Volvo XC40 Forum banner

Have you had Brake issues poll

• None (Not one issue)

Votes: 28 59.6%
  • Minor (Once or twice, but not needed to take it in for service yet))

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Serious (Have had to take it in to the dealer at least once)

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Major (Had to get brake parts replaced)

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Catastrophic (Invoked the 'Lemon Law' for a new vehicle)

Votes: 1 2.1%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to document how many people have had Brake problems with the Water issues, Rusting, Loud banging noises, etc with their XC40 Recharge vehicles.

· Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
536 Posts
I voted minor. There were 2 separate occasions after being parked overnight from a rain event. The brake delayed opening and I heard a brief thud when initially starting to move. No sign of damage or debonding. My feeling is it could have been worse if it was wetter, or if I had parked longer.

· Registered
876 Posts
I was going to add none but I remember a while ago I felt the breaks sticking once. Never felt it again.

· Registered
72 Posts
I voted "serious." Took it in after the first time it happened and the dealer found no damage. It has happened twice since... what I would call minor sticking. It's a two-hour round trip to the nearest dealer so I haven't been back.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
I think we all know what I selected. Catastrophic and while not technically invoking lemon law, Volvo is swapping the car. I would also suggest anyone that has had the clunk then thumping while driving for a while has damaged pads, even if the noise goes away the pad is already damaged.

· Registered
52 Posts
I haven't had the issue ... yet (already bought Power Stop pads in case I do). But I will say, because of reading He Keith's experience, I'll brake hard on the way up my long drive if I think the brakes are wet from the journey. Perhaps that is keeping me on the "less likely" side?

· Registered
549 Posts
I’m not going to vote because technically there isn’t an option that correctly fits ALL of us here, which is “NORMAL” brake “ISSUES” — I think these forums are blowing something way out of proportion. There are definitely a few oddities here, a few people who have had issues amply justified to visit the dealer. But…

Of the 25+ BEVs we’ve owned, especially those with OPD … it is totally normal for the brakes to seize up slightly. This is not something you’d normally experience with your nonBEV or non-OPD car, because the final braking as you enter your garage/parking spot at home (or work) involves using the friction brakes which also in turn cleans them off. However, in OPD, since the car can drive without ever using them, the moisture stays, and causes the pad/rotor to seize to one another.

We’ve had even Tesla products, as recently as 6 months ago, where this was still an issue. You had to give it the beans and you’d hear a loud CLUNK as you started moving again, to break that brakes (no pun intended) free so they could move. And, as you went down the road, it would take a few stomps of the friction brakes to clean them off. This “issue” is noted across ALL BEV manufactures, and is the reason why:

EX 1 - VOLKSWAGEN
If you go check out the VW ID4 you’ll notice something odd — it has rear drum brakes. Why? Because they are a closed system, and avoid moisture. This means they wont seize (see above) and cause the noises everyone is inappropriately worrying about here. Sure, drum brakes arent as good as disc for certain things like ABS performance — but since most of the BEV braking in the ID4 is done by regen (OPD), the brakes are demanded on less, so the drums suffice. This was VWs answer to the issues we’re discussing here

EX 2 - PORSCHE
Although this example of a solution becomes one that is a bit more ridiculous, Porsche’s answer to this are PSCB— The brake rotors, which the company calls Porsche Surface Coated Brakes (or PSCB), are iron rotors that receive a layer of super-hot tungsten carbide applied to the contact surface at an extremely high rate of speed. (READ MORE HERE). These brakes are more resilient to corrosion, and in turn, they fend off the same “sticking” issues our Volvo forums have made into a mountain. That said, Porsche does charge extra for these brakes, but I personally think they are a brilliant option and highly suggest any Taycan owners get them.

I could go on and on but the point is… a few good STOMPS on your brakes should clean them off (use the friction brakes, brake hard enough to go PAST the regen braking). And, when you park the car, especially after rain or a car wash, give the brakes a good mechanical push too, to clean them off. The car is operating as anticipated— this whole ordeal stems from how we drive, and how OPD/BEVs work.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
While the issue is probably not prevalent, there are enough examples of damaged pads here and the Polestar forums (one person the pads totally separated from the backing) that they clearly have a design issue. The issue is for those that have the sticking, unless it takes a large portion of pad off such that it makes nose when braking how does anyone know if or how much there pads are damaged? I am not sure I would say it is overblown as the forums represent a small sampling of owners so I suspect this problem while again not wide spread is big enough. Also who wants to get stuck somewhere (like the person on the polestar forums) where he had to have the car towed because the brakes failed.

As for a "few good stomps" while that may work is that really how to deal with this and then possibly get into a warped rotor situation? Each person will deal with this as they will if it comes up, but I do suspect there will be a TSB at some point, especially since one dealer tired to charge someone here $600 to fix this issue. It would be nice for Volvo/Polestar to at least issue an advisory that the problem exists so dealers can replace parts without charging customers.

I am glad for the people that don't have the issue. I had the issue enough that our second Recharge had the brakes installed before I took it home and I already have pads for the C40 when it arrives.

· Registered
549 Posts
The issue is for those that have the sticking, unless it takes a large portion of pad off such that it makes nose when braking how does anyone know if or how much there pads are damaged?
TBH this reply is the first time I’ve actually seen/read there was some “pad damage” because all the other threads about this issue have never been impactful to me, so I have not read them. (Sidebar: I do not read every post on this forum, only the subjects that interest me or apply to my knowledge needs. As such, the many threads about pad/rotor wear never directly impacted me. We’ve actually had LESS sticking brakes on our XC40 than our Tesla vehicles).

Indeed, I do agree that if there is pad damage then it should be replaced under warranty. And perhaps a TSB is/will be created as you said, for this matter. But I’d anticipate less than 1% of all XC40 P8 Recharge owners are experiencing pad damage. As you said the proportions get blown up a bit in these types of forums, of which we are a small and not very random sampling of owners.

Of ALL the BEVs we’ve had, and of those which had the pads seize to the rotors, never once did we experience any braking issues, pad issues, etc. Sounds to me like there may be an inherent issue with the pad material that Volvo is using, if chunks of pad are coming off due to moisture. That seems a fairly easy fix, too. Hopefully Volvo uses a new pad compound for the XC40 P8 Recharge application to resolve this issue. That said, in my humble experience, pads sticking to rotors can happen in ANY car (even non BEV) but is most prevalent in the BEV auto scenario. Some pad to rotor adhesion isn‘T room for concern; but pad chunks coming off obviously is — hope those impacted find resolve soon.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Of ALL the BEVs we’ve had, and of those which had the pads seize to the rotors, never once did we experience any braking issues, pad issues, etc. Sounds to me like there may be an inherent issue with the pad material that Volvo is using, if chunks of pad are coming off due to moisture. That seems a fairly easy fix, too. Hopefully Volvo uses a new pad compound for the XC40 P8 Recharge application to resolve this issue. That said, in my humble experience, pads sticking to rotors can happen in ANY car (even non BEV) but is most prevalent in the BEV auto scenario. Some pad to rotor adhesion isn‘T room for concern; but pad chunks coming off obviously is — hope those impacted find resolve soon.
I suspect the other BEVs had a better pad formula. The heavy metallic Volvo pads and whatever metals they are using are causing the issue. While VW may have other issues, kudos to them for addressing brake drag and potential oxidation issue sin their design.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.