Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UPDATE: This was already bought up in the New Owners threat. Apologies for the duplicate.

I have been using the wireless charging pad with my iPhone 12 Pro Max and it gets REALLY hot. Much hotter than I have felt my iPhone get any other time. I don't use a case.

Anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I prefer that you started another thread, that other thread now covers about 17 different topics and it's like going to a fancy dinner party.

As mentioned there, heat is a normal part of wireless charging. Wireless charging is about 15% less efficient and that loss is generally turned into heat.*

That being said heat is the enemy.

Some tips:

Just like your car, don't charge it past 80 or 90 percent unless you know you will need the power.

Make sure that your phone is placed on the charger so that it is constantly charging, if the phone is moving on and off the charger you will generate a lot more waste heat.

Don't charge when the cabin temperature is high. As mentioned the charging area is not well ventilated so the heat is already struggling to dissipate

*I don't remember where I read this but I can remember the cover photo from the article.

There is a wireless charging section in this article:
"Why Does My iPhone Get So Hot? Reasons Why and How To Fix It. – PITAKA" Why Does My iPhone Get So Hot? Reasons Why and How To Fix It.

·
Registered
1 Posts
UPDATE: This was already bought up in the New Owners threat. Apologies for the duplicate.

I have been using the wireless charging pad with my iPhone 12 Pro Max and it gets REALLY hot. Much hotter than I have felt my iPhone get any other time. I don't use a case.

There appears to be an update that address the iPhone 12 charging issue.

Updates from and including April 2021
  • For XC40: Improved software for better driving ability at start.
  • For XC40 Twin Engine/Recharge Plug-in Hybrid: Improvement of blower noise.
  • Problem with wireless charging for iPhone 12 is fixed.
  • Improvements of the engine control system's optimization.
  • Improvements to transmission system optimization.
Font Screenshot Gadget Electronic device Communication Device

·
Registered
136 Posts
With wireless charging, there is always a sweet spot - where the two charging coils are perfectly lined up and energy transfer is optimal and excess generated heat is minimal. Left-to-right is easy - just center the phone in the space. Back to front is harder and may take some trial and error.

Unfortunately the phone wanders around in the charging space while bouncing down the road. I've used my 3D printer to create a simple tray that keeps the phone in the right position. Version 0.1 is in the car now, and helps a lot, but there will be further tweaks.

Reactions: mike1234

·
Registered
4 Posts

Hey, I am having the same issue with my iPhone XS (without a case). I am using a wireless Carplay dongle, so I can charge my phone wirelessly. It appears, that Carplay stops working after 50min, because my phone gets too hot. I also read in this thread, that some wireless charging modules are "faulty"...

(Source: Wireless charger barely charges and gets phones super hot.)

I am thinking about riding to my car dealer and tell him the problem. Maybe mine is also defect...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts