Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It was definitely an adventure to get my wife's XC40 Recharge....sorry up front for the long post!

My wife agreed to get rid of the ICE suv to get an electric because she was sick of stopping to the gas station. That's what she told me anyway for her reason to say OK to this entire idea.

We started out with an order for a VW ID.4 AWD Pro S Gradient. We test drove a RWD ID.4 and my wife said it was "OK".....ie she didn't like it but just went with ordering an AWD version. I knew how this was going to go.....we'd be back car shopping in a year or so. Based on that, I suggested we put a deposit on a Q4 and wait for it to come in. She wasn't too keen on that idea since she had never seen or driven one....she needs to see and touch a car before she'll agree to buying it.

On a Saturday I suggested we stop by the Volvo dealer because they had a demo XC40 Recharge in stock and saw that we could get one within 10 business days. I showed her a picture and she agreed to stop and look. Needless to say, she ended up loving the vehicle.

We ended up working out a deal on our trade and on the XC40 after we had already reserved the XC40 on the Volvo website. Then we got an email from Volvo care asking if we were going to complete our purchase. Apparently the dealer got an error when they tried to request the vehicle from the port, so we got assigned another VIN.

The vehicle came to the dealer a little over a week after it was requested from the dealer. On our way to the dealer we get a phone call that the numbers were going to be different than what we had discussed.....I was like oh great, now what. Apparently the destination fee wasn't listed on the pricing from the Volvo website when the dealer wrote it up, so they were supposed to add it in when we wrote up the deal, which they forgot to do (we were the first customers that ordered a Recharge from them using the online method). So they said they would cover $595 of the destination fee and only charged us $500 for the destination fee.....win for us.

We then found out that they were offering the $500 ChargePoint credit or the ChargePoint Home Flex, so we opted for the Home Flex....another major win (hopefully we end up getting it and it works out).

We go to leave the dealer and the car wouldn't go over 25 mph......so back to the dealer we went and had to leave the XC40 at the dealer and take our traded in SUV back home. They got that straightened out and we finally got the car about 2 weeks after our initial dealer visit.

Needless to say, the dealer we dealt with was great and took care of any of the bumps that we encountered. We ended up getting a great trade in deal on her CR-V, got the charge point home flex, got $595 off destination and $1500 off the XC40 between my wife being a teacher and the bonus cash being offered now, plus the .99% for 60 months.

I ended up putting a deposit on a C40 to go along with some other EV deposit's I have to replace the Tesla.

Car Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Automotive parking light Tire Automotive tail & brake light Wheel Vehicle registration plate
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Thanks for the story.

Curious what did they do to fix the 25mph problem? Was it in delivery mode vs customer mode?

·
Registered
298 Posts
As we already covered elsewhere, welcome to the Ohio fold. Guessing you may be on the Tesla C’bus FB group (I was but left it a while ago when we ditched our last Tesla). Similar story: wife had a model Y and she never really loved it. We shopped around, she didn’t like the VW, didnt like the Ford Mach-E. Then as a sort of “lets just go check it out” we looked at Volvo and while I was bland on the range/efficiency, we both loved the fit/finish. She said 5min into test drive “I WANT THIS!” — rest is history, 10k+ miles and 5 months later. We drive it a lot.

MAG is a great dealership. They also always have such fun eye candy there. I bought my 2021 Mini Cooper SE BEV from them (trading in an Audi R8 of all vehicles, haha). Congrats on the XC40 — I actually had a deposit on a C40 in Fjord Blue (with the blue carpet) but felt it was a bit too on the nose against my wife’s XC40 hence why I got the Polestar 2. But we’re still 2x CMA platform cars. Sounds like you may be the same soon. If you’re ever up in the CLE area look me up!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
We then found out that they were offering the $500 ChargePoint credit or the ChargePoint Home Flex, so we opted for the Home Flex....another major win (hopefully we end up getting it and it works out).
They are offering the Changepoint unit again? I thought for 22 it as just the credit.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are offering the Changepoint unit again? I thought for 22 it as just the credit.
The time period for the offer was extended until 11/30/21, but it did say 21MY on the paper. The dealer asked if we wanted the Home Flex unit or the $500 credit, which we chose the Home Flex unit. So I guess we will find out if it goes through or not.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yesterday I cleaned the car and noticed 3 of the 4 wheels have paint damage, so I guess I will be contacting the dealer about that tomorrow to see what they say.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
201 Posts
Yesterday I cleaned the car and noticed 3 of the 4 wheels have paint damage, so I guess I will be contacting the dealer about that tomorrow to see what they say.
If you can snap a picture I will appreciated. I have very minor paint defect on on one of the rails. It is supper hard to notice. Curios how your defect looks like. I cannot provide picture because it is very small and it is hard to see.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you can snap a picture I will appreciated. I have very minor paint defect on on one of the rails. It is supper hard to notice. Curios how your defect looks like. I cannot provide picture because it is very small and it is hard to see.
Two of the wheels have damage on the spokes and another on the face by a lug nut.

Automotive tire Hood Grille Motor vehicle Car
Automotive parking light Grille Automotive lighting Wheel Automotive tire

Automotive parking light Automotive tire Hood Grille Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
201 Posts
Hold on. Another version which is more possible is that when they transport the vehicle on a car carrier vessel that is exact spot where cars are lashed (fastened) with the belts to the ship`s floor. I used to work on car carriers before. I believe that could be the possible reason. Call the dealer and look if you have it on the pictures somewhere. It is hard to see during the excitement of buying the car. I bet $100 that is the reason.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hold on. Another version which is more possible is that when they transport the vehicle on a car carrier vessel that is exact spot where cars are lashed (fastened) with the belts to the ship`s floor. I used to work on car carriers before. I believe that could be the possible reason. Call the dealer and look if you have it on the pictures somewhere. It is hard to see during the excitement of buying the car. I bet $100 that is the reason.
That was my exact thinking to explain the defect on the spokes….transport on the ship or truck. Unfortunately none of my pictures from the dealer are able to show the damage. I’m assuming they would just warranty them out anyway and work with us on this issue, especially since I have a C40 on order too. The damage on the spokes is on the inside lip of the spoke where a strap would ride.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts