Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Completely normal

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I've just taken ownership of an XC40 PHEV and was wondering how you guys are doing with battery. I've found the battery to drain at an incredibly fast rate. Some examples below

Starting Battery (KMs)Ending Battery (KMs)Battery Used (KMs)Actual Distance Driven (KMs)Drive Mode
3113020.2Hybrid
46103616.6Hybrid

What do you think? Seems like I've got a dodgy battery or is this too be expected. Been driving normally on at max about 70km/h. Dealer says it's a new car and needs to be 'driven in'.

·
Registered
T5 R-Design Pro PHEV
1 Posts
Hi all. I've just taken ownership of an XC40 PHEV and was wondering how you guys are doing with battery. I've found the battery to drain at an incredibly fast rate. Some examples below

Starting Battery (KMs)Ending Battery (KMs)Battery Used (KMs)Actual Distance Driven (KMs)Drive Mode
3113020.2Hybrid
46103616.6Hybrid

What do you think? Seems like I've got a dodgy battery or is this too be expected. Been driving normally on at max about 70km/h. Dealer says it's a new car and needs to be 'driven in'.
G’day moedoe, I’m new to the forum, along with my 5 month old T5 PHEV Recharge. I see your post is a couple of months old, just wondered how you’re getting on with your car?

I was disappointed when I first started driving mine, the battery drained pretty quickly. But I hadn’t adopted something I think American’s call ‘one pedal driving’ ie mainly just the gas pedal. Never owned an automatic before, let alone any kind of EV! But I’ve realised that using the gas only when necessary eg to overtake or whilst on a level, helps the hybrid battery power consumption. Coasting and breaking of course triggers the regeneration, but I find only squeezing the gas to maintain speed in traffic helps. Pretty **** obvious! I expect you’ve realised all that by now.

I’ll monitor my journeys over the next week then post. Out of interest do you have a dedicated home charge point? I’m still waiting for mine to be installed, part of the deal with Volvo U.K. - so I’m still plugging in to a domestic power socket.
Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Baz, haven't been driving much TBH due to the recent lockdowns!

Using one pedal driving is definitely something I should get used to using more often. I think that'd be b-mode on the gear box. I find that since b-mode never actually stops the car I have to end up using the brake constantly anyway. In busy metro traffic there isn't really much room for cruising, there's a lot of starting and stopping which I expect further drains the battery. Driving the car in pure mode and asking for more power definitely hammers the battery.

I do have a home charging point, a 3-phase to be exact. It's incredibly overkill it didn't make much sense to change from single to three phase later on and the price difference was insubstantial. Charges my car from zero to full in about 3 hours.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts