1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Receiving an error msg on DASH:
BRAKE FAILURE
STOP SAFELY

Displays on dash ... intermittently then goes away. Was told that it could be a brake sensor problem or battery issue. FRUSTRATED!! HELP

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Me
Receiving an error msg on DASH:
BRAKE FAILURE
STOP SAFELY

Displays on dash ... intermittently then goes away. Was told that it could be a brake sensor problem or battery issue. FRUSTRATED!! HELP

Anyone else experiencing this problem?
me! Just had my 2020 R-Design into the dealer today - bought it two months ago and yesterday brake failure came on, along with skid warning, abs. Went away on it’s own after being turned off all day (while I was at work). Apparently “communication blip” between modules. Software update installed by dealer. We shall see....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Me as well! Everything seems to be working fine. Taking to the dealership tomorrow morning. Just got the car 3 weeks ago! I am kind of annoyed :(

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please keep me up-to-date. Will let you know what I find
Me as well! Everything seems to be working fine. Taking to the dealership tomorrow morning. Just got the car 3 weeks ago! I am kind of annoyed :(
Paige... Congratulations on your purchase. This issue happened twice in Nov. Took my XC40 back to dealer. They said bring the vehicle back when msg is displaying again.

Has not happened since.

Let me know if you have good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
This also happened to me this past week. The Brake System failure message came on and stability system error. Brought it to the dealer and they installed new software, which seems like the default fix for 99% of the issues I have had with my XC40 (and there have been a lot) so I’m waiting to see if it actually fixes the issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great to know. Please let me know if this resolves the issue. Then I can take my XC40 to the dealer. Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My XC40 was parked in the garage. Started the vehicle this morning and encountered the "BRAKE FAILURE" msg again. Drove it a couple of miles, parked and restarted again. BRAKE FAILURE msg disappeared.

Needed to know what type of software update I should request. HELP!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My XC40 D3 Aut. has the same problem. Brake Failure message appears on the dash. After a few minutes of driving and turning the car off it disappears. I went to my Volvo dealer and they updated the sistem but it didnt help. I noticed that it happens when the car was washed or is there fog outside.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now I am at a lost. Especially when the system update didn't work. I will be taking my XC40 to the dealer when the msg displays again. Will keep everyone updated. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
This also happened to me this past week. The Brake System failure message came on and stability system error. Brought it to the dealer and they installed new software, which seems like the default fix for 99% of the issues I have had with my XC40 (and there have been a lot) so I’m waiting to see if it actually fixes the issue.
UPDATE: After the dealer did a full software reinstall, the error has not reappeared in a week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This just happened to me this morning, so I'm curious to see if it happens again. In the meantime, I've reached out to my service center to see if they advise bringing it in or not as turning off the car for two minutes cleared the message and it didn't come back on the remainder of my drive. A few months ago I had an intermittent headlight failure message and they ended up replacing one of the headlight units under an XC60 TSB that hadn't, at the time, been amended to include the XC40. I do hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've reached out to my service center to see if they advise bringing it in or not as turning off the car for two minutes cleared the message and it didn't come back on the remainder of my drive.
I did hear back from the service center who advised me it was probably "a blip" since it went away after a power down, and that they'd "just seen another like it...with no codes". I guess I will play the will it/won't it game for a while now.

·
131 Posts
I used to get a brake warning immediately after using a high pressure gas station car wash. Hasn’t happened for a while though. Hope you have solved your issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Brake safety light has been on a few times but first time locked the brakes completely, in heavy traffic. The car was immobilised for over 2 hours until the breakdown recovery arrived. Assist got it home and the car was trucked to the dealer. This last time the parking brake failed and warning light on again. Now back at the dealer for repair three months after the first instance, which was supposedly sorted by re-calibration and software update.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve found endless issues with my XC40, really disappointed as I’m realising every issue you encounter is a blip, or software... but it still keeps happening.

My break failure message has happened intermittently since October (could be cold weather related), but has happened 7 or 8 times. Took to dealer 4 times, nothing other than reboot or software update. Most frustrating thing is the loss of cruise control, automatic hold and lane assist when it happens. If reboot is the fix you waste 15 minutes parking and waiting.

If anyone in Newcastle (UK) experiences this issue we should arrange to visit dealer to show frequency.

Other issues I’ve had:
Internal air system fan burnout - 3 months to find issue, 5 days in garage to take out dash and replace (would have to pull over to manually clear windscreen)
High beam malfunction - fix tbc
Boot Handle plastic screw fixing snapped - replaced free as common problem

1 - 19 of 19 Posts