Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So …. Car is meant to not hit things.

Was chatting with a fireman about it today she was joking that we should test it. This had been going through my head for a few days… I declined though.

I am curious Will it stop me hitting a wall. The back of a car. Reversing into a wall etc.

I cannot bring myself to point Margo at another car to test it.
A) non consensual bumping is well non consensual and consent is important.
B) even if someone said sure drive it at my car see if it stops … well it’s my new car so … no.

Anyone had a non accident or an accident this did or should of stoped.

Curious but will wait for others real life stories :)

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
257 Posts
It wasn't intentional, but I came close once this week. The detection system got loud and vibe-y when some traffic slammed on brakes at 60+ mph as I just looked overy shoulder to change a lane. I did the braking immediately but if the car was going to on my behalf, it probably would have within a split second. I do credit it for seeing before I did!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice!!

I read somewhere that it will in an emergency steer away from a collision. Not sure if I read that correctly though and cannot find the source.

I do remember that it warns them breaks and it performed as advertised for you.

Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: sbixby

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had it happen while driving a demo. 25 mph traffic came to an abrupt stop while I was poking at the screen. The Seat belt tensioned and yanked me back against the seat, and it hit the brakes HARD. Maybe too hard, but it was effective. 👍

FWIW, at the time I thought it was too aggressive in taking action - I didn't think I was THAT close to hitting anyone, but it did rattle me.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice to know it works thanks :)

Did you get the alert sounds before car daddy took over?

·
Registered
118 Posts
There may have been an alert sound, but it all happened so fast that I don't recall. Definitely recall the seat belt tensioning!

·
Premium Member
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
240 Posts
I do wonder about the efficacy of the collision avoidance system, but don’t want to test it. About as scary a trust exercise as driving our daughter’s M3 with Autopilot on. And, yes, I’ve tried Pilot Assist but only on limited access, divided highways. Given the stellar job Volvo engineers did with the VOC software it’s not unreasonable to be leery of their work on Pilot Assist.

I also wonder about the brake lights when using OPD and regen braking. I know what the manual says, but I almost got rear-ended by a BMW when test driving a MY using OPD. I’d be more confident if the brake lights on the avatar in car-centric mode for the instrument display lit up when braking.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That would be a nice feature to see the break lights in the avatar. Maybe one day we will get that.

Have a friend follow you and coordinate doing opd over a cell (hands free) to calibrate how much opd triggers the break lights.

Of course historically you could engine break and hill break to decelerate without break lights.

As to testing the collision detection I canna do it.

Testing the pilot assist at 70mph (speed limit) scared the {^}^ out of me. Now I find that there is a 75 mph limit … I assume it takes time to process and respond …

Oh well these are just in case things we never had ( or some of us never had ) before so it’s al gravy do to speak.

Reactions: Cuelaw57

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8, sage green, DOM 09/20, 19” wheels, heat pump, kernel ver Jul 27, 2021, No OTA yet.
18 Posts
I was waiting to turn left in an intersection. The light turned yellow, then red, then my green left turn arrow came on. I pressed the accelerator to make my left turn and out of the corner of my eye I see an oncoming car gunning it through the intersection on the now red light. I went to brake but the car was faster and more forceful as I felt the brake pedal fall below my foot. And to top it off, I was just holding the wheel straight bracing for possible impact at the front right but my car swerved hard to the right and away from the other car and then stopped. Somehow I had missed hitting the other car. Then it put a message on the screen that said “Collision Avoidance System Has Been Activated. Are You OK?”. **** ya! I’m a believer. The car saved itself and me!

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
257 Posts
I was waiting to turn left in an intersection. The light turned yellow, then red, then my green left turn arrow came on. I pressed the accelerator to make my left turn and out of the corner of my eye I see an oncoming car gunning it through the intersection on the now red light. I went to brake but the car was faster and more forceful as I felt the brake pedal fall below my foot. And to top it off, I was just holding the wheel straight bracing for possible impact at the front right but my car swerved hard to the right and away from the other car and then stopped. Somehow I had missed hitting the other car. Then it put a message on the screen that said “Collision Avoidance System Has Been Activated. Are You OK?”. **** ya! I’m a believer. The car saved itself and me!
Excellent! Thanks for being a test mule. :oops:

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow thank you. That is exactly the information that makes me happy and confirms the car does what it should. **** I teared up a bit at the car saving you :) did you take it out for a nice wax after to say thank you?

Please to others carry on relaying your collision stories be it good or bad.

Huzzah. Almost a transformers in disguise moment :)

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8, sage green, DOM 09/20, 19” wheels, heat pump, kernel ver Jul 27, 2021, No OTA yet.
18 Posts
Wow thank you. That is exactly the information that makes me happy and confirms the car does what it should. **** I teared up a bit at the car saving you :) did you take it out for a nice wax after to say thank you?

Please to others carry on relaying your collision stories be it good or bad.

Huzzah. Almost a transformers in disguise moment :)
Yes, Absolutely. Hand wash only. As long as it takes care of me, I’ll continue to take care of it!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Amen. My car only gets hand washed and lovingly waxed :). Having ceramic nano coat water repellent applied on the glass tomorrow am rather excited about it :)

Reactions: He Keith

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Amen. My car only gets hand washed and lovingly waxed :). Having ceramic nano coat water repellent applied on the glass tomorrow am rather excited about it :)
I just have the car GTechniq coated and then wash and dry and done. Did that on last car, looked new 3 years after I got it and water beaded every time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Testing the pilot assist at 70mph (speed limit) scared the {^}^ out of me. Now I find that there is a 75 mph limit … I assume it takes time to process and respond …
I used Pilot Assist up to 85mph this past weekend and it worked ok. Definitely didn't trust it though.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I was in a parking lot at the local park after a run and was backing out of my parking spot. It's a wide area between cars on opposing sides (23 feet bumper to bumper) so plenty of room to cut the wheel and go. I had checked and no other cars near me or across were idling or moving. Suddenly an orange streak crossed my backup screen and a loud urgent wail was emitted. A runner had run at full speed along the far side of the clear area so as not to be in my path. I was impressed with the speed and sensitivity to pick him up at that distance. He was leaning and wasn't much taller than the SUV's and pickup trucks lining the opposite side, so the lidar or whatever it is picked up the movement. The car didn't brake for me and by the time I could have reacted the runner was out of the lot and on the trail.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I so wish every car had these features. Maybe someday soon.

·
Premium Member
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
240 Posts
I got my first collision avoidance warning today. Car in front of me was making a slow RH turn and I had not let up on the accelerator pedal or stepped on the brake. It wasn’t close and no braking applied. But, it was nice to know my P8 was watching out for me.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I got my first warning yesterday. I merged onto the freeway and needed to merge left again to get out of the exit only lane. As I started to move into the empty space to my left, a car one lane farther over decided to merge right into the same spot. I swerved away at the same time the Volvo did its own thing. The other car did, too. I felt like I was in control at all times, but the message of collision avoidance activated came on.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wife(2) was reversing in a car park when a pair of grannies rushed out from behind a bush. She started to break but the car did not think it was enough and with alarms going off it depressed the break pedal out from under her foot.

Nifty

1 - 20 of 21 Posts