Volvo XC40 Forum banner

181 - 200 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was contacted Friday by the dealer to come get my car. I went and had a horrible experience. The car wasn't ready, they wouldn't take my check, etc. I left and sent a nasty email to the manager. Yesterday they delivered the car to my house and took my money greedily. I haven't even driven it yet except to move it out of the driveway and back into my garage. My L2 charging unit is on the wrong side of the garage for the Volvo, although I can stretch it across the back if I pull in straight. It was the right side for my previous EV, a Leaf. In general, I think the problems aren't so much the delays as rushing it out too fast. They fell way behind due to the pandemic and then felt compelled to get the car delivered to us early adopters who'd plunked down our money. On Call isn't ready yet. The orange key doesn't work yet. Other features won't be there until December or 2022. Still, this is a vastly superior car to the Leaf and it's finally here.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I picked up my car from dealer on Friday. Haven't driven it much, but its working very well. I have the heat pump option. Dealer told me about the AC issue (I knew anyway from this board), and said I could take delivery if I wanted or they could hold it pending fix.
Congrats on getting the car - once you have used it for a few days it would be nice to hear what kind of mileage you get on a charge and how long it takes to charge and just some general use experiences!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was contacted Friday by the dealer to come get my car. I went and had a horrible experience. The car wasn't ready, they wouldn't take my check, etc. I left and sent a nasty email to the manager. Yesterday they delivered the car to my house and took my money greedily. I haven't even driven it yet except to move it out of the driveway and back into my garage. My L2 charging unit is on the wrong side of the garage for the Volvo, although I can stretch it across the back if I pull in straight. It was the right side for my previous EV, a Leaf. In general, I think the problems aren't so much the delays as rushing it out too fast. They fell way behind due to the pandemic and then felt compelled to get the car delivered to us early adopters who'd plunked down our money. On Call isn't ready yet. The orange key doesn't work yet. Other features won't be there until December or 2022. Still, this is a vastly superior car to the Leaf and it's finally here.
It seems dealer issues are one of the main concerns - would be best to make sure the owner is made aware of the issues and provide some sort of remedy or in the very least an apology for the type of service you have experienced. After you have used the car a few days it would be nice to hear your experience with it both in general and also what type of mileage you experience on a charge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
After months of poor/incorrect/missing updates from my Dealer and of course poor "Jeff", I just terminated my pre-order. Sad, because I was genuinely looking forward to a new XC40 Recharge. I am a loyal XC90 T6 owner, that I just bought off lease it has been so good over the last 3 years. But the bitter taste for the disregard of my loyalty by both the Dealer and Corporate mean I won't be driving a Volvo again. Probably go the e-Tron route, but no rush now (I was going to replace the XC90 with the XC40, but the delays meant that wasn't really an option I wanted to pay for). I hope you all have better luck, and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
After months of poor/incorrect/missing updates from my Dealer and of course poor "Jeff", I just terminated my pre-order. Sad, because I was genuinely looking forward to a new XC40 Recharge. I am a loyal XC90 T6 owner, that I just bought off lease it has been so good over the last 3 years. But the bitter taste for the disregard of my loyalty by both the Dealer and Corporate mean I won't be driving a Volvo again. Probably go the e-Tron route, but no rush now (I was going to replace the XC90 with the XC40, but the delays meant that wasn't really an option I wanted to pay for). I hope you all have better luck, and enjoy the ride!
I saw your message just as I was composing my email to Volvo USA and the Seattle Volvo dealership to let them know that I am canceling my pre-order, which I placed in October 2020. I paid off the lease of my current XC60 T8 and am waiting for the XC60 title to arrive. I am in no rush now. I was in a rush earlier because my lease was ending, and the State registration expired in Feb. Yes, I made the poor decision to lease for 39 months instead of 36 months. I am sticking with the PHEV XC60 T8 with 18K miles for now.

I am sad and angry with Volvo and the local dealership about how shoddily they handled the new vehicle rollout and how they treated me. On the positive side, both Jeffrey and the local product launch manager Austin were wonderful people to work with - professional and responsive. But the sales manager treated me like I was a pain in the neck for him (which I was not). I am learning from this forum about how other dealerships were nicer to their established customers who were in a similar quandary (expired registration or sold their car expecting a delivery sooner). But my dealer did not offer any such options or a loaner. The sales manager did not return my email and gave me curt, irritated answers when I approached him in person. I have already switched my current Volvo's service to another dealership in Lynnwood - just a few miles north. Bye, bye to Volvo Seattle after 3+ years of being a customer!

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
97 Posts
Princeton, NJ dealer?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I picked up my car from dealer on Friday. Haven't driven it much, but its working very well. I have the heat pump option. Dealer told me about the AC issue (I knew anyway from this board), and said I could take delivery if I wanted or they could hold it pending fix.
Can I ask where your located? I was told they are not releasing any of the units with the heat pump from the port. So that’s interesting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I saw your message just as I was composing my email to Volvo USA and the Seattle Volvo dealership to let them know that I am canceling my pre-order, which I placed in October 2020. I paid off the lease of my current XC60 T8 and am waiting for the XC60 title to arrive. I am in no rush now. I was in a rush earlier because my lease was ending, and the State registration expired in Feb. Yes, I made the poor decision to lease for 39 months instead of 36 months. I am sticking with the PHEV XC60 T8 with 18K miles for now.

I am sad and angry with Volvo and the local dealership about how shoddily they handled the new vehicle rollout and how they treated me. On the positive side, both Jeffrey and the local product launch manager Austin were wonderful people to work with - professional and responsive. But the sales manager treated me like I was a pain in the neck for him (which I was not). I am learning from this forum about how other dealerships were nicer to their established customers who were in a similar quandary (expired registration or sold their car expecting a delivery sooner). But my dealer did not offer any such options or a loaner. The sales manager did not return my email and gave me curt, irritated answers when I approached him in person. I have already switched my current Volvo's service to another dealership in Lynnwood - just a few miles north. Bye, bye to Volvo Seattle after 3+ years of being a customer!
I also live in Seattle, ordered my Recharge on line, but I am having the automobile delivered to the Volvo dealership in Portland. Seattle Volvo didn’t give me a secure feeling. After reading your post, my vibe was right on. That being said, all these issues with the car itself are a warning. Volvo hasn’t worked out the problems with this new release. Consumer magazines warn against buying a car in its first year. I thought modern technology made that point moot. I guess not. I will cancel my order also. Thanks to this forum, I am more aware and informed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Volvo hasn’t worked out the problems with this new release. Consumer magazines warn against buying a car in its first year. I thought modern technology made that point moot. I guess not. I will cancel my order also. Thanks to this forum, I am more aware and informed.
When we bought our Tesla Model 3 sight unseen on April 1, 2016 by putting down a refundable $1000 deposit, many reputable journals, consumer magazines, and "experts" seemed to be unanimously and unequivocally telling the world to not trust Tesla. The dominant message coming from them was that the Model 3, particularly at the infamous $35,000 price point, was nothing more than a fairy tale product of Elon Musk's fertile imagination. My wife and I hung in there though, despite the negative vibes everywhere, and then years later on April 1, 2018 we were surprised to get an e-mail from Tesla in California, inviting us to build our Model 3 online, with delivery targeted a further 6-8 weeks. While there wasn't much "building" that could be done except color selection (all of these first production cars already had all the options that Tesla offered), we were happy to put down another $3,000 to seal the deal, at which point the money became a non-refundable deposit.

Lo and behold, at the end of May 2018 my wife and I picked up our car. Yes, there were numerous teething issues and problems with our car (including one that froze an OTA software update mid-way thru download and "bricked" the car necessitating flat-bedding it for repairs to the nearest Tesla service center hundreds of miles away). It decidedly felt that Tesla was doing most of the new car's prototyping and development by having owners be the guinea pigs. There were many options that took months to come down to our car via software updates, and Full Self Driving, the most expensive option at almost $8,000 paid up front, has never been delivered to anyone who ordered it at the time of this writing, and don't know if it ever will be. But at 3 years ownership now, although it's been "updated" by a constant flow of 50+ OTA software downloads and the car is indeed fine, Tesla corporate still presents painful problems to its customers - no returned calls; numerous manufacturing flaws that have never been acknowledged; lack of service centers locations contrary to promises; ever-changing prices of cars in the model range or random re-pricing or deletion of some options without rhyme or reason; no freedom to have any body work done at your own-choice bodyshop as Tesla does not sell repair parts to other than their proprietary "certified" shops; inconsistent repair rates including erroneous billing; routine work that is designated as DIY but in reality requires a shop visit, and so on. Despite these issues, we are still glad we bought the car, and have never had any regrets as it is a genuinely innovative and satisfying driving experience.

Bottom line: Our experience w/ Tesla has convinced us that the Volvo XC40 is already way ahead of competitors. It's a great package and realistically, there is nothing in its size and premium price class that is a tangible or viable option today. Although Volvo and some franchised dealers appear to be the bottleneck at this early stage of Volvo's first pure EV launch, my wife and I are confident that the XC40 as a product will prevail and offer everything we hope for in a very positive way, and Volvo the company will learn and improve in terms of customer communications as it transitions into the EV world. I would encourage those who are thinking of cancelling their orders at this stage solely because of anger directed at the company/dealer to perhaps pause and reconsider just a bit more as to what drew you to the XC40 in the first place. It would be a shame to lose the opportunity to enjoy such a fine car just because of current annoyance with some misbehaving dealerships.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My wife and I seriously considered the XC40 Recharge, due to it being the right size and having a generally good fit and finish in the interior. We backed away because it was not perfect (no choice but black for the interior, for example), it was still quite a long wait, and the dealer wanted almost full MSRP. Paying full MSRP is counter-cultural.

After reading about the problems, I suspect we may have made the right choice. Unless my wife loves the car we do get (possibly an Audi e-Tron) we’ll look at the Volvo again in a couple of years. There will be more choices in that size of car, and Volvo will have worked out the kinks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well you and I are 2 of their 5 pre orders. Sadly I’m having similar story with communication and lack of info. Curious to see what information I get Monday after I pushed back on corporate offer for delays with heat pump.
Good luck. I have had weird issues with management and general incompetence with that dealership for years. But I burnt every bridge today with my emails to them and corporate today (and a very weird phone call to US corporate today, where they said it wasn’t straightforward to cancel my preorder). I probably could have handled my side better, but... meh, I’m not the one needing them.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Got notified today the P8 has arrived at the dealership. (Dallas) ordered with heat pump. No notification about any issues from Volvo. Any concerns from this group about taking delivery?
If I may ask, which Dallas Dealership is that ? Did they release the vehicle to you with the HP option ? How do you like the car so far ?

1) Just 2 days ago I had cancelled my reservation from CrestVolvo strictly to the overall integrity and ignorance of my Sales person who was dismissing my questions, comments, and concerns for a month and debated repeatedly with me of how my tech specifications were incorrect - and denied ANY software incompletion although I had shown him reports from other Dealers. So it was more of a personal experience rather than the car itself

2) I did turn around the same day to "re-build" and reserved a new spec with GrubbsVolvo in Grapevine (without HP and selected 19" wheel instead) -- without even suggesting it, they gave me a an XC40 T4 loaner to hold on to until the P8 arrives (which could be 2-3 months time). The sales consultant was straight up with me from the get-go, he was aware of the list of concerns and was focusing on the "customer experience" aspect - which I was super appreciative of

·
Registered
9 Posts
If I may ask, which Dallas Dealership is that ? Did they release the vehicle to you with the HP option ? How do you like the car so far ?

1) Just 2 days ago I had cancelled my reservation from CrestVolvo strictly to the overall integrity and ignorance of my Sales person who was dismissing my questions, comments, and concerns for a month and debated repeatedly with me of how my tech specifications were incorrect - and denied ANY software incompletion although I had shown him reports from other Dealers. So it was more of a personal experience rather than the car itself

2) I did turn around the same day to "re-build" and reserved a new spec with GrubbsVolvo in Grapevine (without HP and selected 19" wheel instead) -- without even suggesting it, they gave me a an XC40 T4 loaner to hold on to until the P8 arrives (which could be 2-3 months time). The sales consultant was straight up with me from the get-go, he was aware of the list of concerns and was focusing on the "customer experience" aspect - which I was super appreciative of
Park Place Volvo. Overall process was smooth. They knew nothing of the Heat Pump issues being raised in these forums. I showed them a copy of the email that was shared and they went to check to see if that had it. They did not. As such I could only assume that the heat pump issue was for specific cars. AC seems to be working... though I would expect colder with a new car.

While nice, they're generally in the dark about features and specifics. I knew a lot more from reading this forum than they did. Which is fine... I figured that would happen being one of the first batch of cars to come in.

I'll say one thing... it's fun to drive! Thunder gray came out a lot better than I was expecting too. My only regret is the black interior... I'm going to order the rubber mats after seeing what a a few days of dirt can do.

Sounds like you made the right decision with Grubbs. Park Place has been nice to work with.. just a little ill informed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Park Place Volvo. Overall process was smooth. They knew nothing of the Heat Pump issues being raised in these forums. I showed them a copy of the email that was shared and they went to check to see if that had it. They did not. As such I could only assume that the heat pump issue was for specific cars. AC seems to be working... though I would expect colder with a new car.

While nice, they're generally in the dark about features and specifics. I knew a lot more from reading this forum than they did. Which is fine... I figured that would happen being one of the first batch of cars to come in.

I'll say one thing... it's fun to drive! Thunder gray came out a lot better than I was expecting too. My only regret is the black interior... I'm going to order the rubber mats after seeing what a a few days of dirt can do.

Sounds like you made the right decision with Grubbs. Park Place has been nice to work with.. just a little ill informed.
Ditto on all your comments - Congratulations !
Likewise, I cannot be more thankful for this Forum and definitely have more insights than the Sales folks - In all fairness, we focus on THE car we're buying while the Sales guys have many other Models and sub-models to be verse in.

If I had lived closer, Park Place would have been my choice as well - have always heard good things. What CrestVolvo doesn't realize (or should I say the Sales Person) is that these days, social media and crowdsourcing are very influential (in both good and bad opinions). Hope ALL car dealers are aware of that especially in the EV market when it's still so new to the world - the Customers are more knowledgeable now unlike the old days. EV market is a whole new ball game, they HAVE to know the Products before geek attack of questions !

·
Registered
29 Posts

Based on your note - it looks like most of the issues people are experiencing is 98% dealer related vs. manufacture/vehicle. Sound like the new dealer you are working with is definitely focused on providing the customer the best experience possible and works with the manufacturer which they are supposed to do to make the dealing seamless.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Based on your note - it looks like most of the issues people are experiencing is 98% dealer related vs. manufacture/vehicle. Sound like the new dealer you are working with is definitely focused on providing the customer the best experience possible and works with the manufacturer which they are supposed to do to make the dealing seamless.
Sort of. But Volvo tried to go hybrid direct to the consumer with the pre-order model. I placed my order last August. Communication has been patchy. Then when the whole "stop sell" occurred, no one took responsibility. The dealers didn't seem to have any info, silence from Corporate. It has only been this forum that seemed to have any information.
So, yes, many of the dealers have not treated us, the consumer well, but Corporate are actually responsible for the issues with the car. Hence my frustration, anger, now ambivalence to both.

·
Registered
67 Posts
At the end, the Dealers have direct engagement with the Customers. Minimally, Dealers should facilitate any damage control to keep the calm in the market while pressing Corp for answers, like timeline of availability, fixes etc. Corporate should also consider providing some sort of incentives at national level to mitigate cancellations - There are other Cars out there to steal market share. Generally, customers are reasonable when acknowledged and if you incentivize them (even something small), you will still get a bite on the market.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Got an email from Jeff this morning. Heat pump is keeping the car at the port until they hear from Sweden. I guess they are using carrier pigeons to communicate with the home base....

I hope others are having more luck than me in NY.

181 - 200 of 262 Posts