Volvo XC40 Forum banner

201 - 220 of 264 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
- "Jeff" should be the "Ambassador" to this Forum representing Volvo N.America

- My sales guy just called, saying they could build the new spec I wanted through the "second batch" as it hasn't gone through the complete assembly line yet. Due to arrive end of June (2 months vs. up to 4 months if built from ground up). Until then, I'm thankful for the Loaner to be acquainted with in terms of size and navigation. For folks in the DFW area, head to Grubbs Volvo in Grapevine, ask for Daniel.

-- According to the XC40 Manual (from current Loaner car) supposedly there's a "Cooler" option in the glove compartment, a toggle to switch it on/off, operable when the Car is on.
HHhmm....... interesting!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Got an email from Jeff this morning. Heat pump is keeping the car at the port until they hear from Sweden. I guess they are using carrier pigeons to communicate with the home base....

I hope others are having more luck than me in NY.
Nope. I’m in upstate NY and would not have known about the delay of my heat pump equipped order if not for this forum. Last time I complained to Corporate a month ago, they told me they had sent a notice to an email I haven’t used for 12 years and for which the server is long gone, so no way to forward. From what I hear here, I don’t know if they ignored my request to update the email to the address I used on the GxxDxxx order in October! Or if they are simply gone dark. Still debating if they deserve $60K of my hard-earned money.

I can’t remember the precise phrasing of the condition for cancelling, whether it was once it shipped, reached port, or reached dealer. Does anyone have that at hand? I could easily be convinced to wait another year for the beta test to be over.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
98 Posts
Nope. I’m in upstate NY and would not have known about the delay of my heat pump equipped order if not for this forum. Last time I complained to Corporate a month ago, they told me they had sent a notice to an email I haven’t used for 12 years and for which the server is long gone, so no way to forward. From what I hear here, I don’t know if they ignored my request to update the email to the address I used on the GxxDxxx order in October! Or if they are simply gone dark. Still debating if they deserve $60K of my hard-earned money.

I can’t remember the precise phrasing of the condition for cancelling, whether it was once it shipped, reached port, or reached dealer. Does anyone have that at hand? I could easily be convinced to wait another year for the beta test to be over.
I'm one foot out the door - and if corporate doesn't want to refund I plan to let the credit card company handle it and just provide the dealer bulletin that they are holding cars due to Heat Pump issue. Just waiting for a suitable option to confirm cancelation.

·
Registered
72 Posts

I believe the amount $500-$1k that most have shared is merely for "Reservation" purposes to collectively obtain an idea of Sales demand to be reported (like the Tesla truck, reservation volume were reported to fuel the craze in the beginning while cancellations were happening at the same time) Plus, you haven't taken possession of the physical Car yet - shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
72 Posts
What's more perplexing at this point is WHY some Dealers are holding the cars with HP option while others are not ?? SAME assembly line structures, SAME origin. The bigger problem would be IF Dealers are releasing the car due to ZERO knowledge of the HP issue ?

Dallas, TX: My dealer (Crest Volvo) had just left a message stating the Cars are now on-site if I STILL wanted it (that had HP option selection) but he's also the SAME person I was having integrity and unsettling moments with so NO I'd moved on to another Dealer. Another poster here is also in Dallas (Park Place Volvo) and his already driving his car ! With HP, and no issues with AC so far.

This is interesting..........

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
98 Posts
I believe the amount $500-$1k that most have shared is merely for "Reservation" purposes to collectively obtain an idea of Sales demand to be reported (like the Tesla truck, reservation volume were reported to fuel the craze in the beginning while cancellations were happening at the same time) Plus, you haven't taken possession of the physical Car yet - shouldn't be an issue.
This is what Volvo Corporate had sent me when I asked for confirmation back when we configured in October 2020. Delivery can be taken as assuming ownership of the vehicle.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
What's more perplexing at this point is WHY some Dealers are holding the cars with HP option while others are not ?? SAME assembly line structures, SAME origin. The bigger problem would be IF Dealers are releasing the car due to ZERO knowledge of the HP issue ?

Dallas, TX: My dealer (Crest Volvo) had just left a message stating the Cars are now on-site if I STILL wanted it (that had HP option selection) but he's also the SAME person I was having integrity and unsettling moments with so NO I'd moved on to another Dealer. Another poster here is also in Dallas (Park Place Volvo) and his already driving his car ! With HP, and no issues with AC so far.

This is interesting..........
As I have previously noted, I have the heat pump and the A/C works without any issues. If there is a problem, I am unaware of any cooling issue in my vehicle.

Others who have taken delivery with the heat pump have not reported any issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So far no issues with AC, though it hasn’t been terribly hot yet. Nor have I driven in the heat of the day yet. There’s supposed to be a heat pump in the car... but I haven’t seen anything that’s indicating it’s there or not other than the window sticker. Who knows.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello folks.
So glad I found this forum. If not I would of thought the Volvo dealership near me had an issue with me.

I have a question that should not need to be a question but alas is.

How do you know your car really has the heat pump? Is there is system setting that reports it?

I know sounds paranoid but the way my order is going paranoia is definitely growing.

Cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Has anyone considered or priced a lease on this vehicle? Given this only gets 200 miles or so, I am afraid of resale value in a few years and possibility of most EV's getting far better range by that time. Also anyone look at buying/leasing one of the dealer demo Recharges?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was contacted Friday by the dealer to come get my car. I went and had a horrible experience. The car wasn't ready, they wouldn't take my check, etc. I left and sent a nasty email to the manager. Yesterday they delivered the car to my house and took my money greedily. I haven't even driven it yet except to move it out of the driveway and back into my garage. My L2 charging unit is on the wrong side of the garage for the Volvo, although I can stretch it across the back if I pull in straight. It was the right side for my previous EV, a Leaf. In general, I think the problems aren't so much the delays as rushing it out too fast. They fell way behind due to the pandemic and then felt compelled to get the car delivered to us early adopters who'd plunked down our money. On Call isn't ready yet. The orange key doesn't work yet. Other features won't be there until December or 2022. Still, this is a vastly superior car to the Leaf and it's finally here.
I picked up my Recharge on Saturday. Bursting Blue is really more of a beautiful sapphire. Everything is working perfectly so far. Liked my Google account in the Profile, connected my phone. Car drives like a dream. I scared the **** out of my wife when I floored it on an open stretch without warning her, as it accelerated so quickly. Different from others, we had an amazing experience at the dealer and walked out with a much better deal than we had coming in.

So, a note for some of you regarding financing and extended warranties. Financing: Volvo is not offering zero or tiny interest rates to sell these cars. We got a good rate from our Credit Union of 2.59% for 36 months. When the dealer's Finance manager looked at our credit scores, he told us that we were in Volvo Finacial Services Tier 1, so he could offer us 1.99% for 60 months. Not only was that a better rate, but it allowed us to roll our extended warranty into the loan.

Extended contract: We keep our cars forever - 10-20 years. Dealership mechanics hourly is $175/hour so lost anything costs more than a $1000 once you are off warranty. The basic warranty on the XC40 P8 Recharge is 4 years/50k miles with 8 years/100k on the battery. We looked at extended warranties offered by our credit union (aftermarket Mercury 7 years/100k miles for $2480); another one offered by our dealer (8 year or 10 year/100k for $4100-4300), and a Volvo one for 11 year/150k from other Dealers that my brother, in the business, contacted with listed at $7600, but would give him a $1000-1500 discount, bringing it down to $6100 as a "special favor". So, the last one would get us 7 extra years and 100k extra miles of coverage for $871 in today's dollars. So, with inflation over a decade, I feel that was a pretty good insurance policy. Now, here's the kicker. I told the financial manager at our dealer while we were there to pick up the car that we were interested in the Volvo manufacturers extended warranty for 11 years/150k miles and asked what he could do. He looked it up and said he could sell it to me for $5910... that was their discounted price for Costco members!! So, now $844/year for the extra 7 years. Can you imagine paying less than that for any serious breakdown in an 11-year-old car in 2032?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too generally keep cars for 10 years or so. Twelve new cars and I have never bought an extended warrantee, and have never had a case where one would have been worth the price. Perhaps I am due to get burned 😳.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone considered or priced a lease on this vehicle? Given this only gets 200 miles or so, I am afraid of resale value in a few years and possibility of most EV's getting far better range by that time. Also anyone look at buying/leasing one of the dealer demo Recharges?
I had a quote for the lease. The problem is you’re looking at a 51/52% residual value so you will be paying upwards of $900 per month on a 10k/36mth lease with $0 down. No way would I buy the first gen of anything. But I’ve already backed out of this (although the local dealer hasn’t acknowledged my email and the email to Volvo For Life got bounced... I called customer support and they said they would “escalate” my case. Just give me $1k back!).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't think I would buy a 1st gen EV at 200 mile charge capacity. In a few years they will be much better. I know leasing is not for everyone, I would think you could get some of the rebate built into the lease.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't think I would buy a 1st gen EV at 200 mile charge capacity. In a few years they will be much better. I know leasing is not for everyone, I would think you could get some of the rebate built into the lease.
They said it will get even longer range by over-the-air updates but I'm starting not to trust anything. I ordered this car in Nov and it's still stuck at port with heat pump issue. I might bail out - so disappointing!!! My car is supposed to be in Baltimore port.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well for those still waiting on your P8 with a hold on the heat pump. The AC issue may be true. Drove around today in the heat of the day and it’s definitely having a hard time keeping up. So I’m curious those who have taken delivery with a heat pump have you run the car above 80degrees and is your ac working well? I’m not sure it’s worth bringing in at this point? Do we know if it’s a software fix or mechanical?
Signed,
Getting a little warm under the collar.

201 - 220 of 264 Posts