Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone purchased the new bike carrier made specifically for the XC40? I do have the Volvo trailer hitch installed. I have a Sherpa 2.0 bike rack but would need to purchase an adapter to make fit this hitch and was considering just purchasing a different carrier as the Sherpa doesn't seem that secure to me. Any experiences with the new XC40 would be appreciated, especially concerning ease of use. Also, do you have any other carriers you'd recommend for it. (Of course, I am partial toward a Thule as it is made in Sweden and will remind me of my wonderful OSD experience.)

·
Registered
212 Posts
I was looking into this at one point as I plan everything ahead of placing my order and came across the following video providing a useful demonstration

·
Registered
41 Posts
Up on the Volvo accessories page it looks like the OEM towbar rack is currently 25% off. Fits both 2" and 1 1/4" receivers too. They've had this same kit on the XC60, XC70 and XC90.

·
Registered
212 Posts
After seeing positive feedback on Thule's product line from other Volvo owners i'm starting to think that will be the route I go once ready. I know an XC90 owner that absolutely loves their thule bike rack setup.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
video

Thanks for all the replies. The one in the video appeals to me, but I haven't been able to locate it. I even went to the dealership and asked the parts department and they don't have it and weren't able to tell me how to get it. Wonder if it just a European model.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello Wendy
I'm in Australia, so not sure how this applies in North America. I looked at the two bike Volvo towball carrier and after a bit of research it would appear to be built by Thule based on their 925 rack. In Australia the Thule 925 is cheaper than the Volvo version. My problem was that I really want the Thule 938, which can carry cruiser type e-bikes with longish wheelbases and around 25Kg in weight, so it looks like Thule rather than Volvo for me. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just wanted to update that I went ahead and purchased an inexpensive adapter and had it installed on the Kuat Sherpa 20 and it is working like a charm. Seems very secure. Saved a lot of money by not purchasing a new rack. The rack does make the sensors go haywire when in reverse, though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just wanted to update that I went ahead and purchased an inexpensive adapter and had it installed on the Kuat Sherpa 20 and it is working like a charm. Seems very secure. Saved a lot of money by not purchasing a new rack. The rack does make the sensors go haywire when in reverse, though.
Still happy using the Sherpa 2.0 with the XC40? Can I ask what adapter/extended you used? Thinking about getting the Sherpa 2.0 for our XC40, and want to make sure we have all the necessary parts. Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, it's working out just fine! Honestly, I don't know the name of the adapter--the bike shop at the Alpine Shop knew what I needed and installed it for me. It was like $15.00. I bet e-trailer might have what you need.

·
Registered
3 Posts
T
Yes, it's working out just fine! Honestly, I don't know the name of the adapter--the bike shop at the Alpine Shop knew what I needed and installed it for me. It was like $15.00. I bet e-trailer might have what you need.
Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm planning on buying an after market trailer hitch but the installer is saying they need to cut a hole in the bumper to make it fit. Is this correct? Anyone else have this done? On the Volvo hitch page it says: "The vehicle is prepared for installation in the bodywork." What does this mean?

The Volvo hitch is $395 for the part and another $400 for the installation at the dealer, while the aftermarket part + installation will be $500 total.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We just had a trailer hitch installed at a local car shop. Dealership wanted $1450 (negotiated to $1250) but the local guys (who we've taken BMW's and Audi's to previously) did it for $620. The installers didn't want to cut the bumper for the light controls. We wanted the hitch primarily for a bike rack. All the light controls are on a long wire that we can keep in the spare tire area, and only move it out when we tow and need lights. Haven't used it yet, but put the Kuat Sherpa 2.0 bike rack on and it fits perfectly with easy entrance into truck if needed. photos

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
8 Participants
Biker
Volvo XC40 Forum
XC 40 Forum - A community where enthusiasts can discuss the Volvo XC40 Hybrid SUV’s off road capabilities, interior, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing