Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seeing a lot of issues with warped rotors for the XC40. Is this something that affects the recharge also? I'm scared because this is a wear component that the dealer may or may not cover depending on their mood. Also what happens when it's out of warranty? Are people just paying for new rotors every 10,000-20,000 miles??

·
Registered
195 Posts
Brakes on EVs are much less prone to wear due to the use of regenerative braking. That being said, some people have had issues with the parking brake rusting closed and there was a replacement done.

Maintenance costs should be much less than an ICE XC40 overall.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Warped rotors seems to be a Volvo thing (not exclusive to Volvo). My wife has a T5 and it has been flawless now at 2500 miles. I am one with the rusted pads/rotors issues, but the brakes really do not get used heavily unless you do aggressive braking. That said with my latest issue it is clear the P8 applies the friction brakes a bit even during regen, my guess os to prevent rust/gunk from building up on the pads/rotors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am seeing a lot of issues with warped rotors for the XC40. Is this something that affects the recharge also? I'm scared because this is a wear component that the dealer may or may not cover depending on their mood. Also what happens when it's out of warranty? Are people just paying for new rotors every 10,000-20,000 miles??
Heads up to other 2022 XC40 Recharge buyers: 2 issues on warranty items (picked up mine on 10/2 in the US). I did not choose to 'order' the extra warranty packages when I placed the order for my vehicle. But, as I live in Denver, and windshield cracking occurs frequently, I was considering the protection plan that includes the windshield replacement coverage. When the dealer quoted me prices for this coverage, it was significantly higher than what was offered on the order page. There was general grumbling from the dealer rep, but he honored the prices listed on the website, so be prepared on that front.

Also, the dealer rep explained that the rotors were a likely replacement item within the coverage period (48 months, I think) for the extra 'Volvo Care Select' package. Based on that, we purchased the Care Select coverage for ~$1200. In reviewing the Factory Wear and Tear Coverage pamphlet, however, it became clear that Volvo is including brake pads, wiper blades and rotors (1 time, I believe) in their complimentary coverage for the 2022 models. Dealer rep assured me that I was incorrect and that his service manager also said I was incorrect because 'Volvo never covers rotors'. I sent the picture of the pamphlet. Turns out Volvo is covering these items for this model. I got a refund of the purchase for the Care Select package, but perhaps you can avoid paying this in the first place.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heads up to other 2022 XC40 Recharge buyers: 2 issues on warranty items (picked up mine on 10/2 in the US). I did not choose to 'order' the extra warranty packages when I placed the order for my vehicle. But, as I live in Denver, and windshield cracking occurs frequently, I was considering the protection plan that includes the windshield replacement coverage. When the dealer quoted me prices for this coverage, it was significantly higher than what was offered on the order page. There was general grumbling from the dealer rep, but he honored the prices listed on the website, so be prepared on that front.

Also, the dealer rep explained that the rotors were a likely replacement item within the coverage period (48 months, I think) for the extra 'Volvo Care Select' package. Based on that, we purchased the Care Select coverage for ~$1200. In reviewing the Factory Wear and Tear Coverage pamphlet, however, it became clear that Volvo is including brake pads, wiper blades and rotors (1 time, I believe) in their complimentary coverage for the 2022 models. Dealer rep assured me that I was incorrect and that his service manager also said I was incorrect because 'Volvo never covers rotors'. I sent the picture of the pamphlet. Turns out Volvo is covering these items for this model. I got a refund of the purchase for the Care Select package, but perhaps you can avoid paying this in the first place.
Had the same exact discussion with royal auto group Volvo in SF. They're complete morons to be honest. They handed me a pamphlet confirming the wear coverage on pads and rotors right after arguing with me that "rotors are never covered". I would have preferred to purchase my car from a Wendy's to be quite honest.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Most of the "care" and extended warranty packages have so many exclusions and co-pays they are not worth it. they car go for major issues, but even then I recall when I had my Audio I cancelled within 30 days for full refund when I read all the fine print. My feeling is if I need the extended warranty I bought the wrong car.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most of the "care" and extended warranty packages have so many exclusions and co-pays they are not worth it. they car go for major issues, but even then I recall when I had my Audio I cancelled within 30 days for full refund when I read all the fine print. My feeling is if I need the extended warranty I bought the wrong car.
Well it does infact look like you bought the wrong car lol

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Well it does infact look like you bought the wrong car lol

Touche, but I am within standard warranty and lemon law will help me decide if this is indeed the wrong car. Was out today and my love hate needle was fully on the love side today. I had washed it the other day and topped the ceramic with Gtechniq C2V3 last week and the gloss was excellent setting off the Bursting Blue. Honestly if Bursting Blue were still available I would let them swap the car out in a second.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
It's a great car overall - even with a few drawbacks. So happy we bought it instead of another Tesla.
Agreed. Had it since may no major problems has been a joy to drive including a 1200 mile road trip. Every time I get in it I am pleased with my decision to get it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have to say I'm surprised by mention of brake replacements on the XC40 P8. Typically on an EV, brake components last the life of the car, as they are barely used.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
@cpfreedman.
You wrote “ But, as I live in Denver, and windshield cracking occurs frequently”

I must say my curiosity is piqued.
What happens in Denver that makes windshields crack frequently? Is it a weather thing?

Are there other cities where this happens?

How often is frequently?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I have to say I'm surprised by mention of brake replacements on the XC40 P8. Typically on an EV, brake components last the life of the car, as they are barely used.
Because they use 4 wheel discs, Volvo decided they will always engage the brakes even if just a little while braking, leveraging regan for most of it. They will likely last a long time (unless you have my case, see my posts). I get brake dust, very minimal and far less than my wife's T5.

·
Registered
2021 Glacier Silver XC40 Recharge P8
190 Posts
@cpfreedman.
You wrote “ But, as I live in Denver, and windshield cracking occurs frequently”

What happens in Denver that makes windshields crack frequently? Is it a weather thing?

How often is frequently?

Thanks in advance.
I took that comment (windshields cracking frequently) as reflection of too many stones kicked up on the road. Maybe it's something else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
@cpfreedman.

How often is frequently?

Thanks in advance.
It’s rocks on the road being kicked up. Worse if you drive in the mountains. No sooner than you replace a cracked windshield, you have a chip in the new one.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
It’s rocks on the road being kicked up. Worse if you drive in the mountains. No sooner than you replace a cracked windshield, you have a chip in the new one.
Ouch :( that sucks. Note to self, not taking Margo to Denver!!!

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Shhh your upsetting my car :)

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
One thing I like about the Volvo, even though I am sure it is a cost cutting move, is the black place wheel well trim and the lower rocker plate. Those places are notorious for chips, damage, road tar, whatever. Much easier to deal with when it is plastic.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts