Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the three weeks I’ve had my P8, I’ve had max charge set to 80%. Tonight I wanted to charge to 100% ahead of my first long road trip. It was at 75% when I plugged into my L2 charger at home tonight and now it’s at 80% and won’t go any further.

Even though I have max charge now set to 100%, it is 80% charged and says Charge Complete. I’ve tried all the magic reset tricks.

Any advice?

·
Registered
117 Posts
CTRL-ALT-DELETE

Follow instructions in other posts to reboot. (Hold center button)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CTRL-ALT-DELETE

Follow instructions in other posts to reboot. (Hold center button)
I tried every reset that I know of (center button, defrost, factory reset, etc .. and all of the magic tricks from SeattleCat). Nothing worked. Not only would it not charge past 80, the next day I lost GPS (as reported by others) and cannot connect to LTE or my wifi. It’s hosed. I’m trying the power off and leave it over night method now, but not hopeful. Already made a service appt at local dealership.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ChargePoint HomeFlex. I checked all the settings and couldn’t find anything that would cap it. I also got the car down to 78% then tried charging from a public ChargePoint charger. Same thing - stopped at 80%.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Can you go out into the world and try a world charger see if that can charge you past 80. That would rule out the home charger. Though it sounds like you have already logically ruled it out as the problem.

From a software engineering perspective I prefer testing vs logic.

Good luck. Sorry the car is fighting you. Have you tried sacrificing an old calculator to it? Something from Texas Instruments works best. (This last paragraph was humor and I have actually not lost it)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, see last post. I tried a public charger to rule out my home EVSE. Same issue from public charger.

Back to the dealership we go …

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Ugh :(

That is awful. And something we would never know is there lurking waiting to bite us.

One final test. Could you set it to 90%? Perhaps there is a bug in the 100% setting. I have had mine set to 90 since I got it following Volvo directions.

Apologies if you have done this already and I missed it.

Cheers

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sure, I’ll try that. I’m away from the car for a couple days. Will report back.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Gotcha. I can reverse try it and set mine to 100 and see if it works though I will have to sit there to make sure it does not get to 100 as that is bad.

Other places suggest 99 as the max you should ever set to and only then rarely.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Really? Why? I didn’t know that. I thought it was just fine to charge to 100% occasionally.

I read a few of the “Charging” sections in the manual and didn’t see anything indicating 100% was bad.

I’ve never had mine above 80% since I owned it. But we were going on a 200 mile drive over two mountain passes and so I thought I should try to max it out before we left (was going to be our first long road trip in the P8).

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Was something I read somewhere. Not stating it as fact.

Interestingly ABRP never tells you to charge to 100 even on its orange/dubious legs of a journey. It only ever goes to 99%. Though this might be a setting so who knows.

200 miles and 2 mountain passes nice! I look forward to the post mission report. Is there anywhere you can charge in between? Are you assuming the maximum efficiency driving model of capped top speed and no lead footed fun?

Good luck on the journey.

Oh wait did you not take the P8? If not then next/another time :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
When I lost LTE... I lost control of charging setting also. After LTE return, I was able to contoll charging setting. Volvo need to fix this issue. It looks their system has big bug.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To close this out …

Just got back from a 4 day road trip (unfortunately had to bring the gas guzzler). When I got home I got in the P8 and turned it on and … bingo … everything is back to working fine. It has LTE, GPS, connects to home network, and will charge past 80%.

Before I left Saturday (in gas guzzler) I had tried all of the reset tricks, including factory reset. Finally, I just powered everything off and left it. And when I returned four days later everything was back to functioning normally (I had to reinstall apps, log back in to google account, pair phone to Bluetooth, etc)

On one hand I’m bummed I didn’t get to have my first long road trip adventure in the P8. On the other hand, it would have sucked if this problem happened while I was in the middle of a long trip.

Fingers crossed it doesn’t happen again.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
So you have it a good long nap …

That actually makes sense. Some sub systems might retain charge for a period of time and so do not reset without an extended period of no power.

Similar to I unplugging a device for 1 second is different than 10 seconds.

However if the fix is a 4 day power down … that does not get added to the magic list!!!!!

Very glad it started working for you.

To clarify. It is still set to 100%?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I charged to 90%.

I’m going to study up about pros/cons of charging to 100%.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Did you try charging before you changed the cap to 90 from 100?

Wondering if it was the nap or the moving from 100 to 90 that got it going.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes. It was at 80% before charging. I set it to 100% and it started charging. When it got to 81% I changed it to 90%

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Nice so it was the power of the car nap :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts