Volvo XC40 Forum banner

What colour would you choose for your XC40?

• Fjord Blue

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Sage Green

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Onyx Black

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Black Stone

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Fusion Red

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Thunder Gray

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Silver Dawn

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Bright Dusk

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Crystal White

Votes: 6 15.4%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had placed an order with the local dealer back in January for a MY22 XC40 T5 R-Design and I had settled on the Fusion Red with the black roof.

After Volvo cancelled all pending MY22 orders I was informed I was going to be offered a MY23 Ultimate Dark model but the MY23 model does not come with a black roof.

I think the Fusion Red is a bit too much without the two tone. There are new colours on the palette for the MY23 model and I am seriously considering the Fjord Blue.

What are your opinions on the MY23 XC40 colours?
Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel

Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
Dead '22 XC40 Pure Elec.
49 Posts
The very first brand new car I ever bought (Nissan S15 Silvia / 200SX) - was black. It was the last time I would ever buy a black car. I wouldn't recommend black to anybody. They're impossible to keep clean (anything not blacker than the car [which is everything on the planet] shows up). And things like scratches, swirl marks, water marks become so visible. It is the hardest colour (maybe apart from a matte paint) to keep maintained.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
812 Posts
We have a 2022 Fusion Red XC40 Recharge Twin EV…I love it but had hoped to get Bursting Blue (cancelled for 2022). If Fjord Blue had been available, we prob would have gone for that but I do like the red.

·
Registered
Dead '22 XC40 Pure Elec.
49 Posts
I love it but had hoped to get Bursting Blue (cancelled for 2022). If Fjord Blue had been available, we prob would have gone for that but I do like the red.
^this is the exact process I went through. I loved the vibrant electric blue that overseas markets got and that's what I really wanted. The "Denim Blue" we got here in Australia was really lackluster in my eyes. Fjord Blue wasn't available and would have been my 2nd choice. In the end I went with Fusion Red partly because the online photos looked good, and I have never owned a red car (before now).

Reactions: Greg S

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We have a 2022 Fusion Red XC40 Recharge Twin EV…I love it but had hoped to get Bursting Blue (cancelled for 2022). If Fjord Blue had been available, we prob would have gone for that but I do like the red.
You must have the two tone Fusion Red then, it's a really amazing colour. Gutted they dropped the two tone on the PHEV models.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The very first brand new car I ever bought (Nissan S15 Silvia / 200SX) - was black. It was the last time I would ever buy a black car. I wouldn't recommend black to anybody. They're impossible to keep clean (anything not blacker than the car [which is everything on the planet] shows up). And things like scratches, swirl marks, water marks become so visible. It is the hardest colour (maybe apart from a matte paint) to keep maintained.
I was seriously considering the Onyx Black at first but for all the above reasons I decided (still in time to change the colour though) on the Fjord Blue.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
812 Posts
You must have the two tone Fusion Red then, it's a really amazing colour. Gutted they dropped the two tone on the PHEV models.
Yep, interesting they dropped the 2-tone, although it appears to still be standard on the XC40 EV version for 2023 from what I can tell on the Australian ordering website. I assume deleting the 2-tone roof is probably a paint shop throughput enhancement and cost reduction…

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, interesting they dropped the 2-tone, although it appears to still be standard on the XC40 EV version for 2023 from what I can tell on the Australian ordering website. I assume deleting the 2-tone roof is probably a paint shop throughput enhancement and cost reduction…
Yes, they're only keeping the two tone for the EV models. Not sure the reason why though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ordered Bright Dusk based on pictures. I hope I will be impressed when it arrives.
That's also an interesting colour, I think it should be similar to the Pebble Gray on the older versions. However I saw the sample paint at the dealer and it's lighter and in the sun it might show hints of pink. We all have to make choices on pictures, which is very stressful... 😂 The Volvo metallic paints really vary from the pictures.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's also an interesting colour, I think it should be similar to the Pebble Gray on the older versions. However I saw the sample paint at the dealer and it's lighter and in the sun it might show hints of pink. We all have to make choices on pictures, which is very stressful... 😂 The Volvo metallic paints really vary from the pictures.
I like pink. I have plenty of pink shirts.

·
Registered
2022 Late XC40 Twin, 2017 BRZ
872 Posts
Thunder Grey looks better in person than in the pictures. It would have been my 2nd choice (I have two-tone red). For a uniform color I think Fjord Blue is probably best, though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Lol, I didn't mean pink is not a nice colour. Can't wait to share some real life pictures. We have to wait too long for a car nowadays. 😅
I see you’re a fellow Maltese. It took october to July for a t5 PHEV and now taking march to September for the fully electric xc40. Can’t wait for the fully recharge, although I bet you’re going to enjoy the t5 recharge very much. It’s an excellent vehicle

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I see you’re a fellow Maltese. It took october to July for a t5 PHEV and now taking march to September for the fully electric xc40. Can’t wait for the fully recharge, although I bet you’re going to enjoy the t5 recharge very much. It’s an excellent vehicle
Iva, kif ahna? 🙂

Did you switch your order to the fully electric? My MY22 order should have been delivered this month but after the cancellation of all 22 orders shifting them to MY23 ones I should be getting it in November.

Considered going for a fully electric as the price difference wasn't much but I still am a bit hesitant to go overland with a fully electric vehicle.

·
Registered
49 Posts
We added every bell and whistle to the xc40 PHEV and actually ended up being more than the single motor ev. Twin motors added roughly 8k (now 11k). Now they removed pixel lighting as well from the Ev

You’re right about distance anxiety, especially when the infrastructure of our country isn’t up to spec. Let alone travelling overland.

One thing to keep in mind is that your t5 recharge PHEV will have sensus OS and not AAOS making it much more stable than us being android beta testers 🤪. I had the pleasure of driving both a t5 recharge PHEV and a d4 and the PHEV was way more fun and responsive.

We were expecting ours in July but we’re informed it’s been delayed to 19th September. In the meantime I’ve been overhauling my electricity supply to 3 phase as charging it on single phase would be a nightmare

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was seriously considering the Onyx Black at first but for all the above reasons I decided (still in time to change the colour though) on the Fjord Blue.
Onyx Black checking in. Love the metallic color and like any black car it does show the dirt quickly.However, swirl marks are not a problem for me as I refuse to ever go through a carwash and only hand wash the car.

I find Volvos colors a bit boring honestly, besides the red. I wish they came out with a more bold color instead of these grey and darker tones.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts