Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Travelling down steep hill by brakes failed. First thing was a loud bang from underneath the car then nothing on the brake pedal. Released my foot and reapplied pressure, feel was at the very bottom of the pedal with no servo assist. Drivers display light up like a xmas tree with ' Braking system requires servicing' or something like as I was too busy steering to safety and changing my pants!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Travelling down steep hill by brakes failed. First thing was a loud bang from underneath the car then nothing on the brake pedal. Released my foot and reapplied pressure, feel was at the very bottom of the pedal with no servo assist. Drivers display light up like a xmas tree with ' Braking system requires servicing' or something like as I was too busy steering to safety and changing my pants!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What was the problem?
seemingly there is a "brake pressure switch" which monitors various pressures relating to Anti lock braking
/ servo pump and brake software. The switch had an intermittent fault giving out false readings to the braking system resulting in brake failure. It was only discovered when the head techie noticed the fault code (previously not detected) was pointing to the ALB system. The fault, I was told, had NEVER Been reported by Volvo. Since then I have found out that in the new models the brake servo has been removed and the brake system PUMP has taken over this duty. Don't have any details of when this change occurred.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts