Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Has anyone ventured out to open up the battery pack to see what kind of cell is in the XC40 Recharge? Curious what cell Volvo uses. The Chevy Bolt is going through a recall for battery fires, hope they don't use the same manufacturer.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Hello,

Has anyone ventured out to open up the battery pack to see what kind of cell is in the XC40 Recharge? Curious what cell Volvo uses. The Chevy Bolt is going through a recall for battery fires, hope they don't use the same manufacturer.

Cheers

the Bolt batteries are made by LG Chem, I believe Volvo's batteries are made by Northvolt so unless Northvolt or VOlvo did something wrong, we should be good.

Reactions: Ces

·
Registered
493 Posts
the Bolt batteries are made by LG Chem, I believe Volvo's batteries are made by Northvolt so unless Northvolt or VOlvo did something wrong, we should be good.
The XC40 P8 uses LG Chem pouch cells, same as the Bolt and most others outside of Tesla, except for units sold in China, which will use CATL batteries. It looks like Northvolt will be a supplier in the future, not yet.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I read that Hyundai has also had fires in the Kona EV with LG Chem batteries, like what happened in the Bolt. Both have mentioned a folded anode tab design led to shorting. This ars technica article does a good job explaining the problem.

What I'm trying to figure out is whether there is any difference in Volvo's manufacturing strategy, compared with GM and Hyundai. I had read that Volvo is building its own batteries, using "pouches" from LG Chem. Are Hyundai and GM doing something similar, or are they purchasing a battery solution that's basically completely manufactured by LG Chem? It sounds to me from the ars piece I linked above that Chevrolet was having LG Chem build the full battery.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
So the Chevy problem seems to be issues with the battery cells, and a folder/torn anode/separator. Is this a generic cell then that all EVs using the LG batteries use? One would think Volvo (super safety conscious company) would issue a statement one way or the other whether their batteries are impacted or not.

·
Registered
209 Posts
So the Chevy problem seems to be issues with the battery cells, and a folder/torn anode/separator. Is this a generic cell then that all EVs using the LG batteries use? One would think Volvo (super safety conscious company) would issue a statement one way or the other whether their batteries are impacted or not.
So I think the fold is by design, the tear (creating the protrusion, coupled with the poorly placed separator) is the problem. It said something in there about the robot being slightly misaligned so that occasionally something “catches” and leads to this problem. A semi-unlikely event that happens enough times to cause a problem but not enough to be caught in QA. If that’s true, and it’s also true that Volvo is just buying the pouches but doing the assembly itself, then I think we should be okay.

but yes I agree that I would be nice for Volvo to put out a little statement about their battery safety, maybe with a little accompanying video highlighting their advanced manufacturing technique.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Ouch. Too bad, it is a nice EV at a great price.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am a bolt owner and will be replacing it shortly. I am down to the mach-e and the p8. Ford has a large buffer 88/99 and 68/77. With the Volvo it is up to you to maintain the buffer 75/78 (still more than the bolt). I have had no problems hybrid or battery related in our 3016 xc90t8. We don't want a leaf or Tesla and there are no kia Nero EV anywhere close to us, LG chem related cells it will be.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I really liked the Mach-E, but the Volvo is a league above. The ride in the Mach-E gets a bit wild on bad roads on turns. Also I could never find a comfortable seating position that did not have the center console digging into my right leg. The Mach_e has less ground clearance than my old Sedan. Also Ford has as many quirky and build issues and Volvo or more so. Granted the Volvo cost more and the Ford has better range and is more efficient, but I would take the Volvo any day.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I really liked the Mach-E, but the Volvo is a league above. The ride in the Mach-E gets a bit wild on bad roads on turns. Also I could never find a comfortable seating position that did not have the center console digging into my right leg. The Mach_e has less ground clearance than my old Sedan. Also Ford has as many quirky and build issues and Volvo or more so. Granted the Volvo cost more and the Ford has better range and is more efficient, but I would take the Volvo any day.
My wife also likes the small footprint of the bolt. With all of the stuff in our garage the Ford will be a much tighter fit. I've driven both on good roads. I was comfortable, but at 5'5” 150 the center console does not stick out too far for me. I know that the regular battery would be comparable, but would want an extened range if I were to get the Ford. We will not be going back to ICE. If only the efficiency of the Volvo could be improved...

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Yeah I wish the Volvo had better rename, but prextically it has no impact on us as our busiest day of driving with our old ICE car would be around 100 miles and the Volvo gets that easily. I hope to get another EV and dump her T5 in next 2 years. Really want to see the Genesis GV60 and the Toyota BZ4X. The Kia EV6 looks good, but the low ground clearance is a show stopper for me.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yeah I wish the Volvo had better rename, but prextically it has no impact on us as our busiest day of driving with our old ICE car would be around 100 miles and the Volvo gets that easily. I hope to get another EV and dump her T5 in next 2 years. Really want to see the Genesis GV60 and the Toyota BZ4X. The Kia EV6 looks good, but the low ground clearance is a show stopper for me.
I'm in Vermont... ground clearance matters, winter range matters, but yes 125 to 150 miles of EV range in the winter is plenty for us. If we could follow GM's current guidelines and charge overnight and park in our garage without worrying about burning down the house we wouldn't be persuing a buyback of a car that we own free and clear that we like. It is now a very inconvenient EV to not charge overnight. Let's hope that if the recharge has battery issues that Volvo steps up with generous solutions for owners.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Even parking outside the car would need to be away from any structure that might catch fire. GM needs to step up the replacements as soon as LG Cheem has a fix. This is crazy. I almost bought a Bolt EUV and I would be pissed.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Even parking outside the car would need to be away from any structure that might catch fire. GM needs to step up the replacements as soon as LG Cheem has a fix. This is crazy. I almost bought a Bolt EUV and I would be pissed.
If the buyback went faster we would have replaced the bolt with a new EUV. I just read about a 2017 that went up in smoke. Please oh please let Ford and Volvo escape the LG battery problems.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Yeah I hope this is a GM specific thing or it will look like a smaller version of the airbag recalls and I can only imagine the marketing Tesla could do, “our EVs do not go up in flames, we just keep crashing into things when using Autopilot”

Reactions: Vatorney3

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeah, I wish we had more info about the LG batteries and if the manufacturing defect is across all lines. Just completed a Bolt buyback last week and heading out today to pick up our new P8. Sure hope I didn't exchange one problem for another....

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Yeah, I wish we had more info about the LG batteries and if the manufacturing defect is across all lines. Just completed a Bolt buyback last week and heading out today to pick up our new P8. Sure hope I didn't exchange one problem for another....
Enjoy the P8 it is wonderful :)
All the problems are fixable if you even get any of them.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Enjoy the P8 it is wonderful :)
All the problems are fixable if you even get any of them.
Well assuming your car and/or house don't burn down with you in it. :rolleyes: :eek:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts