Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scenario you are working your way into a small parking spot with things to hit in front and behind.

You are changing from forward to reverse as you do so. After a few transitions you select forward (or reverse). You know you have space to move as you had just inched up tight with the other gear.

Car fails to change gear but instead flashes up a message and a ding sound to let you know you need to press the break and to change the gear again.

If you did not notice this msg you are now in the gear you were in before trying to change gear expecting to move backwards into space but instead you go forward right into the wall you had inched up to.

I have not actually hit anything yet but I intensely dislike the variation in behavior you get from changing gear.

If I select a gear and it works by selecting it 4 times I do not expect it to fail the 5th. This is especially odd as we are using opd and so there is no need to go to the break pedal.
Has anyone else:
A. Had this problem
B. Hit anything due to it
C. Know the exact circumstances that triggers the break pedal being needed
D. Know how I can remove this behavior

Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
A. I have noticed the same behavior. B. 'Haven't hit anything yet. C. I will observe from now on and report back.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am glad I am not the only one. It totally ruins my zen parking auto pilot brain. Of course if the gear stick actually showed the gear you were in this would also help.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I need to add that in. Alas I use muscle memory a lot. Always key bind every action in games. So when my hand says “I just popped it in to forward” my brain assumes it has. Sure there is an alert sound but if parking close to things the other alarms are going off …

You are right. The solution is to slow down. Always glance at the panel in between every gear shift … this just feels so … unflowing. But better than when I am fully relaxed (in a few weeks) and Zipping into the spot. Doing that with a fail would be ugly.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So true.

A hint as to why. I do not think it has ever failed unless I am in proximity of something. This does not mean a bar appears but it does mean an object is within scanner range.

Though I do not think it has happened without something in range it does not happen anywhere near every time something is.

Also if there is something close ahead forward (which I just. Snuggled up to tightly) it seems more likely to block me from going in to reverse. Which is inverse logic.

Actually none of this makes any sense with opd and barely any sense in any drive configuration including ice.

Reactions: Maribo

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Addendum which makes it worse

Had to talked to family about this so when I was parking we were all in the car.

There was no audio alarm the first time the “you must press the break key alarm came up”. There were no other audio alarms going off and no music / phone calls.

Later on there was an audio alarm when the message came up.

This explains why I have missed the alarm in the past. The inconsistent use of the audio channel as well as when the behavior happens is dangerous.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts