Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum - I've driven the XC40 for a year now. Overall very happy with one important mod: Dedicated winter wheels and snow tires worked amazingly well during this past snowy winter! I picked up the car in Sweden in August 2018 and after putting 3000+ miles on it driving in Europe it arrived in Colorado in November 2018. One issue so far: Vibration under braking at highway speed required the front brake rotors to be replaced at 10,000 miles as they were warped out of spec. I had a great experience at the dealership who immediately replaced them. I also did one cosmetic mod: I put a roof wrap on the white roof. Very happy with it! See pic

IMG_3133.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’m curious as to what wheels you chose for your winter tire set up. OEM Volvo wheels? Did you get tire pressure sensors in them?

·
Registered
14 Posts
New to this forum - I've driven the XC40 for a year now. Overall very happy with one important mod: Dedicated winter wheels and snow tires worked amazingly well during this past snowy winter! I picked up the car in Sweden in August 2018 and after putting 3000+ miles on it driving in Europe it arrived in Colorado in November 2018. One issue so far: Vibration under braking at highway speed required the front brake rotors to be replaced at 10,000 miles as they were warped out of spec. I had a great experience at the dealership who immediately replaced them. I also did one cosmetic mod: I put a roof wrap on the white roof. Very happy with it! See pic

View attachment 406
I am now searching for a set of dedicated winter wheels. I see in your photo that you went with aftermarket wheels. I'm wondering if there is any warrantee issue with them. I very much would also like to use aftermarket wheels but don't want to sacrifice coverage--did you research or discuss this issue with anyone at Volvo?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I can't imagine Volvo will object to winter wheels. Ask your local dealer - you won't be the first person to ask them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My concern isn’t winter wheels, but after market wheels. This week I spent a bit of time researching aftermarket wheels and found that virtually all aftermarket wheel manufacturers do not make a direct fit wheel for Volvo. I found only one and it was more of a racing wheel and too wide for a proper snow tire. You are left with either needing some kind of adapter or being stuck with a wheel that is supported by the lug bolts “Lug Centric” as opposed to proper wheels which are supposed to fit such that it is supported by the fit of the wheel on the bearing hub “Hub Centric”. The real risk is that the lug bolts holding a lug centric wheel can shear off after repeated shock or even after a single big pothole. Years ago I was in an accident with a pickup truck that lost a front wheel at high speed and it had aftermarket wheels; so, I’m exceedingly cautious about using them. Though I do believe when the fit is a proper hub centric fit, all is good, but I won’t accept anything else. So I guess OEM wheels is the only choice for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts