecotality and asked to be able to get a quote from another vendor. The other electricians I spoke to said they could give me a much better price but were not allowed to do so without the permission of Ecotality or they would be excluded from the program. Ecotality refused to let me do that and instead apparently recontacted Sprig, which then sent me a revised quote for $2256. This was still much higher than I originally anticipated. Not only that, but by this time (months after taking delivery of the Leaf) I was then aware that the Level 1 charging off my 120V plug worked just fine. I did not need the Level 2 charger at all and the Level 3 quick charge (QC) port was useless since there were no QC charging stations in the Bay Area and no near-term plans to install them. Still, I had signed the contract and already received the $700 rebate for the QC port and paid for the upgrade to the SL-e as well, plus I still supported the goals of the EVP, so I reluctantly agreed to pay this amount.

At this point, though, I realized the DOE's approach was deeply flawed. The idea of trying to make the short-range EV's like the Leaf into long-range cars by installing Level 3 chargers may have some merit in the long-term, but it actually misleads the consumer and makes the purchase more expensive. It makes the consumer believe he or she must spend money for expensive electrical system upgrades, which in fact are unnecessary. There is an after-market EVSE that uses an ordinary 220V dryer plug to achieve level 2 charging at home. For about $300 I could have had the same capability for L2 charging that the EV Project gives me and I could have stayed with the SV model. This is what the DOE should be promoting.

Returning to my own situation, it became a total disaster after this. Sprig came and installed the Blink EVSE unit, which works OK, and also installed a new electrical panel, which I did not know they were going to do until the day they showed up for the install. There had been no communication to me about this prior to that. The quote only aid they would install the EVSE. They cut into my stucco wall and made this change and left the stucco around the panel open and exposed to the elements. When they called for the preliminary inspection, the city inspector came and told them they had not properly grounded the new panel and charger and could not leave the wall around the panel open like that. Since the charging unit was working, I gave them partial payment, but held back $300. The situation remained that way for months. As fall approached I became concerned about the rainy weather causing problems at the open wall around the panel and complained to Sprig but nothing happened. So next I complained to Ecotality. They were always cordial and received my complaints but never got back to me. Instead, Sprig then contacted me, apparently prompted by Ecotality, and came out and propped a plastic sheet over my panel. As more time went by I was not satisfied so I complained again to both Sprig and Ecotality. Sprig said they would send someone to seal up the open stucco around the panel. I strongly emphasized that they had better check with the electrician because there was still the grounding work to be done and it may be necessary to have that done first and inspected. Instead they sent out a non-English speaking plasterer who sealed it up. I painted over the new stucco for additional protection. More weeks went by. The grounding wire that had never been connected was coiled on the bathroom floor in the garage's half-bath. There was still no final inspection approved. About that time I received a form email from Heather Clegg-Haman of Ecotality asking for my feedback. Needless to say, I was unhappy and sent a long email detailing all the frustration I had about the project and especially about Sprig. She never responded to me about my complaints, nor did anyone else from Ecotality. Once again, however, Sprig contacted me the next day to arrange for the final inspection. I agreed and the day was set for the following week. The original electrician showed up along with the inspector. The electrician could not understand why the final had been called for since he had not yet grounded the unit. Also, he was not aware that the stucco work had been done. He was able to complete the grounding work before the inspector arrived. When the inspector arrived, he refused to pass the inspection because he could not see whether the stucco work had been done according to code, i.e. with the proper wire mesh and paper underneath. Not only that, but the electrician had failed to bring the prior inspection report and all the photos he had taken to show the previous work that had been approved. The second inspector, who was different from the first, could not tell what had been approved or what had been done properly previously. He wrote a correction notice in lieu of fining the electricians and told him that he needed to schedule another final and bring all the records from the first inspection and if they had been lost, to come to City Hall and get a copy of that report from the planning department to bring to the final.

Weeks went by with no further word and then I got a bill from Sprig for the final $300 I had held back. I notified them that the installation had never passed final inspection. The rep for Sprig, named Jason, told me he was sure they had received final approval, but would double check with the inspector and would send me the notice showing it had been approved. I checked with the planning department myself and they assured me that it had not been approved. I then called the inspector himself who also told me that he could not approve it in its current state and told me not to pay the final bill. Jason sent me the notice which showed that the spot for final approval had NOT been signed and there was a notation at the bottom that a correction notice had been issued. I contacted him again and he said that one of his managers had told him that the initials at the bottom (where it indicated there was a correction notice) meant it had been approved for the final even though he admitted it was not signed where it usually is for the final. I told him I had spoken to the inspector myself and been told not to pay. He told me again he would double check with the inspector. Nothing changed since then until yesterday, when I received in the mail yet another bill for $300. This is beyond incompetent. It is clearly fraudulent. Sprig knows they failed to complete the installation. Ecotality knows they have a fraudulent and incompetent vendor but I would be willing to bet that they are still referring jobs to them and probably paid them in full for my job even though it wasn't completed. It is patently unfair to the consumers to deny them the right to choose their own electrician and shop around for price and reputation, and then when they are ripped off to do nothing to cure the situation. It is also inexcusable for Ecotality not to contact the participants when problems arise. They merely take a complaint down and apparently just forward it to the electricians who are ripping off the customer. The attitude seems to be tell any lies you need to in order to get people to sign up, then screw them once you start getting the data transmitted. Sprig should be barred as a vendor and the $1200 for the "installation" in my case at least should be withheld.

This whole EV Project experience has been a nightmare. I have been extremely vocal on mynissanleaf.com, the main forum for Leaf owners, detailing every step of this fiasco and encouraging everyone NOT to participate in the EV Project. I will continue to do so until it begins to be administered in a responsible way. The DOE should be ashamed of itself for allowing this state of affairs to exist. Of course I am not going to pay the $300. I do have a working Blink EVSE, even though it has not proven to be any more useful to than the 120V plug in my wall, but the inspector told me if the plasterer did not properly put in new wire mesh and paper, which I am pretty sure he did not, then my stucco job is substandard and could deteriorate early. I have spent thousands of dollars to get work done on my house that has, if anything, lessened its value and for a car with an already vestigial 440V port. The other features I got with the SL (backup camera and garage door opener) are nearly worthless to me. The DOE should be spending money to subsidize the the purchase of the cars, not changing the infrastructure. The Leaf and Volt are perfectly good cars as is, using existing plugs and the Level 2 chargers that employers, hotels, etc. are installing. The EV Project itself is draining money away from that. I support your goals, but not the way this has been administered.

#43 ·
Here's some more technical details of the nightmare for those more into the nuts and bolts. This is from an email I sent to another EV owner at the time. Caveat Emptor.

So far as I'm concerned the big issue is the lack of transparency to use the buzz word of the day. Ecotality told me that based on my questionnaire I should fit within the $1200 with no extra cost. I relied on that. As it turns out my subpanel is 200A and I thought that was the main panel, but my main panel was only 125 amps. When the Sprig estimator came out she told me that should be sufficient and I wouldn't need a new main panel, or words to that effect. When the estimate came I was outraged and did get it reduced after much haggling, but I still thought it was just for the wire run so I signed on the quote, a binding contract. Then when the electrician arrived he told me for the first time that my main panel had to be replaced and that's what he had pulled the permit to do. They did not increase the quote, but the difference now is that it may cause the new carbon monoxide detector law to apply which could require me to install interconnected combination smoke/CO detectors throughout the house even though I already have interconnected smoke detectors and a standalone CO detector. That could cost me thousands more. Payment is due under the contract "upon install." I thought that meant everything necessary to get the permit approved, but the electrician's stance is that means when it's in and working, whether or not the inspector signs off. If you have similar wording in your contract with the electrician, be sure to change the wording to make payment due upon both completion of all work and final approval by the city inspector (which ever is later).

#46 ·
Installed and connected to WiFi. Decided to do additional safety switch if we decide to reuse the circuit later in garage. View attachment 577

We purchase and installed a Chargepoiint Homeflex 14-50 in December to get the 30% federal rebate locked in. Still haven't received our P8 Recharge, but hoping for this week. My question for all of you is: Is there anything special to Volvo's "partnership" with Chargepoint that benefits owners more than just purchasing and setting up their account on their own? I can't find any benefit of the Volvo "partnership" - no discount or extras. Am I missing something? Thanks.

#51 ·
Installation completed today, connected to WIFI. Purchased unit directly from ChargePoint about 3 weeks ago, arrived 5 days later.
  • NEMA 14-50 plug, 50 Amps
  • The unit flashes in "White" while the indicators on the left side remains inactive
  • Once the ChargePoint app is selected with "Home Charger" AND sync with WIFI, the unit turns "Green" while one of the side indicator with wifi icon turns "green" as well
  • The app on mobile then says " Ready to Charge "

#67 ·
Installation completed today, connected to WIFI. Purchased unit directly from ChargePoint about 3 weeks ago, arrived 5 days later.
  • NEMA 14-50 plug, 50 Amps
  • The unit flashes in "White" while the indicators on the left side remains inactive
  • Once the ChargePoint app is selected with "Home Charger" AND sync with WIFI, the unit turns "Green" while one of the side indicator with wifi icon turns "green" as well
  • The app on mobile then says " Ready to Charge "

View attachment 579
What is the difference between @MMK install and @dtaylor89 install? I'm not sure what scenario you'd need "additional safety switch if we decide to reuse the circuit later in garage" ?

I'm starting to get electrician estimates for this and just wasn't sure about the difference. I'm going to need the circuit to run to the wall in my garage that is opposite of the wall where the breaker box is. I hope the ChargePoint Home Flex units come back in stock soon.

#52 ·
My chargepoint charger was delivered yesterday. I ordered on Amazon (via chargepoint). Originally it was a 3 week potential delivery timeframe and 2 days after the order it confirmed it was to be delivered within the week.
I needed the 6-50 plug which was showing out of stock on chargepoint site - but amazon allowed me to order for future inventory. I noticed both are out of stock this morning.

#53 ·
I just got my car back from the dealer. It took 6 days to change a flat tire. But my question is about home charging. I just had a 40A juicebox hardwired in my home. I'm charging for the first time and I see it's charging at 20 A. Does Volvo limit it? Is it the charger or the car?

#57 ·
Yes. While the car is charging you can changed the maximum speed. I believe it comes factory set at 12 or 16A. You also can change maximum charge to 90 or 100%. All this is visible on the screen while the car is charging. No need to search for it. If I figured it out it must be foolproof.

#59 ·
Surprise call today the P8 has come in. Now scrabbling to find a charge box. Wait for the ChargePoint to come back in stock or go with a juice box? I’m also seeing a post here and there about just a hardwire connection (i.e. no charger box just direct connection to nema wall outlet). Is this even a possibility?

#63 ·
It might be worthwhile to keep in mind that the Mustart, like other so-called "chargers" (and ChargePoint is one of them) are not chargers, but devices that supply power to the car in a safe, regulated manner. The actual charger is already built in the car (11kW), for which Volvo provides the perfect cable (nearly 15 feet long) in the car - all the safety and regulation protocols are handled by this cable and it will take advantage of the maximum rate the car can accept (48A at 240V). So, buying something like the Mustart device is a personal choice, based on your situation/preference, and not really required if the car's 15' cable car can reach your 14-50P box. One end of this cable can permanently stay plugged in the garage's 14-50P box, while the other end with the J1772 connector gets connected to the car as needed, with the charge settings done in the car's console display.

OTOH, I think something like the Mustart with its longer 25' cable could be a good thing to have and keep in the car just in case you're in a bind out there where there's a 14-50P plug available for a Recharge.

#64 ·
A question and comment.

The maximum charge rate the car can accept is controlled in the vehicle settings. But, the maximum charge,(current), that can be delivered is dependent on the cable. Not all chargers are capable of delivering a 40 amp charge rate.

The cable in the Volvo is not necessarily capable of the 48 Amp max charge rate. The Volvo site is not clear, but does state, "The charging cable can consume between 10A and 16A from the wall socket, depending on the current limitations in the charging cable. "

The Mustart charges is specifically rated to deliver 40 AMPs if using a 50 AMP circuit. Many chargers are rated at only 26 AMP regardless of the power supply.

My question is, "Are you certain that the Volvo supplied cable is capable of the 40 AMP charge rate if on a 50 AMP circuit?"

Also, many people equate chargers with the device that supplies the current. You are correct stating that the vehicle does indeed have the software and hardware interface to the batteries, but that does not supply the electrical current.

My comment would be that the term "charger" has become synonymous with the device that supplies as a conduit from the home socket to the electrical power input of the car. It is not just an extension cord, but does contain software and hardware that monitors the current and establishes feedback to the car to confirm a safe connection. It is a charging interface.

#69 ·
Ditto on Dtaylor89’s description of 1) his installation of safety switch 2) wall plug-in vs hard-wire amp output

Like yours, The new car is also on the opposite side of the breaker but I decided to have Contractor provide plug-in availability on BOTH sides of the wall anyway for 1) future convenience 2) flexibility of use 3) should future house owner has 2 EVs since the cost to do so it’s just a tad more. Attached pictures you’ll see the exposed tubes snaking up the ceiling across and down - since it’s just a garage, exposed pipes add some character to it !

#71 ·
This is the first time I am charging my car. It is at 55% and I have it set to charge to 90%. It is at 39A and 9.8kw. That seem to be the max as it is a 40A unit. It is now 12:30pm. It's telling me the charge will be complete at 1:00am. Does it really take 12 hours to charge 35%?

#72 ·
The car has a functional 75kWh battery capacity. Actual capacity is 78kWh, but use is restricted to 75kWh.
If there is 50% battery capacity, that gives about 32.5 kWh. At a charge of 10kw, it should take about 5 hours. This is because the last 10% of charge is decreased to prevent heating issues.

Charging to 80% is quicker. The final 10% on a 100% charge is exceedingly slow.

If your showing 12 hours for a charge of 35%, your charging unit may not be providing the amperage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.