Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been playing with adaptive cruise controlt. It works well on the high way. As it has a minimum speed setting of 20 I wondered what would happen if I used it in the city. Low and be hold it works perfectly in stop and go traffic. Bringing you all the way to stop and when the car moves off we go again with no intervention on the pedal needed.

Perhaps everyone else knew this but to me this is a nice option for both stop and go in the city and highway stop and go when I am not in optimization movement mode :)

Caveat. Red lights. If you are at the front of the line it will not stop you so you will have to do it by hand. Once moving you can hit the button and it will resume adaptive mode. Also for city best to set distance to minimum.

Another note is that the auto steering also works but that still freaks me out.

Cheers

·
Registered
175 Posts
Having owned Tesla vehicles since 2014, we've had a chance (my wife/I) to watch their growth in this whole "semi autonomous" space. Our most recent vehicle was the 2020 Model Y we traded in for the XC40 and it has the "basic" autopilot features (read: not the $10k poorly named "Full Self Driving"). From videos we've probably all seen on YouTube, the $10k package does allow some owners to now let their car handle turns, auto lane changes, and even stop signs/red lights. That is very cool stuff!

In the ~400 miles and 48-hours we've had our XC40 P8, I did precisely what you talked about on city streets. If found it worked ok-- except, it really HATES curbs. Did you find that too, or did that not apply to where you drove? What I mean is that the "auto lane keep" part of the Pilot Assist kept me closer to the center of the road than it did to the curb-- something about the curbs "scared" it so that it favored the LEFT side of the lanes (rather than the right/curb/sidewalk direction). Not a big deal, although if someone was in a middle turning lane, it got awfully close to almost knocking off their side view mirror LOL

PS: If you think auto steer on the Volvo freaks you out, go test drive a Tesla even w/just basic "autopilot" -- its def a leap of faith -- but its more robust. I have found in our ~300 mile drive yesterday than the self centering and heavy interchange turns in the Tesla required a lot LESS input from the driver, whereas the Volvo is more "hands on" -- which may not be a bad thing, but it def makes the Tesla "Feel" more semi autonomous, compared to the "aid" that the Volvo provides.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the Info. Sounds like Tesla is ahead due to technology or ahead due to risking it. Volvo is very careful which I like :)

Did not notice the curb fear but was mainly on single lane roads. I did find the … adaptive cannot deploy under 10 mph if there is no car to follow.

I probably will never really use the auto drive in general but I need to get used to it to the point where if I am getting my sunglasses out somewhere I cannot pull over I feel safe in a) assessing this is a road it can follow. B) what it feels like in my hand when it is driving and c) faith it will not kill me as I look away :). Am getting there.

A feature I would love to see is red light alert. Rarely needed but when it is. By this i mean for the car to see the red light and alert the driver. I often see out of towners miss badly placed red lights. Same for stop signs.

Thinking of cameras has Anyone tried the app that lets you remotely see what’s going on around your car when you are away from it?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I worry about giving 3rd party access to things. But here are links to two apps that might work.

Reactions: arijaycomet

·
Registered
175 Posts
First off — @SeattleCat — I’d totally agree with the comment about “risking it” — I’ve always said that I think Tesla has not choice but to take chances, to really assert themselves. It has worked for them, gaining a name, and notoriety. Even the bad news of the idiot in the back seat of his Tesla recently, is still publicity. Bad news is still attention, and the name Tesla is a hot one so media grabs it and runs with it. But agree, big names like Volvo, Mercedes, wont take the risks. They will go slower at semi auto driving, and smart for them to do that. So yep, 100% What you said!

Secondly — those apps are very cool. But to make that work you have to get a DVR inside your car too? It seems like a great concept. Our last 2x Tesla had the “cam” recording features. Only problem is that it drained the big battery, which never totally made sense (how much power does it really take to power cameras and motion sensors?). I’d love to see other car makers do this, though. We have a 360 camera system, give us a place to plug a HDD into a USB and let it record! At least while driving, if nothing else. (We technically have 5 cameras on the car, if you include the one up top in the rearview mirror housing that does the lane keep assist features)

·
Registered
428 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ops did not know there was Volvo Dvr. Silly me. I assumed the android system would have capacity to temporarily store.

What I really wants though was real time camera access. Be able to drop in to the cameras and see what’s going on :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
What I really wants though was real time camera access. Be able to drop in to the cameras and see what’s going on :)
Agree. Something like Tesla’s “Sentry Mode” (motion/proximity activated alert & video recording) would be great to have, as would just the ability to view the live stream from any of the vehicle’s cameras on demand. The hardware is all there. Where’s the official XC40 Feature Request page?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts